2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes KW coil overs
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

KW coil overs

My wife already ordered an Eibach set up for her daily driver 535i. However, now I'm debating if a KW set will be more worth it.

What's so much better about the KW3 set up versus the KW1? I know the KW3 is adjustable but I'm not sure if my wife will be one to always want to adjust her suspension other than a one time lowering. It's an over $1,000 difference from the KW1 to the KW3 so I'm trying to decide on which.

Opinions?
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

?
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
InlineFour
New Member
 
Drives: Cashmere Silver 535i Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

No particular experience with the KWs, but if your wife is going for a lowered look/more street performance, then the 1s should be all you need. I don't see any reason to waste good money on a product she'll never get the benefit of using, and which might cause more headaches as far as setup/adjustment than you're looking for.

Cudos to having a wife that wants her car lowered, btw. That's awesome.
InlineFour is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineFour
No particular experience with the KWs, but if your wife is going for a lowered look/more street performance, then the 1s should be all you need. I don't see any reason to waste good money on a product she'll never get the benefit of using, and which might cause more headaches as far as setup/adjustment than you're looking for.

Cudos to having a wife that wants her car lowered, btw. That's awesome.
Yeah, very valid points man. That's kinda what I was thinking too. Plus it's not like I plan on taking her 535i to the track...maybe my X5M! Lol

And thanks for the cudos; my wife is blushing now! Haha
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
KRUZN335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 535
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,753
iTrader: (10)

you should be fine with V1's... I went with V2's and havent touched my dampening at all. Ive been using the out of the box settings since day 1 and love it!
KRUZN335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335
you should be fine with V1's... I went with V2's and havent touched my dampening at all. Ive been using the out of the box settings since day 1 and love it!
Right on dude, that's a relief to hear...thanks!
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Lie
Private
 
Drives: F10 BMW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle-Jakarta

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
My wife already ordered an Eibach set up for her daily driver 535i. However, now I'm debating if a KW set will be more worth it.

What's so much better about the KW3 set up versus the KW1? I know the KW3 is adjustable but I'm not sure if my wife will be one to always want to adjust her suspension other than a one time lowering. It's an over $1,000 difference from the KW1 to the KW3 so I'm trying to decide on which.

Opinions?
You cant go wrong with KW. If you use the v1 then you cant set the dampening, so if you dont like the ride you cant do anything about it as it is already preset. V2 and V3 doesnt really much differ both can set the dampening (v3 can set the compression). I've tried v2 and v3 - cant tell the difference. I'll say go with v2.
Lie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
SirNicholas
Private First Class
 
SirNicholas's Avatar
 
Drives: f10 535i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 166
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
You cant go wrong with KW. If you use the v1 then you cant set the dampening, so if you dont like the ride you cant do anything about it as it is already preset. V2 and V3 doesnt really much differ both can set the dampening (v3 can set the compression). I've tried v2 and v3 - cant tell the difference. I'll say go with v2.
Agreed. If I were you I'd either go with V1's (if you don't care about the dampening) or V2's (the one's I got). I don't see the point of getting V3's unless you'll be tracking your car.
__________________
SirNicholas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNicholas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie View Post
You cant go wrong with KW. If you use the v1 then you cant set the dampening, so if you dont like the ride you cant do anything about it as it is already preset. V2 and V3 doesnt really much differ both can set the dampening (v3 can set the compression). I've tried v2 and v3 - cant tell the difference. I'll say go with v2.
Agreed. If I were you I'd either go with V1's (if you don't care about the dampening) or V2's (the one's I got). I don't see the point of getting V3's unless you'll be tracking your car.
So with the non adjustable dampening of the V1s, would the suspension feel more rough or close to stock? Don't wanna piss off old wifey like I did with the Magnaflow experiment! Lol
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 26,029
iTrader: (0)

The V3 will have a wider range of adjustments than V2, more comfort or more sport.
Attached Images
 
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Lie
Private
 
Drives: F10 BMW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle-Jakarta

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
So with the non adjustable dampening of the V1s, would the suspension feel more rough or close to stock? Don't wanna piss off old wifey like I did with the Magnaflow experiment! Lol
Its rougher than stock of course. Especially after you changed the wheels
Lie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #12
Die Wolfe
First Lieutenant
 
Die Wolfe's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern California

Posts: 379
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
So with the non adjustable dampening of the V1s, would the suspension feel more rough or close to stock? Don't wanna piss off old wifey like I did with the Magnaflow experiment! Lol
Its rougher than stock of course. Especially after you changed the wheels
She's running on powder coated stockers...
Die Wolfe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
SirNicholas
Private First Class
 
SirNicholas's Avatar
 
Drives: f10 535i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 166
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
So with the non adjustable dampening of the V1s, would the suspension feel more rough or close to stock? Don't wanna piss off old wifey like I did with the Magnaflow experiment! Lol
I would say it is definitely rougher. I haven't tried adjusting it yet. At least not until I get new wheels
__________________
SirNicholas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
F10 HRE
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black F10 M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Diego, CA.

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

So, how come I keep hearing that V2's or V3's ride just like stock or better?? I'm asking because I'm about to pull the trigger on these KW's. BTW... I'm looking for stock-like ride quality.
F10 HRE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Bobby_Drake
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 '13 528 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Anyone have any experience with Street comfort?
Bobby_Drake is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
leewoods18
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 550 M sport
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 189
iTrader: (0)

I have the V2's---I think it rides much better than stock---not rough at all, not bouncy, very smooth. My wife loves the car and has never mentioned any complaints with the suspension.

I have used out of the box setting, so I think you should be fine with the V1s.

I had H&Rs on my e92M3 and Eibachs on my prior G35---the KWs are in a different league in performance and comfort IMO.

I'll echo congrats on having a cool wife
__________________
2012 550i M Sport Dark Graphite Metallic II Everest Gray Antracite wood 6MT
leewoods18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST