2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New App "BMW Connected" - when will it work in the car?

12-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
bmwstates
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

New App "BMW Connected" - when will it work in the car?

BMW just released a new app at the Iphone appstore. Now this is a way more promising app that the earlier "My Bmw Remote". The app itself will contain many applications that will be controlled by the iDrive. This includes facebook, listening to 1000s of radio stations worldwide etc.

The only problem is that once I connect the iphone via the USB, and test the connection (there is a link for that in the app), it fails to establish a connection.

The app says that it will be available for cars with option 6NR. Now, does anybody know whether this is something that post-September built cars already have? Or can it be retrofitted? Can it be done via a software update? Anyone that knows about this?

The app says that it will include a lot more features. Currently it has a few. But, it seems much more promising than that. It will basically allow using many of the iphone's apps indirectly.

Let me know when you hear something about it. Or if you test it, let me know whether it connects to your iDrive etc.

You will find it in the US appstore (unlike the My BMW Remote which is not here yet)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

It says in the App description March of 2011 after a software update and requiring option "6NR"

I'd like to know if this will be a complete replacement for the BMW Remote app?
      12-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
erce
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10

Let's hope this "6NR" option is just a software update...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

It sounds like it will be a firmware update because the app description states most BMWs. I tried connecting it and it does not work yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Alpine tourist
Alpine tourist
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 Deep Sea Blue

You will also need BMW assist to be activated - this is not available in all countries at launch.

Interestingly it seems to be linked to internet setup of the car.

For example the new F25 has 2 versions: built in SIM card (i.e. permanent connection) and tethering (e.g. via an iPhone) - this functionality will not work unless the connection is permanent - assuming you do not leave your iPhone in the car always...!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d M Sport auto

Garage List
I've been told that the Connected and Remote apps are different. Remote works on cars built with the new combox post- Sept 2010' and Connected only works with cars post-week 9 build in March 2011 with the 6NR option specified.

I've just successfully changed my order which was down for week 10.

Requirements for Connected app and 6NR option:

Navigation system – BMW Professional Multimedia (option 609). − Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics (option 633). − USB audio interface (option 6FL). − Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF), as well as the new snap-in adapter and an iPhone 3GS or 4 with 3G connection.

It doesn't appear that BMW assist is required for this to work, because there is no communication between the iPhone and car except when it is connected to the car.

With the Remote app, BMW assist is required because that allows the connection between the iPhone and the car when they are apart from each other.
      01-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
EvolutionTheory
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanflux View Post
I've been told that the Connected and Remote apps are different. Remote works on cars built with the new combox post- Sept 2010' and Connected only works with cars post-week 9 build in March 2011 with the 6NR option specified.

I've just successfully changed my order which was down for week 10.

Requirements for Connected app and 6NR option:

Navigation system – BMW Professional Multimedia (option 609). − Bluetooth telephone preparation with telematics (option 633). − USB audio interface (option 6FL). − Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF), as well as the new snap-in adapter and an iPhone 3GS or 4 with 3G connection.

It doesn't appear that BMW assist is required for this to work, because there is no communication between the iPhone and car except when it is connected to the car.

With the Remote app, BMW assist is required because that allows the connection between the iPhone and the car when they are apart from each other.
Which sucks because the BMW Remote app isn't available for US iTunes accounts. Hopefully this year though.
      01-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
Which sucks because the BMW Remote app isn't available for US iTunes accounts. Hopefully this year though.
I wonder if the BMW assist technology or the 2.5G sim cards or the network differences in the US mean that remote isn't currently possible?

Though I think some US people have got it via fake UK iTunes accounts and it has worked....
      01-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Go down to the "Anyone know of the complete list of changes 3/11" string and you will see a document from BMW further describing the "6NR BMW Connected" feature.

Looks like this will add Web Radio, Twitter and Facebook for Apple iPhone Users. For those cars made after 3/11, the menu will no longer say BMW Assist...but BMW Connected. It will still have the same BMW Assist items, but now the Web radio, Twitter, Facebook.

Other than Web Radio, not sure what Twitter and Facebook will get you. Most interactive functions are usually very limited when the car is rolling down the road. (BMW doesn't want perople to text as they drive.) On top of that, I don't currently Tweat or do anything with Facebook.

That being said, I cannot blame those of you wanting to get the latest technology on your car. I did the same thing with the whole Combox changover in September.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

I think the issue is that this change may lay the platform for further iPhone integration such as "iPod out" and the capability for the phone to drive the content to the cars display. I agree that Facebook Twitter stuff is not enough to get all worked up, but if this option is later required for further enhancements, it will be a shame. It also makes the Combox hype as a platform for future capabilities seem empty.
      01-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
I think the issue is that this change may lay the platform for further iPhone integration such as "iPod out" and the capability for the phone to drive the content to the cars display. I agree that Facebook Twitter stuff is not enough to get all worked up, but if this option is later required for further enhancements, it will be a shame. It also makes the Combox hype as a platform for future capabilities seem empty.
Agree.

I cannot help but wonder why all these new functions and features cannot be upgraded on Combox equiped models through software updates....and that those features can be accessed via Bluetooth. Why does having to plug the iPhone into the car matter? This aspect (if true), I don't qhite understand.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Titanflux
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Agree.

I cannot help but wonder why all these new functions and features cannot be upgraded on Combox equiped models through software updates....and that those features can be accessed via Bluetooth. Why does having to plug the iPhone into the car matter? This aspect (if true), I don't qhite understand.
.... Because the manufacturer can charge for extra options, which in turn rely on paying for other options. And of course the dealer gets their extra margin too, which is often a higher percentage on optional extras.

Plus Bluetooth profiles don't allow for apps over Bluetooth either, and may not have enough bandwidth.

Last edited by Titanflux; 01-18-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
Why does this matter when you can easily get the app through UK iTunes?
Appreciate 0