2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK swapping wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

swapping wheels

Can anyone tell me if these wheels

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...res/1007914759

will fit my F10 without the need for spacers etc. The tyres are 245/40/18 instead of the recommended 245/45/18 but I don't think that would matter much, or would it?

Thanks.
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,407
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Can anyone tell me if these wheels

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...res/1007914759

will fit my F10 without the need for spacers etc. The tyres are 245/40/18 instead of the recommended 245/45/18 but I don't think that would matter much, or would it?

Thanks.
I can't identify what style they are, look like replica rims, but not sure, so will pass on opinion. But if they are similar to Styling 135, 8x18" with ET 20, will be pushed out 10mm without need for spacers.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Tyre size is wrong, too low a profile for the F10. You do need the 45 aspect ratio to get the sidewall dimension correct, particularly as you are after better ride quality.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I can't identify what style they are, look like replica rims, but not sure, so will pass on opinion. But if they are similar to Styling 135, 8x18" with ET 20, will be pushed out 10mm without need for spacers.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/

Tyre size is wrong, too low a profile for the F10. You do need the 45 aspect ratio to get the sidewall dimension correct, particularly as you are after better ride quality.

HighlandPete
Thank you for that. I looked at the link you very kindly sent and I see they are style 166. I wasn't sure about them.. I could buy them and fit new tyres of the correct size. How do you think they would look on the F10?

Last edited by Dom; 01-27-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,407
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Thank you for that. I looked at the link you very kindly sent and I see they are style 166. I wasn't sure about them.. I could buy them and fit new tyres of the correct size. How do you think they would look on the F10?
Styling 166 is a 19" rim, plus it is 8.5" width with ET 12. They would be about 25mm out into the arches, if they do fit.

Still not sure about the 18" wheels in your link.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Styling 166 is a 19" rim, plus it is 8.5" width with ET 12. They would be about 25mm out into the arches, if they do fit.

Still not sure about the 18" wheels in your link.

HighlandPete
They are Styling 166 but they are 18''. Does that mean they aren't original BMW wheels?
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,407
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
They are Styling 166 but they are 18''. Does that mean they aren't original BMW wheels?
As I understand it, BMW don't make an 18" version of the Styling 166, only the 19" size. But there are definitely replicas in 18" variations.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As I understand it, BMW don't make an 18" version of the Styling 166, only the 19" size. But there are definitely replicas in 18" variations.

HighlandPete
I don't want to go bigger than 18'' for ride quality purposes. What do you reckon about these?
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,407
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I don't want to go bigger than 18'' for ride quality purposes. What do you reckon about these?
You would need to know the exact size and offset, plus I'd be concerned of the quality of the rims themselves. There are good and bad in replica rims. I personally would prefer a rim type from the OEM range for the car, but obviously will cost more if you can find a used set.

It is a difficult shout, as to what solution is going to give you what you want. Will an 18" non run-flat improve the ride quality enough over rough roads? Rim weight and tyre specification could be as critical as size and a move to a non run-flat.

Plus the comment in the other thread, "it's smoother, but not 1200 worth smoother".

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Dom
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Co.Donegal, Ireland

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You would need to know the exact size and offset, plus I'd be concerned of the quality of the rims themselves. There are good and bad in replica rims. I personally would prefer a rim type from the OEM range for the car, but obviously will cost more if you can find a used set.

It is a difficult shout, as to what solution is going to give you what you want. Will an 18" non run-flat improve the ride quality enough over rough roads? Rim weight and tyre specification could be as critical as size and a move to a non run-flat.

Plus the comment in the other thread, "it's smoother, but not 1200 worth smoother".

HighlandPete
I know, it's a difficult call. Maybe I should keep the current rims and just replace the tyres. But the OEM 17'' rims aren't great looking by any means.
Dom is offline   Ireland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
gedward
New Member
 
Drives: BMW F10
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Egypt

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to barge in on the thread but i just joined the forum and I do not yet have the priviledge to create a new thread.
Does anyone know why BMW does not include the 245/50 R17 tyre size as an option for the F10?
I have a 528 with 18" rims and 245/45 tyres. I wish to change down to 17" due to suffering a lot of tyre damage caused by bad road conditions were i live.
The 17" rims would allow a higher profile tyre and hence better cushioning effect.
BMW lists the 225/55 R17 as the only option.
I do not want to loose the traction quality of the 245s but nobody at the local BMW dealership can inform me why the 245/50 R17 is not listed.
gedward is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST