2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Suspension noise from rear
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Suspension noise from rear

I find that the suspension seems to clatter a fair bit over the rough stuff. I have standard suspension (no VDC) and 17'' runflats. When I got the car I discovered that the tyres were over inflated so I let air out and adjusted them to the correct settings - 33 front and 36 rear. But I actually think it was less noisy with the higher pressure in the tyres, but that makes no sense! Any one else experience this?
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia

Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

I often get a noticeable "thud" from the rear end over big bumps. There's one bump on my way to work that upsets the rear end so bad it feels like it hops. Ironically, my lowered MKIII VW eats it right up.
__________________
vdubturbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
MELLOWYELLOW06
Captain
 
MELLOWYELLOW06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 535 MSport & 2012 650i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 842
iTrader: (0)

We picked up 2 535s last month.

I havent noticed anything but my brother mentioned something about some noise from the rear.

Ill check with him when I see him later.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando, FL USA

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

I have the same thing with mine. Doesn't really bother me. Mine has the M-sports suspension which makes the car firmer. Could be just plastics that move around. I dunno.
__________________
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
BimmerGuyFL is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
dbs600
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,238
iTrader: (0)

Probably due to BMWNA instructing dealers to covertly rotate shock towers and dealers failing to torque the bolts back to correct pressures. I had the same 'thud', which was delayed in sound and feeling when going over certain bumps, but only from the right rear. After SEVERAL complaints, a different dealer found bolts that weren't torqued completely, which they tightened, which solved the problem. Sad to say, but it's disgusting the way the company treats customers.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-12-2013 at 08:42 PM.
dbs600 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Probably due to BMWNA instructing dealers to covertly rotate shock towers and dealers failing to torque the bolts back to correct pressures. I had the same 'thud', which was delayed in sound and feeling when going over certain bumps, but only from the right rear. After SEVERAL complaints, a different dealer found bolts that weren't torqued completely, which they tightened, which solved the problem. Sad to say, but it's disgusting the way the company treats customers.
Why would they do this? How can I get it sorted?
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
dbs600
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,238
iTrader: (0)

It was a supposed fix for pulling to the right.

Describe the problem and state it sounds like bolts may be lose.

Keep us posted.
dbs600 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I find that the suspension seems to clatter a fair bit over the rough stuff. I have standard suspension (no VDC) and 17'' runflats. When I got the car I discovered that the tyres were over inflated so I let air out and adjusted them to the correct settings - 33 front and 36 rear. But I actually think it was less noisy with the higher pressure in the tyres, but that makes no sense! Any one else experience this?
It appears you are finding what I found on the rough stuff on standard suspension. The standard suspension is just not good enough and the rear can amplify some road imperfections. (Had that issue on my E91 330d). Your findings with the tyre pressure could well be right, many have found lowering pressure does not improve the ride quality, can make it worse. Commented on for many different models with RFTs. It can be the fact you increase the tyre spring rate (in some situations and frequencies) by riding more on the stiff sidewalls, rather than on the crown of the tyres where there is a bit more 'give', when the tyre is working, if you get the pressures just right.

Not convinced that something is loose, you mention the rear, the adjustments were for the front of faulty cars wth steering pull.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,296
iTrader: (0)

BTW, has this clatter got worse as the winter has come on with lower temperatures? I assume you are on summer tyres, which can harden up a bit with cooler temperatures and that can give more issues if the suspension is already struggling to give good ride quality on poor surfaces.

Been there with the E91, so have a bit of experience when tyres just don't work the same in cooler temperatures.

I'm on Adaptive Drive and running 17" winter tyres. There is a slight difference in ride quality as the temperature drops, but the suspension still does pretty well. As I'm in the touring I have the benefit of rear air suspension, that helps sorts the rear out as well with its variable spring rate. I sense every little helps to cope with using RFTs.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
dbs600
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,238
iTrader: (0)

Rear shocks relate to steering geometry as well, as our cars, w/ and w/o xDrive, are capable of and require 4-wheel alignments.
dbs600 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BTW, has this clatter got worse as the winter has come on with lower temperatures? I assume you are on summer tyres, which can harden up a bit with cooler temperatures and that can give more issues if the suspension is already struggling to give good ride quality on poor surfaces.

Been there with the E91, so have a bit of experience when tyres just don't work the same in cooler temperatures.

I'm on Adaptive Drive and running 17" winter tyres. There is a slight difference in ride quality as the temperature drops, but the suspension still does pretty well. As I'm in the touring I have the benefit of rear air suspension, that helps sorts the rear out as well with its variable spring rate. I sense every little helps to cope with using RFTs.

HighlandPete
Thank you for your reply. I only have the car a week so I can't comment re temperature. It was a bit better today when I had a couple of passengers in the rear. I thought that by sticking with the 17s I'd get the best ride - it seems I was wrong. I will try inflating the tyres tomorrow to the higher 'fully loaded' pressures and see how that goes. If it doesn't improve things I might look at non-runflats and a can of foam.
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Thank you for your reply. I only have the car a week so I can't comment re temperature. It was a bit better today when I had a couple of passengers in the rear. I thought that by sticking with the 17s I'd get the best ride - it seems I was wrong. I will try inflating the tyres tomorrow to the higher 'fully loaded' pressures and see how that goes. If it doesn't improve things I might look at non-runflats and a can of foam.
Is your car new?

BTW, besides the cars being wheel size sensitive for ride quality, I've found RFTs are very tyre pressure sensitive and you may need to experiment a bit, a couple of psi at a time, to get the best drive.

Having tried a few F10/11 models I came to the conclusion the cars needed at least VDC to improve the ride quality. I've also found in my E91 330d the ride quality on RFTs was far better with a loaded car, the suspension then worked in harmony, rather that what I've concluded are conflicts and amplification of imperfections on some surfaces.

Quote:
WHATCAR Wrote: No other executive car can rival the BMW 5 Series 520d SE for refinement, quality or efficiency. Adding Variable Damper Control makes it great to drive, too, but be warned - itís not nearly as good without.
Tend to agree.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Rear shocks relate to steering geometry as well, as our cars, w/ and w/o xDrive, are capable of and require 4-wheel alignments.
Agree about 4-wheel alignment, but the rear shocks (dampers, UK) are vertically mounted components, and not influencing alignment geometry. Ride height maybe, but not adjusted with a 4-wheel alignment.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
jedpause
Private First Class
 
jedpause's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d M Sport Auto
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)

Dom, FWIW, I don't have this issue, I have standard suspension (removed M-Sport as I didn't want it to be too hard)... which would be same as yours.

You do feel / hear the tyres on the rough stuff, but only the normal sounds you'd expect with 275/18's RFT's at the back. Sounds like you need some adjustments !
__________________
Alpine White () F10 520d M Sport Auto - 8 speed Auto/paddles - 350M 18" Dunlop Rear/Michelin Front RFT's - Deleted Sports Suspension - Tom Tom Navigation Pro
jedpause is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
dbs600
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New York, NY

Posts: 1,238
iTrader: (0)

Not entirely sure, but thanks for the info, Pete; just stating what I've come across. Hope resolution is found for the OP.
dbs600 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone for your replies. The car is only a week old. I will experiment with tyre pressures and if that doesn't work I will probably look at non- run-flats.
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST