2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 S2 Wiring - Install on 535
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Apex99
Private
 
Apex99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

JB4 S2 Wiring - Install on 535

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me...

In the pic of my wires in my F10 '13 535i xDrive engine, can someone let me know what #'d CAN wires the green and brown wires from the S2 connect to? I must be color blind cuz I can't put my eyes or my finger on this.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
 
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Apex99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Rbembas_M3
First Lieutenant
 
Rbembas_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2011 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BUFORD GA

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Where is this harness located in your car? I have the stage 2 but don't have the CANBUS located where Terry instructions shows. I was told that I have run stage 1. I was just curious if there is another location?
Rbembas_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Apex99
Private
 
Apex99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
Where is this harness located in your car? I have the stage 2 but don't have the CANBUS located where Terry instructions shows. I was told that I have run stage 1. I was just curious if there is another location?
I'm pretty sure this is the CANBUS on my car...I emailed Terry to ask if this pic looks like it will support S2 and he said yes. It's hard to probably see because of the close up pic, but this is located on the passenger side under the trim panel.

Thanks.
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Apex99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Rbembas_M3
First Lieutenant
 
Rbembas_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2011 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BUFORD GA

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the CANBUS on my car...I emailed Terry to ask if this pic looks like it will support S2 and he said yes. It's hard to probably see because of the close up pic, but this is located on the passenger side under the trim panel.

Thanks.
Thank you I'll take a look at mine this afternoon when I reinstall.
Rbembas_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
obiltagi3
V.I.P.
 
obiltagi3's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 (2011 535i)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tustin, Orange County

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...16&postcount=3
obiltagi3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
rjm98119
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me...

In the pic of my wires in my F10 '13 535i xDrive engine, can someone let me know what #'d CAN wires the green and brown wires from the S2 connect to? I must be color blind cuz I can't put my eyes or my finger on this.

Thanks in advance!
Man, that's strange... your wiring arrangement there looks totally different than my '13 535i xDrive.

I know this doesn't help much, but by way of contrast, I just installed my JB4 S2 this past weekend and the arrangement of the wires looks exactly like the picture referenced in Terry's link above. In particular, that fat red wire from location #6 in your photo is all the way on the right, and there's a yellow wire right under it. (Uh, I guess I already said it looked exactly like Terry's picture didn't I... :/).
rjm98119 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Apex99
Private
 
Apex99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm98119 View Post
Man, that's strange... your wiring arrangement there looks totally different than my '13 535i xDrive.

I know this doesn't help much, but by way of contrast, I just installed my JB4 S2 this past weekend and the arrangement of the wires looks exactly like the picture referenced in Terry's link above. In particular, that fat red wire from location #6 in your photo is all the way on the right, and there's a yellow wire right under it. (Uh, I guess I already said it looked exactly like Terry's picture didn't I... :/).
Thanks for the note and for seeing what I'm trying to wrap my head around!! I don't get it...the wiring placements look to be different as well as the colors! If anyone can weigh in, I'd be grateful!
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Apex99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
mikey0120
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F10 535Xi M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY

Posts: 337
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
Thanks for the note and for seeing what I'm trying to wrap my head around!! I don't get it...the wiring placements look to be different as well as the colors! If anyone can weigh in, I'd be grateful!


I have the same harness as you and tried to install the S2 but kept getting drivetrain malfunction. Were you able to figure it out?
__________________
Current: 2013 F10 535Xi M-Sport
Retired: 2010 E90 335i M-Sport
Retired: 2007 E90 335i
Retired: 2001 E46 330i
mikey0120 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
Apex99
Private
 
Apex99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
Thanks for the note and for seeing what I'm trying to wrap my head around!! I don't get it...the wiring placements look to be different as well as the colors! If anyone can weigh in, I'd be grateful!


I have the same harness as you and tried to install the S2 but kept getting drivetrain malfunction. Were you able to figure it out?
Nope. Nada. I didn't end up ordering Stage 2 cuz I never got clarity on this. If you find out how it's done, pleeez post it up. A thousand thanks!
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Apex99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
VWtoBMW
Captain
 
VWtoBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 740Li
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 788
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 535i xDrive  [5.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had some questions along the same line when I did mine. I was very skeptical and nervous when I got to that point. I emailed Burger Tuning and they gave me some pointers.

It is basically the wires at the far right. Below is a pic of the first one I tapped in to. It is confusing because there are others of the same color to the left of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
Nope. Nada. I didn't end up ordering Stage 2 cuz I never got clarity on this. If you find out how it's done, pleeez post it up. A thousand thanks!
__________________
2013 F02 740Li Mineral White Metallic on Saddle Brown. 30% tint, 21" Style 311 Wheel with Pirelli P-Zero
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72995&dateline=130825  4452
VWtoBMW is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Apex99
Private
 
Apex99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 65
iTrader: (1)

Thanks! Do you happen to have a pic of both wires tapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWtoBMW View Post
I had some questions along the same line when I did mine. I was very skeptical and nervous when I got to that point. I emailed Burger Tuning and they gave me some pointers.

It is basically the wires at the far right. Below is a pic of the first one I tapped in to. It is confusing because there are others of the same color to the left of it.

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Apex99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
PeterC4
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex99 View Post
Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me...

In the pic of my wires in my F10 '13 535i xDrive engine, can someone let me know what #'d CAN wires the green and brown wires from the S2 connect to? I must be color blind cuz I can't put my eyes or my finger on this.

Thanks in advance!
Here is my F10 12 535 xDrive...Looks the same. Notice the twisted wires are the same colours as yours.

__________________
2012 BMW 535xi MSport Carbon Black
PeterC4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
PeterC4
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

In speaking with Terry today, he was not sure what connection might work with this set-up but...if you look a the twisted wires it might be JB4 Brown Wire to Factory Green Wire (twisted) and JB4 Green to Pink Factory (twisted). Anyone try this?
__________________
2012 BMW 535xi MSport Carbon Black
PeterC4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
PeterC4
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Another Pic - Zoom Out 2012 535xi CAN wires

Notice the twisted black and yellow wires on the left. They may be the ones that need to be tapped into from the JB4 to get Stage 2 to work.

__________________
2012 BMW 535xi MSport Carbon Black
PeterC4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
 
Sharbotcom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sharbot Lake, Ontario

Posts: 360
iTrader: (0)

Reversed wiring harnesses

It appears that on some of the 535 F10s the wiring harnesses are reversed. PeterC4 asked me to check my wiring harness against his as sure enough the harness that the JB4 needs to tap into is on the left when facing the car head-on whereas mine is on the right (as depicted in the JB4 instructions).

Sorry about the crappy picture but if you compare the left harness in the attached picture with the right harness in the previous post you will see they are same.

Bill
Attached Images
 
__________________
2011 535i xDrive, Dark Graphite Metallic, Veneto Beige Dakota Leather, Technology Package, M Sport Package, Executive Package delivered Christmas Eve '10, Mods - quad tips, 20% tint, JB4.
Sharbotcom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #16
Eki88
BxBadBoyy88
 
Eki88's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2013 535 Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bronx NY

Posts: 285
iTrader: (0)

Just ordered my JB4 and this stuff is getting me super nervous for my install lol
__________________
2013 AW 535Xi
Eki88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SAN DIEGO

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Let me know how it works. I gotta go out and check out my harness. Until then...
__________________
13 535i Msport
DANMACINSD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
PeterC4
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

The wires look like they are there for Stage 2 JB4

This is an important thread as the notion that some BMW F10s may not be Stage 2 compatible may be inaccurate. I believe that the wiring harnesses are sometimes reversed and also think that the colour codes are likely consistent within a model platform. I have not had the chance to try this but I do think you should compare the pictures I have posted to your car and to the instruction picture on Terry Burger's web site and hopefully you can identify what I have seen. When I get a chance, I will likely try the upgrade and what we need to do is identify which wires we need to plug into. It may be the ones closest to the red wire in my picture on the left bundle.

Hopefully I will get a chance to take some even better pics on the left bundle connection.
__________________
2012 BMW 535xi MSport Carbon Black

Last edited by PeterC4; 06-26-2013 at 07:57 PM.
PeterC4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
bb2405
Lieutenant
 
bb2405's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 433
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [4.38]
install is easy guys, ive put the tune on and off multiple times. works great, im also running ethanol and about to install my downpipe
bb2405 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST