2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Carbon Fiber Vinyl - Front Grill, Side Mirros and Fog Lights
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Carbon Fiber Vinyl - Front Grill, Side Mirros and Fog Lights

..and so I tried some ideas using photoshop and thought to implement them

bought a carbon fiber vinyl and wrapped my front grill slate, side mirrors and fog light with it..I did the fog lights as I wanted to hide them after installing LED DRLs..this is my first time playing with CF vinyl..here are some pics







Before CF mods


After CF mods


CF mods dark shot
qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

Nice
I did this on my Honda Stepwgn.
But for the BMW I got the real CF parts.
If they dont make the parts in Real CF then I use the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhi79 View Post
..and so I tried some ideas using photoshop and thought to implement them

bought a carbon fiber vinyl and wrapped my front grill slate, side mirrors and fog light with it..I did the fog lights as I wanted to hide them after installing LED DRLs..this is my first time playing with CF vinyl..here are some pics







Before CF mods


After CF mods


CF mods dark shot
off topic, is that led next to the fog light OEM or after market.
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #4
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
Nice
I did this on my Honda Stepwgn.
But for the BMW I got the real CF parts.
If they dont make the parts in Real CF then I use the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl
Thanks! I actually wanted to just black out grill slates and hide fog lights and then decided to test it on the side mirrors too. If and when the grill slates vinyl peels off, I will just replace the slates from a gloss black performance grill as I have searched enough and none of the CF grills being sold have CF slates..they are all black! I plan to order real CF side mirror covers at that time too but for now they look fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
off topic, is that led next to the fog light OEM or after market.
These are OEM DRLs that you often find displayed on the service advisor desk

F10 retrofit DRLs
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...89&hg=63&fg=95
qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
snj1013
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 528i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

How much
snj1013 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013
How much
got the CF vinyl from a friend. The LED DRLs were complimentary from dealer when I got backup camera retrofit, CF spoiler and M performance exhaust..you can check the install thread here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789141
__________________
2010 BMW X5M
qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Tdubyu
New Member
 
Tdubyu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5351
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 535I  [0.00]
2012 BMW/535i  [0.00]
LED Connection

Hi qadhi7
I'm planning on doing the same mods you've done, CF and LED. Can you tell me where did you connect the LED lights to?

Thanks Tdubyu
Tdubyu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubyu View Post
Hi qadhi7
I'm planning on doing the same mods you've done, CF and LED. Can you tell me where did you connect the LED lights to?

Thanks Tdubyu
All installation was done by the dealer. They have installed a small switch inside the glove box on the driver's side which turns on/off the LEDs. I am not bothered about the switch anyway since I have blacked out the stock fog lights (don't use them anymore) and never turn off the LEDs. The switch in completely hidden and does not impact the use of the glove box.

Regarding CF..I have already removed CF slates. Bought BMW M performance black grilles and interchanged my stock chrome grill slates with black ones creating M5 style look..you can see the result here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790998

Also, I am not happy with the CF vinyl finish on the mirrors and have already ordered CF mirror covers from eBay. Will remove the vinyl as soon as the CF covers arrive. These CF covers install over the stock covers. Here is a link on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-5-SE...-/160702938031
qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhi79 View Post
All installation was done by the dealer. They have installed a small switch inside the glove box on the driver's side which turns on/off the LEDs. I am not bothered about the switch anyway since I have blacked out the stock fog lights (don't use them anymore) and never turn off the LEDs. The switch in completely hidden and does not impact the use of the glove box.

Regarding CF..I have already removed CF slates. Bought BMW M performance black grilles and interchanged my stock chrome grill slates with black ones creating M5 style look..you can see the result here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790998

Also, I am not happy with the CF vinyl finish on the mirrors and have already ordered CF mirror covers from eBay. Will remove the vinyl as soon as the CF covers arrive. These CF covers install over the stock covers. Here is a link on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-5-SE...-/160702938031
I got the mirror CF cover from these guys and you will need to mod them a bit to make them fit 100%.
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
I got the mirror CF cover from these guys and you will need to mod them a bit to make them fit 100%.
Can you post some pics of the installation and what exactly you needed to mod for fitment?
qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
AP
Captain
 
AP's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 530d Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 612
iTrader: (0)

I don't get why you've added some LED DRls, they come as standard and I think the standard ones (assuming you're xenon there) are quite possibly the best out there in the market. very distinct .
Just my opinion!
AP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qadhi79 View Post
Can you post some pics of the installation and what exactly you needed to mod for fitment?
When you fold the mirror in, the bottom part of the CF will hit the car
You will have to cut a piece off on the bottom.

Last edited by 528imsport; 02-05-2014 at 07:56 AM.
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
qadhi79
Private
 
qadhi79's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M (Melbourne Red)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Qatar

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Finally I got the package and have installed them. These covers are thin but have a good finish. Installation is done using thin 3M tape supplied with the covers.

The fit is perfect but since these are overlays i.e. you install them over your existing mirror covers, you need to slightly cut the bottom part to adjust for the mirror movement. This small cut is in the bottom and not visible at all so you don't have to worry about the finishing. Special thanks to "M_528i" for the cut picture and directions

Initial test fit, cutting and final installation took me around 20 minutes total. These CF covers look great and being thin, its hard to notice that these are overlays!

Here are some pictures of the installation from different angles.















qadhi79 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
528imsport
Major
 
528imsport's Avatar
 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

[quote=qadhi79;13420493]Finally I got the package and have installed them. These covers are thin but have a good finish. Installation is done using thin 3M tape supplied with the covers.

The fit is perfect but since these are overlays i.e. you install them over your existing mirror covers, you need to slightly cut the bottom part to adjust for the mirror movement. This small cut is in the bottom and not visible at all so you don't have to worry about the finishing. Special thanks to "M_528i" for the cut picture and directions

Initial test fit, cutting and final installation took me around 20 minutes total. These CF covers look great and being thin, its hard to notice that these are overlays!
QUOTE]

congrats
now need to get the CF front grill, CF b pillar, CF eye lid, CF roof spoiler, CF boot spoiler, Cf side indicator, CF wheel emblem and CF bonnet and boot emblem
528imsport is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST