2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Dealer Performance Upgrade Kit
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
3
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 330d Luxury Touring
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LONDON/DEAL

iTrader: (0)

Dealer Performance Upgrade Kit

Has anyone any experience/knowledge of performance upgrade kits supplied by BMW dealers? Advertised from about 900 plus fitting for approx 10% increase in power/torque which if true may be a good compromise rather than P/Ex up to 525/530D with all the hassle involved.
Particularly keen to find out if performance/economy is noticeably different and impact on insurance quotes(if disclosed!)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
unclesbeemer
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

Cool

had mine done last summer _ most improvement is above 2500rpm but revs like a petrol to the redline now, very pleased with it, seems that the power is mid and up, so not a comparison with twin turbo 525s i am guessing, economy is the same, no difference noted - but fun and reminds me of the old days of soft suspension but powerful granadas and carltons........ah those were the days, now wheres my pipe.......
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
73henny
Private
0
Rep
76
Posts

 
Drives: 520d M Sport - gone
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesbeemer View Post
had mine done last summer _ most improvement is above 2500rpm but revs like a petrol to the redline now, very pleased with it, seems that the power is mid and up, so not a comparison with twin turbo 525s i am guessing, economy is the same, no difference noted - but fun and reminds me of the old days of soft suspension but powerful granadas and carltons........ah those were the days, now wheres my pipe.......
Insurance go up?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
unclesbeemer
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

direct line were a bit silly - but shopped around and as it was under the 10% power increase a few companies were okay - i would say probably 40-50 quid a year?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
1
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 520D SE
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesbeemer View Post
had mine done last summer _ most improvement is above 2500rpm but revs like a petrol to the redline now, very pleased with it, seems that the power is mid and up, so not a comparison with twin turbo 525s i am guessing, economy is the same, no difference noted - but fun and reminds me of the old days of soft suspension but powerful granadas and carltons........ah those were the days, now wheres my pipe.......

Can I ask how much the dealer charged for the upgrade? I was quoted about 1250 ish fitted I think when I checked a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
unclesbeemer
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

it was just over 1k without digging out receipt - i think that where the dealer hasnt done one before they may be willing to negotiate it down - as it happened with mine,the first attempt to fit it failed - and required a link to the mothership in germany to get the software to work, but i think that was down to it being so new and dealer not having done one on an f10
so worth checking out a few - as i recall cotswold bmw gave a competitive quote - if its worth a day out!

hope that helpshttp://f10.5post.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
1
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F10 520D SE
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesbeemer View Post
it was just over 1k without digging out receipt - i think that where the dealer hasnt done one before they may be willing to negotiate it down - as it happened with mine,the first attempt to fit it failed - and required a link to the mothership in germany to get the software to work, but i think that was down to it being so new and dealer not having done one on an f10
so worth checking out a few - as i recall cotswold bmw gave a competitive quote - if its worth a day out!

hope that helpshttp://f10.5post.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the info. Thats great. I just need to convince the finance manager (wife) that we need to get this done
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #8
unclesbeemer
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

i never told mine, just implied it was an expensive service.........
hiding the old intercooler (inc dead wasps) and control box was a little more tricky however........(this was left in boot in large cardboard box)
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
martin mustang
First Lieutenant
Ireland
7
Rep
345
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 520, X3 & 88 635csi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james d View Post
Has anyone any experience/knowledge of performance upgrade kits supplied by BMW dealers? Advertised from about 900 plus fitting for approx 10% increase in power/torque which if true may be a good compromise rather than P/Ex up to 525/530D with all the hassle involved.
Particularly keen to find out if performance/economy is noticeably different and impact on insurance quotes(if disclosed!)
Wondering did you go ahead with the upgrade, if so was it worth the expense? thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
eggy41
New Member
eggy41's Avatar
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: VW UP! F11 520d M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex, England

iTrader: (0)

I'm mulling this one over as well, if I can get it for 1k all in I'll think I'll go for it
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
unclesbeemer
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Anglia

iTrader: (0)

i have now just spent a few days driving a 520d ed - so i can now say that my 520d with the m performance is significantly more responsive, the slow rev climb on the standard is noticeable compared to the 'improved' one zipping up to 4-5k without any delay - more noticeable acceleration out of tight bends, mines a manual and it does promote stick wiggling to keep it on song (no real oomph until after about 2k-) but thats part of the fun isnt it?
be interested to see how it went with the auto

mpg wise -the 520ed was showing 55mpg at end of few days - mine regularly shows 53mpg - i appreciate the on board may not be that accurate but hopefully gives an idea ...............
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
S90MJG
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: F10 2013 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

This sounds more and more like I'm going to have to start saving for an early christmas present ! - new F10 520d m-sport inbound, changing from a Scirocco - I'm probably going to miss the power...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
SCZ4
Private First Class
2
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: F11 525d M Sport & Z4M
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Anyone know when the 530d Power kit will be available in the UK? They've had it for quite a while in the US
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST