2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550i Valentine One Install ?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
f10_owner
New Member
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

F10 550i Valentine One Install ?

Hi all - just recently transitioned from an older BMW to a new F10 550i. I have a Valentine One radar detector that I had installed in the old car, wired to the switched power for the sunroof above the overhead lights, and positioned just to the left of the rear view mirror. It worked very reliably in that area.

With the 550, I'm trying to figure out:
a) Where is the best place to put the V1 on the windshield? I've read some posts that indicate there is a coating on a majority of the windshield that limits radar transmission effectiveness.
b) Can I still pull switched power from the sunroof electrical without computer system issues? Is this the best/easiest way to power the unit? If so, how do I get pop out the headliner/overhead light control panel to get to the wiring (without damaging anything, of course)?
Has anyone else installed a V1 or other radar detector in their new F10 and solved these issues?

Appreciate any help or feedback, and pictures are always useful - thanks!
f10_owner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
paulbazo
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 640i M sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10_owner View Post
Hi all - just recently transitioned from an older BMW to a new F10 550i. I have a Valentine One radar detector that I had installed in the old car, wired to the switched power for the sunroof above the overhead lights, and positioned just to the left of the rear view mirror. It worked very reliably in that area.

With the 550, I'm trying to figure out:
a) Where is the best place to put the V1 on the windshield? I've read some posts that indicate there is a coating on a majority of the windshield that limits radar transmission effectiveness.
b) Can I still pull switched power from the sunroof electrical without computer system issues? Is this the best/easiest way to power the unit? If so, how do I get pop out the headliner/overhead light control panel to get to the wiring (without damaging anything, of course)?
Has anyone else installed a V1 or other radar detector in their new F10 and solved these issues?

Appreciate any help or feedback, and pictures are always useful - thanks!
Radar detector? Really? they still sell them?
__________________
2011 F10 550i M sport
paulbazo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Hueydumps
New Member
 
Hueydumps's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DC

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I am waiting for the hotwire kit to come in the mail from Valentine. I always use the sunroof wire to connect, then use the visor clip - I've done this in 4+ cars and it should be pretty straight forward. The overhead panel usually just pops out pretty easily. I used it with the cord running from the cigarette lighter outlet for the 500 mile trip back from performance center and didn't notice any issues with it picking up radar, but I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try it next to another car that def has no issues.

That's the first I've heard of any interference with the windshield hindering performance.
Hueydumps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Lezam
Chillerrrr
 
Lezam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Lezam
Anyone try installing laser jammers yet?
Lezam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
f10_owner
New Member
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueydumps View Post
...That's the first I've heard of any interference with the windshield hindering performance.
I guess I was referring to the coating here (from pg 145 of the Owner's Manual):
Attached Images
 
f10_owner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
ddd269
Private
 
Drives: F10 528iA Silver
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santiago, Chile

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezam View Post
Anyone try installing laser jammers yet?
I have... A Blinder M27

Here's the link

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401729
ddd269 is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Lezam
Chillerrrr
 
Lezam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Lezam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
I have... A Blinder M27

Here's the link

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401729
Looking good
Lezam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
ddd269
Private
 
Drives: F10 528iA Silver
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santiago, Chile

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

I'm planning on installing a V1 on my F10 as well. It should arrive in about 2 weeks. I also ordered a conceal display and remote audio unit as well.

I'm planning on installing the V1 on the rear dash/deck(?... What do you call that?) facing forward as if it would be positioned on the front windshield (in short, facing forward). Hardly anyone would seat in the middle seat so the radar would have a clear view of the front. Of course it would be elevated enough to clear all obstacles in it's sight.

As far as the connection would go, my radar jammer installer tapped the cig lighter in the center console and left me a pig tail for my "future" radar detector install so I'll tap that for my concealed display and daisy chain the remote audio and V1. I got the remote audio because it would be impossible for any audio adjustment while driving.

Be aware that your V1 will not power down right away in most electrical connections you make. Even the cig lighter takes about 2 min to shut off after you lock the doors. I timed this. I'm guessing the sunroof has a similar shut off time after the doors are locked as all current drainage is controlled by the computer and is shut off automatically. Not an expert in this area but I don't see why it would be different.

Good luck with your install.

Last edited by ddd269; 07-12-2010 at 12:42 PM.
ddd269 is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
joberon
New Member
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Radar ignorant question: anyone have any experience installing/using a Passport Qi45 on an F10? To me this product minimizes clutter, but I really have no idea if it’s actually worth the expense.
joberon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
ddd269
Private
 
Drives: F10 528iA Silver
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santiago, Chile

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joberon View Post
Radar ignorant question: anyone have any experience installing/using a Passport Qi45 on an F10? To me this product minimizes clutter, but I really have no idea if it’s actually worth the expense.
The Qi45 has great sensitivity and is comparable with any top radar detectors nowadays.

Your choice of Radar Detector should depend on where you'll be using most of the time. If it's city, then I would go with something like a 9500ix or the 9500ci which uses GPS database to not "chirp" when there are known/learned falses. If you're not the patient kind, you'll probably throw a normal detector out the window within the first week. It's a matter of knowing the limits of the detector.

I chose the Valentine One because it will be used mostly for highway use. It's sensitivity and directional indicators more than makes up for it's "falses" in the city. Keep in mind that you can greatly reduce falses by programing out frequencies that your area does not use.

Going back to the install... It shouldn't be too hard to install the Qi45. The radar receiver should install just fine behind our huge grill and you can channel the cable along the inner fender and through the fire wall where you can find a plug that all the cabling goes through. A fishing tape should work fine. My installers got the radar jammer installed in about 1 hour and I would think it should be the same for the Qi45. The big plus about the Qi45 is that you can add a laser jammer at a later time as a plug and play on the radar receiver.

Good luck!

Here's a good link for more info: http://www.radardetector.net/forums/
ddd269 is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
taylorpetie
Private
 
taylorpetie's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i X-Drive, Dark Graphite II
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
Be aware that your V1 will not power down right away in most electrical connections you make. Even the cig lighter takes about 2 min to shut off after you lock the doors. I timed this. I'm guessing the sunroof has a similar shut off time after the doors are locked as all current drainage is controlled by the computer and is shut off automatically. Not an expert in this area but I don't see why it would be different.

Good luck with your install.
It seems that the 12V input in the center console and the 12V input under the glove compartment does not turn off if you don't lock the door (or at least not within 30 mins with me standing there watching and waiting, until I gave up). As ddd269 stated, the 12V inputs will shut off (after 2 mins) only when the doors are locked. Unfortunately, when I park the F10 in my garage, I forget to lock the car and the Valentine V1 stays on.... Trying to avoid having to 'add a circuit' to the fuse box, but does anyone know why the 12V is active unless the doors are locked? If I have to run Valentine power to the fuse box, does anyone know which fuse is a switched circuit (power remains off when the engine is turned off, and doors not having to be locked)? Fuse 57?
taylorpetie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
marcielago
Private First Class
 
marcielago's Avatar
 
Drives: SG F10 550i MS, CB E39 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Abu Dhabi

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

I don't know if this will work for the newer F10's, but could at least be similar. I found this link in the M3 post section. As mentioned in the link it works for hard-wiring all types of radar detectors, and installed on an E90....

Hope it can be of any use


http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545
marcielago is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
alex_c
Private
 
alex_c's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 f10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

If you have a 550, use fuse 57, if you have a 535 use fuse 48.

The whole setup should not take you more than 10 to 15 minutes, but the joy of not seeing the nasty dangling cable on your dashboard should last for years.
__________________
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Hardwire V1 | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
alex_c is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #14
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
 
LuvMyE92's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorpetie View Post
does anyone know why the 12V is active unless the doors are locked?
I'm sure that this is a convenience feature so that if you are sitting in the car waiting for junior to finish his (or her) ballet lesson, you can charge your phone or listen to your ipod without needing the ignition turned on.

My E92 does this for (I think) 20 minutes. Then when it shuts off the computer makes all kinds of noises and the fan comes on and wakes me (yes, I nap in the car sometimes). I'm hoping that my F10 will be a bit quieter.
__________________
2011 535 Deep Sea Blue/oyster ordered with a proper 6 speed manual transmission but later sold in disgust
2000 M5 Jet Black 6-spd, natch
2008 R1200GS Namabia Orange (also with that six speed manual - see a pattern?)
LuvMyE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
 
LuvMyE92's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cary, NC, USA

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd269 View Post
Your choice of Radar Detector should depend on where you'll be using most of the time.
My last ticket was given to me courtesy of "instant-on" radar and cost me around $250 in lawyer and court costs. My previous ticket was courtesy of "VASCAR" which is, as I understand it, a method of timing you from point a to point b and doing some sophisticated mathematical calculations to determine the speed. He said I was doing 81. I was doing at least 81, so I didn't argue. That also cost me around $250.

Neither time did my detector do me any good, so I have stopped using one and now I try to keep my speed within 10 MPH of the limit or stay with traffic if its really hustling. I'm also trying to set a better example for the kids (one of whom is now driving).

However, detectors have saved my bacon many times in the past, so I may revisit the issue once my car shows up.
__________________
2011 535 Deep Sea Blue/oyster ordered with a proper 6 speed manual transmission but later sold in disgust
2000 M5 Jet Black 6-spd, natch
2008 R1200GS Namabia Orange (also with that six speed manual - see a pattern?)
LuvMyE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
kd6lor
Private First Class
 
Drives: 08 335 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orange County, California

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

Neither time did my detector do me any good, so I have stopped using one and now I try to keep my speed within 10 MPH of the limit or stay with traffic if its really hustling. I'm also trying to set a better example for the kids (one of whom is now driving).

However, detectors have saved my bacon many times in the past, so I may revisit the issue once my car shows up.
In my area, I am seeing a lot more lasers. I removed my detector because of a broken wire, and have decided not to bother replacing it. I find the best defense is knowing where the speed traps are and keeping a good eye out. Been ticket free for a long time now.

Paul
kd6lor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #17
taylorpetie
Private
 
taylorpetie's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i X-Drive, Dark Graphite II
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
If you have a 550, use fuse 57, if you have a 535 use fuse 48.

The whole setup should not take you more than 10 to 15 minutes, but the joy of not seeing the nasty dangling cable on your dashboard should last for years.
Thanks. Fuse 48 worked for me. For some reason, Fuse 57 didn't work (I also have a 550). Anyways, you're right.... not having the visual of the cable dangling from the dash is awesome.
taylorpetie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
ddd269
Private
 
Drives: F10 528iA Silver
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santiago, Chile

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

I did my V1 install in the back of the car a month ago and forgot to show it to you guys. I forgot that I posted on this thread in the past, until I got notified of this thread again.

I installed the V1 on the back dash/deck and wired a concealed display unit on the dashboard and a remote audio unit as well so the V1 is not chirping from the back. This way I can turn on/off and control the volume from the front.

Anyways, I'll go home and take some pictures of the install and post it here.

Sorry guys, I got distracted with a new toy... it's got 2 wheels and goes really really fast (0-60 2.7sec)
ddd269 is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #19
Grizzles
First Lieutenant
 
Grizzles's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 550XI MSPORT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NNJ

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

anybody do an escort install?
Grizzles is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #20
taylorpetie
Private
 
taylorpetie's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i X-Drive, Dark Graphite II
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzles View Post
anybody do an escort install?
Hardwiring a radar detector should be the same, whether it's V1 or Escort. I installed an 'add-a-circuit' mini fuse (purchased mine at parts-express.com) to the fuse box (located in the glove compartment). Fuse #48 worked for me. You'll also need a 'direct wire' from Escort (their website escortradar.com has it). For general overview of direct wiring, Youtube has lots of 'how to' for direct wiring the Escort. Hope this helps.
taylorpetie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #21
E60orBust
Captain
 
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MD

Posts: 643
iTrader: (0)

Anyone experience a lot of false positives with the valentine one? If my V1 is at i-Drive screen or higher (holding it in my hand), I get a constant false positive coming from behind. I've had no choice but to unplug it.

Something in my 550i must be broadcasting a lot of interference.
__________________
Down for Maintenance
E60orBust is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
smithrh
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 479
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6lor View Post
In my area, I am seeing a lot more lasers. I removed my detector because of a broken wire, and have decided not to bother replacing it. I find the best defense is knowing where the speed traps are and keeping a good eye out. Been ticket free for a long time now.
l


I haven't seen much of anything besides laser around these parts for a while, it's near 100% laser now.

Oh, and regarding VASCAR, it's just timing between two measured points. No sophisticated math involved at all.
smithrh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
550, install, valentine one, valentine v1, wire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST