2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i or 535d? Decisions, decisions

12-29-2018, 12:46 AM   #23
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
I had a similar choice back in October and went with (2015) 535i (I really wanted another 5 series for my commute car). Only because the day I went into buy the (2015) 535d, the stop sell for the diesel came out so I could not take it home.
What "stop sell" is that? Is it a CA thing or nationwide?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
If the stop-sale of diesels is the result of the EGR Cooler recall, I am surprised. If it's a serious emission problem, I wonder why BMW has not contacted diesel owners. I only learned of it when getting my 535d's when getting the car's oil changed. Upon asking, my dealer indicated that my X3 28d was also included. To top it off, I was advised that the parts involved in the fix where not yet available from BMW. If anyone else, has a different version (as dealers are not always the most creditable source), please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by note46 View Post
...Only because the day I went into buy the (2015) 535d, the stop sell for the diesel came out so I could not take it home....
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
What "stop sell" is that? Is it a CA thing or nationwide?

The only "stop sell" I remember was for Volkswagen AG diesels because of their cheating. All I can find for BMW diesel sales is THIS... BMW may have voluntarily stopped selling diesels waiting to see what happened with the Volkswagen AG situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #26
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Talked to a salesman at a BMW dealership about an X3 diesel today. He said that the diesels should not be on their website as they received some kind of "stop sale" related to the EGR problem (he thinks) back in October. That would gel with what note46 said.

The salesman said he is going to check if the EGR issue is the reason for the stop sale. I suppose the alternative is that BMW plan to withdraw all those in inventory, new and used, and send them to the crusher. That would be a shame as BMW got a clean bill of health after dieselgate, but as diesel sales plummeted since and BMW are no longer importing diesel variants of the new models, you never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #27
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
If BMW resorts to crushing unsold diesels because they are too dirty to sell, then logically current BMW diesel owners would have vehicles too dirty to drive. Essentially, we'd have another VW situation in which a manufacturer was be forced to buy back existing vehicles. I believe that manufacturers must ensure that their vehicles maintain certain emission standards for a mandated period of time. Should that be a problem due to some component failure, they are bound, by law, to correct the problem. Unsold new cars already in inventory must be retrofitted with the same new component, so hence the stop sale. However, something as drastic as destroying unsold cars (and I realize this is only a theory) would certainly draw attention of the news media (as it did in the case of VW). As already mentioned, perhaps this is only an issue in CA that has its own very strict emissions standards.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
If BMW resorts to crushing unsold diesels because they are too dirty to sell, then logically current BMW diesel owners would have vehicles too dirty to drive. Essentially, we'd have another VW situation in which a manufacturer was be forced to buy back existing vehicles. I believe that manufacturers must ensure that their vehicles maintain certain emission standards for a mandated period of time. Should that be a problem due to some component failure, they are bound, by law, to correct the problem. Unsold new cars already in inventory must be retrofitted with the same new component, so hence the stop sale. However, something as drastic as destroying unsold cars (and I realize this is only a theory) would certainly draw attention of the news media (as it did in the case of VW). As already mentioned, perhaps this is only an issue in CA that has its own very strict emissions standards.
We've got a recall in progress in the UK (like other countries) for a possible EGR fault. Appears it can cause fires in a specific mode of failure.

New parts are fitted, if necessary, and all good to go again.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #29
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
We've got a recall in progress in the UK (like other countries) for a possible EGR fault. Appears it can cause fires in a specific mode of failure.

New parts are fitted, if necessary, and all good to go again.
That's what I told the sales guy. It seems the campaign started in Europe some time in September and the memo didn't reach the US until October. I got the recall letter for our 328d (320d in UK) and it states specifically that the remedy is not yet available. I assume this is simply down to lack of parts as some in the UK have had their cars quarantined for months.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:20 PM   #30
note46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe, 328d SW, i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Not at all too dirty to sell. The stop sell was related to EGR cooling issue that could cause an engine fire. Nothing to do with tailpipe emissions.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #31
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Yes, now I know the specific problem - a letter from BMW came to my house today. My earlier response was to explain why I didn't think the problem was large enough to cause BMW to destroy vehicles because they were part a a stop sell. I attempted to point out that if the problem were of a VW scale, then the press would have written more about it.
Appreciate 0