2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550 LCI vs S6
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
AndreyATC
The Rocket
 
AndreyATC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near NYC

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I think S6 sits right between M5 and 550i either it's performance or price
__________________

2012 X6M AW/Silverstone II Full Leather/Driver Assistance/HUD/Active ventilated seat/Rear Climate/Cold Weather/Premium Sound/BMW Apps/Soft Close/Side-top-rear Cams/Comfort Seats/3 Seats/Keyless
AndreyATC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #46
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
If you look at their respective prices, S6 and 550i compare very well against each other..
I was under the impression that the S6 was about 10% more than a 550xi.

I'm also under the impression that Audi doesn't discount like BMW.
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #47
thill0722
New Member
 
Drives: 535i 2011 my
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

S6 is a beauty
thill0722 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #48
Ti335
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
I was under the impression that the S6 was about 10% more than a 550xi.
Certainly not when comparatively equipped. Take a 550i Xdrive, add M-sport and Dynamic Handling package and you're within $500 of S6's MSRP.
Ti335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #49
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
Certainly not when comparatively equipped. Take a 550i Xdrive, add M-sport and Dynamic Handling package and you're within $500 of S6's MSRP.
550xi is 65. Audi S6 is 72.

Those are the base prices. When you factor in that BMW likes to discount and Audi hates discounting, there's a pretty big price difference between the 2 cars.

It's either apples to apples or not. If your argument is that you need to add a bunch of stuff to the 550 to make it equal to the base S6 then maybe the cars aren't comparable?
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #50
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
550xi is 65. Audi S6 is 72.
I would say thats pretty comparable. The next step up would be the M5 and the RS7, since the RS6 is not available yet. The M5 and the RS7 are in the $100,000 range.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-14-2013 at 02:37 PM.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #51
AndreyATC
The Rocket
 
AndreyATC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near NYC

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
The sticker on my S6 was 91K
It's almost fully loaded
I still say S6 is between 550i and M5
I just dont feel that 550i offers the same performance and tech as S6
S6 has air suspension in all 4 corners. I can raise clearance of the car by 2-3 inches when going trough deep snow, etc.
All it takes is one click to get to the height of small SUV
S6 has dual-clutch tranny, which i found to be a lot quicker than AT, especially on sudden downshifts when situation calls for it
S6 has vectoring rear diff and good quattro system
It's more nimble/agile than 550i
Feels a lot more lighter/smaller on its feet
__________________

2012 X6M AW/Silverstone II Full Leather/Driver Assistance/HUD/Active ventilated seat/Rear Climate/Cold Weather/Premium Sound/BMW Apps/Soft Close/Side-top-rear Cams/Comfort Seats/3 Seats/Keyless
AndreyATC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #52
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (0)

I just loaded up a 550xi on Edmunds, it came out to $98,000
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #53
Ti335
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
550xi is 65. Audi S6 is 72.

Those are the base prices. When you factor in that BMW likes to discount and Audi hates discounting, there's a pretty big price difference between the 2 cars.
Yeah, I know those are the base prices. I was talking about comparably equipped cars. Most people will want M-sport and Dynamic Handling on their 550i. S6 already comes with Audi's version on M-sport and Dynamic Handling as standard equipment.

As for discounting, you can get 5% off MSRP on a typical Audi. You can do a little better with BMW but it's not going to be a huge difference. Leasing is a totally different matter, however. BMW's lease rates tend to be much more attractive.
Ti335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #54
Ti335
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
The sticker on my S6 was 91K
It's almost fully loaded
I still say S6 is between 550i and M5
I just dont feel that 550i offers the same performance and tech as S6
S6 has air suspension in all 4 corners. I can raise clearance of the car by 2-3 inches when going trough deep snow, etc.
All it takes is one click to get to the height of small SUV
S6 has dual-clutch tranny, which i found to be a lot quicker than AT, especially on sudden downshifts when situation calls for it
S6 has vectoring rear diff and good quattro system
It's more nimble/agile than 550i
Feels a lot more lighter/smaller on its feet
The S6 is definitely a better value. It costs the same as the 550i xdrive with M-Sport and Dynamic Handling but you get a lot more car for the money. Things like torque vectoring, a torsen-based mechanical AWD system, adjustable air suspension and dual clutch transmission are not even optional on the 550i, yet come standard on the S6.
Ti335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #55
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
As for discounting, you can get 5% off MSRP on a typical Audi.
You will not get 5% off the S6 due to short supply. Usually the S models sells at around MSRP with the exception of the S4 and S5.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #56
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
Yeah, I know those are the base prices. I was talking about comparably equipped cars. Most people will want M-sport and Dynamic Handling on their 550i. S6 already comes with Audi's version on M-sport and Dynamic Handling as standard equipment.

As for discounting, you can get 5% off MSRP on a typical Audi. You can do a little better with BMW but it's not going to be a huge difference. Leasing is a totally different matter, however. BMW's lease rates tend to be much more attractive.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Audi so I don't really care. :-)
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #57
remo
New Member
 
Drives: 550ix
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Posting on BMW forum that Audi is better and non stop trying to prove is called..... Well, some people explain it nicely.

Definition of trolling:
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue.
The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

Last edited by remo; 02-14-2013 at 10:45 PM.
remo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #58
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo View Post
Posting on BMW forum that Audi is better and non stop trying to prove is called..... Well, some people explain it nicely.

Definition of trolling:
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue.
The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
I disagree, there is nothing wrong with comparing brands. BMW does make some nice cars, but it is by no means the only game in town. If anyone in this forum thinks that BMW has no competition, they are fooling themself. The last time I check, this is a automotive forum, not a BMW fan club. Just imagine how boring this forum would be if everyone in here is in a group hug telling each other how great BMW is.

Last edited by The X Men; 02-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #59
AndreyATC
The Rocket
 
AndreyATC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Near NYC

Posts: 1,516
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by remo View Post
Posting on BMW forum that Audi is better and non stop trying to prove is called..... Well, some people explain it nicely.

Definition of trolling:
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue.
The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesn't involve decieving someone isn't trolling at all; it's just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.

Some people should just get a life
Nothing better to do on Feb 14th night than posting definition of trolling?
__________________

2012 X6M AW/Silverstone II Full Leather/Driver Assistance/HUD/Active ventilated seat/Rear Climate/Cold Weather/Premium Sound/BMW Apps/Soft Close/Side-top-rear Cams/Comfort Seats/3 Seats/Keyless
AndreyATC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
remo
New Member
 
Drives: 550ix
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Some people should just get a life
Nothing better to do on Feb 14th night than posting definition of trolling?
No reason to be angry. Truth hurts......
remo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #61
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
 
TheGr8Swami's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 177
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
I just loaded up a 550xi on Edmunds, it came out to $98,000
Edmonds.com price quote utility tends to run a little on the high side. Try visiting the auto manufacturer's website and use their pricing tools. Let's be real, how many of us really have TV's in the headrests on a mid-sized Sports sedan? BMW 7 series or A8, or one of the SUV's with kids hopping in the back maybe... :-)
__________________
2012 550xi MSport - everything but TV's in the head rests!
TheGr8Swami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #62
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,936
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
Edmonds.com is always wrong, configure both cars on their websites!
Just did and came up with the same numbers.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #63
dnjgetz
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 335 xi with prem/sp/cwp
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: spokane wa

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

Interesting topic. I recently cross shopped the two cars, and went with the 550ix. An S6 optioned equivalently stickered for slightly over 87 grand. My 550ix was 76 grand but I was able to negotiate close to 12 grand off sticker (end of year remaining 2012 model). I added the Dinan stage 2 software for about 3 grand and have never looked back. On my S6 test drive (which was exceedingly difficult to wrangle) I was able to dig in a bit, obviously no LC was used, and to my butt dyno the Dinan stage 2 and S6 feel very similar to me (perhaps a tad more hesitation in certain rpm ranges from the BMW). I would wager at the track the 1/4 mi times would be very similar, and on the street almost identical. I have a feeling the launch control would be used (at least by me, very seldom). I simply couldn't justify spending 10k more for the audi. If there was no wiggle room on the BMW, then I would have gotten the Audi. Both cars are wonderful, but unfortunately fall short of my 997.1 911 Turbo I sold. On the upside they both can fit my family of five.
__________________
2012 Dinan stage 2 BMW 550ix, 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 997 911 C2S, 07 BMW Z4M Coupe, 07 BMW 335xi
dnjgetz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #64
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Whitetintedwindows
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnjgetz View Post
Interesting topic. I recently cross shopped the two cars, and went with the 550ix. An S6 optioned equivalently stickered for slightly over 87 grand. My 550ix was 76 grand but I was able to negotiate close to 12 grand off sticker (end of year remaining 2012 model). I added the Dinan stage 2 software for about 3 grand and have never looked back. On my S6 test drive (which was exceedingly difficult to wrangle) I was able to dig in a bit, obviously no LC was used, and to my butt dyno the Dinan stage 2 and S6 feel very similar to me (perhaps a tad more hesitation in certain rpm ranges from the BMW). I would wager at the track the 1/4 mi times would be very similar, and on the street almost identical. I have a feeling the launch control would be used (at least by me, very seldom). I simply couldn't justify spending 10k more for the audi. If there was no wiggle room on the BMW, then I would have gotten the Audi. Both cars are wonderful, but unfortunately fall short of my 997.1 911 Turbo I sold. On the upside they both can fit my family of five.
Nice review but don't forget that the S6 will also be able to be tuned/chipped also then it will still be faster than the 550ix. Also the S6 has the sport diff which allows it to power through a turn rather than brake the inside wheels to accomplish the same as the S6.
The 550xi is a very very nice car but I would have to say that the S6 is positioned between the 550xi and the M5 more than a competitor if you look at the full performance of the vehicles.
ToyotaBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
HDEddie1
Private First Class
 
HDEddie1's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F10 550i, '08 E60 528i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

AMG territory?

At the price levels this thread is pointing at, I'm surprised that no one has invited the MB E63 AMG to the party. Plus, at least in So Cal, the MB will deal on their cars unlike Audi, but maybe to the extent of BMW.

For me, the sophistication of Audi's fine suspension (with sport differential) may be lost on the relative straight/flat roads we have in So Cal commutes.
HDEddie1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #66
mjr24
Private
 
Drives: M6, SL55, SL500, 750Li X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Audis have gotten nicer....but unless it's an R8...never a car I'd ever spend $80-$100k on. When you are in the ballpark of paying that much for a car....some of it is stature....and a Audi A6/A7/A8 just doesn't hold the same weight as a top of the line Benz, BMW, or Porsche.
mjr24 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST