2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions DIY: Cabin Filter Replacement

11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Aaron@Autosource

Drives: '12 Space Grey 535i M-Sport

Thumbs up DIY: Cabin Filter Replacement

Here is a DIY to replace or check your cabin filters. These are the filters for your cabin ventilation, not your air intake filter in the engine bay!

You'll need:
1.) Trox bit set
2.) Replacement filters(if needed)
3.) Low profile(short) screw driver

It took me about 30 minutes total, taking the under dash panels took a bit longer as it was my first time doing it, but reinstalling was a breeze. Here goes!

You're going to look under the dash/footwell area of the passenger side. Pretty cool because I actually never new there was another a/c power plug there. Nice!

You'll see a total of 4 screws holding the entire panel, point upwards. There are 2 bigger ones, and 2 smaller ones. Undo those 4, and there is one more screw which is the one on the side of the footwell area, and it screws in towards the driver side.

With a little work and being careful with the panels, you should be able to slide that whole underpanel out safely, but watch out for the 2 wires that are still attached. One of the is the power wire for the A/C port, and one is for the airbag. You A/C power wire slides off easily, but the airbag wire I left connected. It has enough slack for you to rest the entire panel on the floor of the passenger side, and access the cabin filter compartment.

Now, you will see a grey hose going into the cabin filter compartment, simply slide it off.

Holding the lid for the cabin filter compartment is 4 silver screws pointing/screwing upwards. Undo those 4, and you are basically good to go. Here are some shots of the 4 screws and a picture of the compartment cover off:
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/32622006.png/]

At this point you can check or replace your 2 cabin filters, and put the dash panels back together!

***NOTE: When you reinstall the bottom panel as one whole assembly, make sure that the 2 plastic tabs on the back of the panel line up with the slots under the footwell area, or else the panel wont go back in place properly!

Last edited by Aaron@Autosource; 11-09-2012 at 08:26 PM.
      11-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
ryyster

Drives: a BMW

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [3.50]
Great post! Thanks for the info & pictures!
      01-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
M535
PinOyBIMER

Drives: 535

soo useful.. thanks so much!
M535 is offline   Pitcairn Islands
      02-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
beloit
Registered

Drives: f10 530d Xdrive

I am not sure that filters was installed correct. Arrows show air direction but it seems strange as both filters installed in one direction. Guys, who will change filters, please pay attention before removing them and make a picture and post here. I think direction of arrows have to be inside. Sorry for English.
      02-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloit View Post
I am not sure that filters was installed correct. Arrows show air direction but it seems strange as both filters installed in one direction. Guys, who will change filters, please pay attention before removing them and make a picture and post here. I think direction of arrows have to be inside. Sorry for English.
^I noticed this too. But I am not certain which way they were before I took them out, but one was facing in the opposite direction from both facing towards each other.
When I examined the dirt, one had it on the wrong side, but forgot which was it was installed in the car.
I put it in facing toward each other as you suggested - will know next time I replace in 1yr haha..
      02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
LACSTER
Major General

Drives: white bmw

So I'm assuming this is for the AC system correct? I've notice when I turn my AC on there's a funky smell for the first minute or so. If this will resolve the issue I'll do it now!
      02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
L7AS
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '12 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
So I'm assuming this is for the AC system correct? I've notice when I turn my AC on there's a funky smell for the first minute or so. If this will resolve the issue I'll do it now!
I had your problem too Kev! I went to the dealer, and my SA helped me with it.
He said what he did was: turn the AC to the hottest temperature for 10 minutes, turn it off, switch the car off, take out the cabin air filter, clean it (replace if necessary), spray lysol (he used the white bottle one on my car) to the AC system (like the piping or something), and let the AC on for about 20-30 mins in a cool temperature.

I don't have any smell on my AC now.
L7AS is offline   United_States
      05-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
cityyu
Registered

Drives: BMW 118i

Hi, does this work the same with F20 118i? I can't find any guides here for f20, i am trying to find the cabin filters on my car...^^
      07-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
suj999

Drives: F10 520d SE

Guys any one have a picture of which way the cabin filters are meant to be fitted?

I'm still confused which way the arrow should face? Are they meant to pint towards each other?

Thanks

Last edited by suj999; 07-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
suj999 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suj999 View Post
Guys any one have a picture of which way the cabin filters are meant to be fitted?

I'm still confused which way the arrow should face? Are they meant to pint towards each other?

Thanks
You're in luck, I just replaced mine and checked this time - the air flows from back to front (wrt car), both filters in SAME direction.
      07-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #11
suj999

Drives: F10 520d SE

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll get mine changed today so both air filters are pointing towards the engine. What's WRT?

Is that a right hand drive car too? Don't think that will make a difference.
suj999 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #12
Dodge DeBoulet
BMW Virgin

Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Garage List
2014 535ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suj999 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll get mine changed today so both air filters are pointing towards the engine. What's WRT?

Is that a right hand drive car too? Don't think that will make a difference.
WRT = "With Regard To"
Dodge DeBoulet is offline   United_States