2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Airconditioning Smell

01-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #45
cals
cals
Rep
Drives: E34, E39, E60, F10, E70, F15

Garage List
2017 BMW X5  [0.00]
2001 BMW E39  [0.00]
2004 BMW E60  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemulder View Post
ambient temperature is now below zero, (about -8C), if I set CC to Auto and set to 16C, I don't smell anything because heater core is not engaged. evaporator/compress is also not on.
the moment I change to higher temp in CC control with AC on ,let's say 17C, I smell something bad. I don't know if its coolant or EVAPORATOR..

please share your insight if you can.

Thanks.

btw, I cleaned the EVAPORATOR a couple times already.
Did you ever find what was the cause?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #46
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I've seen videos where they force disinfectant up into the condensation drain line to clean it out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #47
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Now that we hit spring and summer, I notice that the aircon tends to smell a bit, mostly when you turn it off (the snowflake).

I can't remember it being such an issue last year, perhaps since it has been off all the winter?

Any tips to bring the smell back to normal? Passengers are complaining!
I had a similar issue, BMW wanted a small fortune to clean out the system, but I learned if you have the A/C on and your get a smell... do this... when your done driving, turn A/C off, leave engine running a bit .. turn temp up.. and let the warmer air get that cold air out , get that condensation out if any and after awhile you will notice a difference.. I do not have a smell anymore ... also helps to change out the cabin filters if you haven't
      01-22-2022, 09:10 AM   #48
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesmarinara75 View Post
I had a similar issue, BMW wanted a small fortune to clean out the system, but I learned if you have the A/C on and your get a smell... do this... when your done driving, turn A/C off, leave engine running a bit .. turn temp up.. and let the warmer air get that cold air out , get that condensation out if any and after awhile you will notice a difference.. I do not have a smell anymore ... also helps to change out the cabin filters if you haven't
Did this many time and noticed that the humidity inside the car was significantly rising to the point it felt damp inside the car (expected result tho). I don't think this is a good idea if we gonna leave the car inside closed garage for prolonged period as mold will grow in the interior.

Gonna clean the evap tomorrow morning, already wrote the culprit here
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=19

Edit:
Okay, just finished the whole process. Cleaned the evap using the hanger method, I don't have endoscope with me so I can't verify the surface area. Used a chamois cloth to absorb the drippings and can confirm it was nasty.

I think Sonax Klima was the endgame here. The smell from hell just got abolished with a can of Sonax. Will get back with the result in 3 days to see whether Sonax just masked the smell or really removed it.

Last edited by Johnkwick; 01-22-2022 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 06:40 PM   #49
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkwick View Post
Did this many time and noticed that the humidity inside the car was significantly rising to the point it felt damp inside the car (expected result tho). I don't think this is a good idea if we gonna leave the car inside closed garage for prolonged period as mold will grow in the interior.

Gonna clean the evap tomorrow morning, already wrote the culprit here
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=19

Edit:
Okay, just finished the whole process. Cleaned the evap using the hanger method, I don't have endoscope with me so I can't verify the surface area. Used a chamois cloth to absorb the drippings and can confirm it was nasty.

I think Sonax Klima was the endgame here. The smell from hell just got abolished with a can of Sonax. Will get back with the result in 3 days to see whether Sonax just masked the smell or really removed it.
Glad you got it all sorted out