2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 High Beam Assist - Does not appear to be working

05-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 530 D M-Sport

F10 High Beam Assist - Does not appear to be working

Hi all,

I couldnt see if my problem has been answered before on this forum sorry if it has . I have High beam Assist factory fitted and it has worked flawlessly for the last 2.5 years along with the anti dazzle feature which is brilliant. (I also have adaptive LED headlights) My car is UK spec if that makes any differences

Last night when I drove home in the dark (no street lights or cars coming in the oposite direction or in front) for the first time in a few months I noticed that the High beam assist (HBA) wasnt working.

This is what I did
1) Lights Set to Automatic (switch in the 11 oclock position)
2) High beam assist selected on the indicatior stalk and "green" high beam indication with the green A on the dashboard.

This what I noticed
1) No error in the I drive
2) High beam and low beam could be selected by moving the indicator stalk
3) The lights swung in the direction of steering and beam length changed with speed as before.
4) The side ilumination worked when driving slowly.
5) Auto wipers work fine
6) Auto(on/off) lights work fine
7) screen looked clear/clean where the camera is located under the mirror.

What has happened since I last noticed HBA was working
1) I had the windowscreen replaced about a month ago but the camera is attached to the mirror assembly and all the other mirror located finctions work (lights/wipers etc) so didnt think this could be the issue - does the function need to be re-set in some way?
2) I have done some coding using the IOS Bimmercode app, so coded speedo in the Instrument panel, M-sport startup logo etc, could this have upset the HBA?

I have got the more sophiticated coding on the PC but wanted to avoid using this if possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

vern321
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since you had a windshield replacement recently, remove the HBA camera and see if it is plugged in properly.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #3
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
Hi all,

I couldnt see if my problem has been answered before on this forum sorry if it has . I have High beam Assist factory fitted and it has worked flawlessly for the last 2.5 years along with the anti dazzle feature which is brilliant. (I also have adaptive LED headlights) My car is UK spec if that makes any differences

Last night when I drove home in the dark (no street lights or cars coming in the oposite direction or in front) for the first time in a few months I noticed that the High beam assist (HBA) wasnt working.

This is what I did
1) Lights Set to Automatic (switch in the 11 oclock position)
2) High beam assist selected on the indicatior stalk and "green" high beam indication with the green A on the dashboard.

This what I noticed
1) No error in the I drive
2) High beam and low beam could be selected by moving the indicator stalk
3) The lights swung in the direction of steering and beam length changed with speed as before.
4) The side ilumination worked when driving slowly.
5) Auto wipers work fine
6) Auto(on/off) lights work fine
7) screen looked clear/clean where the camera is located under the mirror.

What has happened since I last noticed HBA was working
1) I had the windowscreen replaced about a month ago but the camera is attached to the mirror assembly and all the other mirror located finctions work (lights/wipers etc) so didnt think this could be the issue - does the function need to be re-set in some way?
2) I have done some coding using the IOS Bimmercode app, so coded speedo in the Instrument panel, M-sport startup logo etc, could this have upset the HBA?

I have got the more sophiticated coding on the PC but wanted to avoid using this if possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

vern321
I have enabled High beam Assist that didn't came with my car through coding (E-sys), so I would think that it is possible that Bimmercoded inadvertently coded High beam Assist out on your car. See if Bimmercode has an option to code High beam Assist and try to code it back in.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #4
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Hoa & dzz,

I have not checked the wiring itself, but did run a full ECU check using ISTA+ all ECU's were Green (no error codes) including the FLA ECU

I got the attached result when "reading" the HBA(FLA) ECU I think the line that makes me think calibration is required is:

Function: Automatic targeting (AUTOALM)

I guess it means when the screen was replaced the technician must have turned on the ignition or the like when the mirror assembly was detached from the screen (or its in a fractionally different position) . I have read somewhere that 1 in about 200 screen replacements might need calibration for the HBA(FLA) system. The screen has been replaced once before and was fine. I don't have a KAFAS 2 camera as I don't have the enhanced Safety features like SLI and lane departure etc.

In terms of Bimmercode, there is an option in there to make HBA "always on" when the Autolights are selected (I think this is coded that way in Germany) but as I have the switch on the indicator stalk I like switching it on when I hit an area where FLA can be used so like the control, but may try thiis at some point.

I'll do some searching, perhaps it is Auto calibrating and I need to leave the HBA system selected perhaps it will calibrate itself after a while (assuming the right night conditions), but usually I would expect that the ECU would need to be "initialised" or the like to start the calibration process.

Thanks for the responses so far
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took the car for a night drive last night with the HBA system enabled (Green High-beam light with the A in it) as I thought the HBA(FLA) system may "learn". It was completely dark and had cars in front and coming the other way. I drove for about 20 minutes around 50 to 60 mph but still no luck HBA never came on

I have looked all over the internet and in E-Sys/ETSA D and it looks like calibration is NOT required with a FLA camera, but is (or could be) if you have KAFAS camera to support the driver safety aids which I do not have.

I guess I will take a close look at all the CAFD and compare with a baseline I took a year ago to see if any of the entries have changed when I coded a couple of things with Bimmercode, I only coded digital speed in the instrument cluster, M-Sport splash screen start up on the I-drive and Auto start stop defaulted to off (rather than on) I cant see whese would make a difference.

Any other advice greatly fully received!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #6
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
This is a long shot, but is it possible they replaced the windscreen with one designed not designed for your specific sensors? I know when I've had mine replaced there were a variety of different types due to certain cars having different sensors, and I had to be sure they installed the correct one based on my cars options.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:31 PM   #7
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
This is a long shot, but is it possible they replaced the windscreen with one designed not designed for your specific sensors? I know when I've had mine replaced there were a variety of different types due to certain cars having different sensors, and I had to be sure they installed the correct one based on my cars options.
FLA camera is attached to the rear view mirror so windscreen variant would not matter in this case
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks SWFLF10 and Hoa for the responses.

When the screen was replaced they did ask if I had a HUD which I do so assume this is a slight difference in screen as I have read that it has a reflective surface that the HUD image goes through. The HUD works perfectly ok.

I finally got to checking the rear view mirror wiring the shroud around the mirror came off really easily I wonder if it wasn't seated correctly if the camera may have been slightly obscured, I also checked the 2 plugs (One was really small) were nice and tight with the sockets and put the shroud back on, it seemed to fit better, perhaps this will do the trick, I'll wait for the next dark night!

When I get round to it I'll also check the CAFD files to see if any thing changed, but I might do the test drive first.

I have attached 3 pictures, the picture of the FLA camera lens looks like some obscuring but its my I-phone the lens is completely clean with no obscuring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #9
Petro94
Albania
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Retrofit High Beam assist possible?

Is it possible to retrofit this feature? My car doesn't have a camera, so I guess I'd need that as well. Car has Xenon Headlights with curve feature.

I will have the ISTA soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #10
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Petro 94

I think it is possible to retrofit, there are a lot of threads on the subject on this forum and others look for "BMW F10 High beam Assistance retrofit" or something similar I found a lot of threads on the subject for other BMW models like the F30 so not sure if its the same.

You will need at least a mirror housing with the High-beam Assistance(FLA) camera (see my pics) and the FLA ECU plus wiring and coding. Good Luck!

Hopefully I will resolve my problem soon
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update for anyone interested.

I compared all readable ECU CAFD files (using NcdCafdTool, "NCD compare" function) after they were read using E-SYS that I created when BMW recoded the car a couple of years ago to the CAFD files that are in the ECU's today, I compared around 32 CAFD files, about 5 seem to be unreadable.

All the CAFD files that were different using BimmerCode were as expected, so no issues with BimmerCode changing any "unexpected "CAFD value. I didn't think this would be the case and just goes to show what a great tool it is.

What I did find in ISTA+ is the attached service snipit (searching ISTA+ for "High Beam assistance"), so it looks like the FLA camera does not need calibrating/Initialising, I just need to do more driving at night to meet the criteria, this seems consistent with others that have had similar problems where is "goes away" after some driving.

more updates to follow!.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:19 PM   #12
Icemaninlv
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 535iX

Did it ever resolve itself?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 05:45 AM   #13
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemaninlv View Post
Did it ever resolve itself?
No I still have the issue, when I try engage high beam assist I get the following message oo the I-Drive display after 10 or so miles (I borrowed the pic from another thread but the error is the same) when trying to re-engage HBA the error pops up straight away.. It did work very very briefly switching between high and low beam automatically, but no matrix/anti dazzle working the error then came up and it hasn’t worked since.

I did clean the camera lens and inside the windscreen before trying the above but it made no difference.

There is another possibility I need to try, I use "Waze" Navigation on my I-phone mounted in a phone mount in one of the cupholders infront of the gear selector, Waze has a very bright white screen and I am wondering if the windscreen is picking up the reflection into the camera and causing the error, so need to try without Waze (so the car is completely dark) - Not sure if there is a night mode in Waze but I have not tried it.

Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 05:12 AM   #14
vern321
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok so it looks like the all is well now after a couple of night drives in the right condtions HBA working fine, not that I use it much.
Appreciate 0