2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Avant Garde vs OEM vs Morr
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Avant Garde vs OEM vs Morr

My exact comparison is the Morr VS8.2 vs the AG 310 vs the BMW 356 wheels.

I love the Morr VS8.2; however, it is more than I want to spend on wheels. That is the perfect look; however, not the perfect price. I would not mind getting the Avant Garde 310s if they are the same quality and strength of OEM wheels. The OEM wheels I have my eyes on are the 356 wheels.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I have seen the thread of Avant Garde's pitting and having some quality issues. I know that any wheel can be damaged, so I don't know how much weight to give those threads.

Last edited by BigDeep1; 10-28-2013 at 08:54 PM.
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
SDf10
Lieutenant
 
SDf10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 535 m sport DGM II
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San diego

Posts: 502
iTrader: (2)

Why don't you but the Morr vs8s that are for sale in the forum? They are priced really good and the quality of those wheels are leaps and bounds above the AG's and OEM (I had them). Here is the link:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898285

I got some avant gardes for my wife's car, and they are good wheels, but you can't compare to a forged wheel in look and quality. That being said, If price is the deciding factor I would go with the avant gardes as they ofer a more "custom" look than OEM. good luck with your search.
__________________
SDf10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Thanks buddy. I really want a machine or bright silver face. I know Morr said they could refinish those wheels. I have a silver car.
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Nitrous Garage
Colonel
 
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
My exact comparison is the Morr VS8.2 vs the AG 310 vs the BMW 356 wheels.

I love the Morr VS8.2; however, it is more than I want to spend on wheels. That is the perfect look; however, not the perfect price. I would not mind getting the Avant Garde 310s if they are the same quality and strength of OEM wheels. The OEM wheels I have my eyes on are the 356 wheels.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I have seen the thread of Avant Garde's pitting and having some quality issues. I know that any wheel can be damaged, so I don't know how much weight to give those threads.
I do not have too much experience with Morr wheels but I know they are a great wheel and fully forged. Can't go wrong with that However with forged they come with a higher price tag. I sell AG M310 wheels pretty often with many happy customers. They are built using the same process as your BMW OEM wheels so they are just as strong.

If you would like I can work you up a quote for your F10
__________________
Calvin @ Nitrous Garage
WHEELS | SERVICES | BLOG | FACEBOOK

email: calvin@nitrousgarage.com | phone: (909) 784-1899 | web: www.nitrousgarage.com
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Nitrous Garage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
I do not have too much experience with Morr wheels but I know they are a great wheel and fully forged. Can't go wrong with that However with forged they come with a higher price tag. I sell AG M310 wheels pretty often with many happy customers. They are built using the same process as your BMW OEM wheels so they are just as strong.

If you would like I can work you up a quote for your F10
Thanks for the info. Are you able to give me a quote for a set of 20" M310s. Can you give me the weights as well.

Do you sell with tires as a package? I would be interested in the Michelin A/S 3.

Thanks!

Btw, what are the certifications for the wheels? Any warranty against defects with the wheel?
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,180
iTrader: (64)

What's your price point that you're looking to spend?
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
What's your price point that you're looking to spend?
Hey buddy! Around $2000-2500 for tires and wheels.
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Nitrous Garage
Colonel
 
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks for the info. Are you able to give me a quote for a set of 20" M310s. Can you give me the weights as well.

Do you sell with tires as a package? I would be interested in the Michelin A/S 3.

Thanks!

Btw, what are the certifications for the wheels? Any warranty against defects with the wheel?
Sure can! Let me work up some pricing and PM you a quote.
__________________
Calvin @ Nitrous Garage
WHEELS | SERVICES | BLOG | FACEBOOK

email: calvin@nitrousgarage.com | phone: (909) 784-1899 | web: www.nitrousgarage.com
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Nitrous Garage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru
 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC

Posts: 4,244
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks buddy. I really want a machine or bright silver face. I know Morr said they could refinish those wheels. I have a silver car.
You'd be surprised how well that color goes with Silver. But yes, we can refinish them if requested. Would take a couple of weeks though.
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Rich@GTBPerformance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
You'd be surprised how well that color goes with Silver. But yes, we can refinish them if requested. Would take a couple of weeks though.
Thanks. The AG are available in machine silver from the factory, right?

Thanks for the quote Nitrous
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Alan l.
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,434
iTrader: (8)

Not all cast wheels are made the same way. You have low pressure cast which is stronger than gravity cast wheels. Even then wheel strengths varies from company to company. OEM cast wheels tend to be much stronger than aftermarket cast wheels from my experience. This is a reason why they also weigh a ton.

When it comes to wheels you really do get what you pay for up to a certain point.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru
 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC

Posts: 4,244
iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Not all cast wheels are made the same way. You have low pressure cast which is stronger than gravity cast wheels. Even then wheel strengths varies from company to company. OEM cast wheels tend to be much stronger than aftermarket cast wheels from my experience. This is a reason why they also weigh a ton.

When it comes to wheels you really do get what you pay for up to a certain point.

Alan
Couldn't agree more Alan!
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Rich@GTBPerformance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Cal@MORR
 
Cal@MORR's Avatar
 
Drives: E39 M5
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

AG wheels are low pressure cast, which tend to be slightly lighter and stronger than a gravity cast wheel (ie: VMR).

You won't be disappointed with the VS8.2. Unfortunately we've discontinued this particular model right now so you'll have to venture into the classifieds for a used set.
Cal@MORR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Nitrous Garage
Colonel
 
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks. The AG are available in machine silver from the factory, right?

Thanks for the quote Nitrous
No Problem

They are not. The 20" just come in Hyper Silver and Matte Black
__________________
Calvin @ Nitrous Garage
WHEELS | SERVICES | BLOG | FACEBOOK

email: calvin@nitrousgarage.com | phone: (909) 784-1899 | web: www.nitrousgarage.com
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Nitrous Garage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
BigDeep1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i Sport - P1, P2
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Irving, TX - Valley Ranch

Posts: 363
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Garage View Post
No Problem

They are not. The 20" just come in Hyper Silver and Matte Black
Thanks. I believe you. It's weird that the AG website has a machine silver listed. Maybe it's discontinued.
BigDeep1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Nitrous Garage
Colonel
 
Nitrous Garage's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pomona, California

Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
Thanks. I believe you. It's weird that the AG website has a machine silver listed. Maybe it's discontinued.
I take that back...I saw it on their site too. I will have to check with AG and see what sizes that finish is available in.
__________________
Calvin @ Nitrous Garage
WHEELS | SERVICES | BLOG | FACEBOOK

email: calvin@nitrousgarage.com | phone: (909) 784-1899 | web: www.nitrousgarage.com
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm
Nitrous Garage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST