2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LCI disappointments: NO MORE M suspension (?), halogen turn signals on xenon lights

08-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #111
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Two BMW reps that I've spoken to say the M-Sports all have the sport suspension even though it does sit high. Who knows what the real story is? I still say the easy fix is lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #112
Rzrbck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon 535D X-Drive

I just checked my 535dx M sport and my drivers side vent is also closed, passenger side open.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #113
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
Two BMW reps that I've spoken to say the M-Sports all have the sport suspension even though it does sit high. Who knows what the real story is? I still say the easy fix is lowering springs.
I contacted GM of the dealership i ordered my car, and he is contacting field rep and someone from New Jersey to confirm this. As soon as i know the answer I’ll post it here.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #114
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I just spent 30 min on the phone with BMW NA with some woman who couldn't answer a single question I had. She kept referring me to my dealer who know about as much as her. I'm not sure if anyone here can answer, but here are my questions. 1. since they took the LED front turn signals off, when you add the LED ighting package do you get the LED front turn signals? Also does anyone know which suspension you get if you add the adaptive drive? Also on a side note, I took a photo of the front LED fogs. Theres a radiator visible behind each fog and the intercooler is visible on the lower middle grill, with the radiator visible through the kidney's. Does anyone know if those are both oil coolers behind the fogs? Thanks in advance.
Yes, the LED headlights get LED turn signals, but it's different from the pre-lci turn signal.
Now it's a long bar on top of the headlight.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #115
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
I asked my Dealership if my 2014 535D M Sport Does not have M suspension. Below is their response.

Yes, it unfortunately does not come with the M-Sport suspension. It will start Sept production though due to popular demand.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #116
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Thanks REM! I just went to the dealership and went to the parts dept to have them pull up the headlight housings for the HID and LED assemblies. On the LED assembly it shows an LED turn signal module. On the Msport suspension. When I looked at the dynamic handling pkg it says it eliminates 704 when added. 704 is the Msport suspension is deleted. I'm wondering if its a typo and is supposed to mean the 704 is added. The GM is calling his rep to find out about the Msport suspension and if it can be ordered as a stand alone option. I'll post here when I find out. I drove the 2014 Msport today and the first word that comes to mind on the handling is "crap" to put it nicely. It's like driving a Cadillac. Switching between comfort and sport yields little difference IMO.
Attached Images

08-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #117
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks REM! I just went to the dealership and went to the parts dept to have them pull up the headlight housings for the HID and LED assemblies. On the LED assembly it shows an LED turn signal module. On the Msport suspension. When I looked at the dynamic handling pkg it says it eliminates 704 when added. 704 is the Msport suspension is deleted. I'm wondering if its a typo and is supposed to mean the 704 is added. The GM is calling his rep to find out about the Msport suspension and if it can be ordered as a stand alone option. I'll post here when I find out. I drove the 2014 Msport today and the first word that comes to mind on the handling is "crap" to put it nicely. It's like driving a Cadillac. Switching between comfort and sport yields little difference IMO.
It's correct that the Adaptive drive will delete 704.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #118
Gator_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3 View Post
I asked my Dealership if my 2014 535D M Sport Does not have M suspension. Below is their response.

Yes, it unfortunately does not come with the M-Sport suspension. It will start Sept production though due to popular demand.

Wow.. that would be the first report I've heard of this! Some of you may be aware that this LCI 5 series (lack of) m sport suspension topic is being very hotly debated on another similarly popular forum. A lot of answers are there after many have contacted BMW North America, etc. There were website errors (some have been fixed now) and errors in the ordering guide (like the mention of deleting 704 with DHP, as was the case in '13). In any case, this would be welcome info if 704 becomes available as an option on the M Sport Package starting in September production. igom3, could you push for any more details? This would make a lot of people very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #119
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Including my self! I actually was going to go with 2013 535I because of this. Yes I’ll try to get more details ASAP. Believe me this was a surprise for me too!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #120
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

I wouldn't bet on this just yet. Logically this wouldn't make any sense on Bmw's part because its not like the msport suspension is something all new that they had to delay its introduction on. This is the first i've heard of this. "due to popular demand" I find that hard to believe that after only after a few weeks of the LCI's hitting our shores this topic popped up and now bmw reacted to it so quickly by adding it back in the Msport package thus screwing everyone who had a July/August build LCI's?

This would be great news for future LCI owners but lets not let this rumor get out of hand until theirs more evidence of this besides one salesman mouth who's motive is to sell you a car.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 08-14-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #121
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
It's correct that the Adaptive drive will delete 704.

What I don't understand is, why would it delete the Msport suspension (704), when the Msport suspension doesn't exist on the 535 anymore?
      08-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #122
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
To give you guys an idea of the wheel gap on 2014 Msport, I can lay my iPhone 5 on its side level on top of the tire and easily place it between the fender and the tire. Someone said in a earlier post it was only 10mm higher than a 2013, if so I don't think you'd be able to visibly notice the difference if the 2 cars were side by side. When I saw a 2013 next to a 2014 the other day, I coulda been Ray Charles and seen the difference!
Yeah, I don't care what BMW says, the ACTUAL wheel gap difference looks like the 2014 is being jacked next to a 2013, it's truly night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
Confirmed that the LCI M Sport gets the exact same standard suspension as all other LCI F10's.

Quote:

Okay, this is very, very interesting. I wonder if it's BS.

Quote:
I drove the 2014 Msport today and the first word that comes to mind on the handling is "crap" to put it nicely. It's like driving a Cadillac. Switching between comfort and sport yields little difference IMO.

Well there we have it, yet another who's driven an LCI M Sport and is unhappy with the dynamics. Fail, BMW, fix it!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #123
Gator_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This would be great news for future LCI owners but lets not let this rumor get out of hand until theirs more evidence of this besides one salesman mouth who's motive is to sell you a car.
Totally agree Alan. Would need way more to substantiate something like this. FWIW, I asked BMW NA a big wtf on why they dropped it for '14 in the US and also if they would be offering it in the US in 2014 as an option. They left themselves some wiggle room in the response but it could just be a canned answer:
We apologize for your dissatisfaction. At this time, M Sport suspension is not being offered on the 2014 BMW 5 Series. BMW reserves the right to introduce new features or make adjustments at any time during the production of a specific model. We appreciate your understanding, as product development is an ongoing process.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #124
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

K-A I drove a 2013 Msport with all the BMW performance accessories in the BMW drive event when it came to my dealership. It had the Msport suspension. There's always a certain route I take when I test drive cars due to the sharp curves, dips and winding roads. When I drove the 2013 it felt like it was planted to the road. There's a 180 degree turn on my route and I traveled through it at 50mph. The car didn't break a sweat and I felt confident in the turn. The 2014 I drove today took away all that confidence. It felt squirly and unpredictable. Kind of like the tires were sliding out from under the car. It didn't have a planted feel like the 2013 and felt like it had narrow all season tires on it. Both had the Dunlop sport RFT so I know it's not the tires. I was on the same road and the road was dry both times, temps were within about 10 degrees on the 2 test drives. I'll put it another way, I can go 50 mph around the same 180 curve in my X5 Msport with the Msport suspension on all season tires with a lot more confidence and planted feel. Another way to put it, my wife noticed a difference and we all know women notice very little. I was about to pull the trigger and order, but I'm on hold till I get this figured out.
      08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #125
Donser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

I just thinkered with my fog light port for my LCI 535xi Msport. Passenger side is open and can see the side radiator. The closed driver side port, I was able to easily pop the frame off the fog light and remove the plastic cover showing. There is nothing in there! Just wires. No radiator. I thought maybe they just forgot to remove the covers. Now I wonder if the forgot the radiator. Can someone please confirm? Maybe the 2 sided radiator is only on the 550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
So BOTH fog sides still have visible radiators to cool, next to them Or just one side like Hoa said? If both then thank GOODNESS, I was really about to hate the LCI if they took away even one. First no M suspension, then if it had no extra lower side radiators (BOTH like the pre-LCI) then literally there are no functional enhancements on the M Sport package. Taking the suspension away is the big one but at least leave us with some extra cooling still, and not any less than the pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #126
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
K-A I drove a 2013 Msport with all the BMW performance accessories in the BMW drive event when it came to my dealership. It had the Msport suspension. There's always a certain route I take when I test drive cars due to the sharp curves, dips and winding roads. When I drove the 2013 it felt like it was planted to the road. There's a 180 degree turn on my route and I traveled through it at 50mph. The car didn't break a sweat and I felt confident in the turn. The 2014 I drove today took away all that confidence. It felt squirly and unpredictable. Kind of like the tires were sliding out from under the car. It didn't have a planted feel like the 2013 and felt like it had narrow all season tires on it. Both had the Dunlop sport RFT so I know it's not the tires. I was on the same road and the road was dry both times, temps were within about 10 degrees on the 2 test drives. I'll put it another way, I can go 50 mph around the same 180 curve in my X5 Msport with the Msport suspension on all season tires with a lot more confidence and planted feel. Another way to put it, my wife noticed a difference and we all know women notice very little. I was about to pull the trigger and order, but I'm on hold till I get this figured out.
Thanks for this info. Just as I suspected. I'm posting your quotes on the "other" Bimmer forum to let others read more firsthand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donser View Post
I just thinkered with my fog light port for my LCI 535xi Msport. Passenger side is open and can see the side radiator. The closed driver side port, I was able to easily pop the frame off the fog light and remove the plastic cover showing. There is nothing in there! Just wires. No radiator. I thought maybe they just forgot to remove the covers. Now I wonder if the forgot the radiator. Can someone please confirm? Maybe the 2 sided radiator is only on the 550?
WTF is going on? So now they even remove one of the radiators that the pre-LCI M Sports had?

What's more odd is that some people are saying that they still have BOTH visible radiators on their LCI M Sports. Can anyone confirm an LCI 535i with M Sport definitely has BOTH side/fog light intake radiators intact and exposed?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #127
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

WTF is going on? So now they even remove one of the radiators that the pre-LCI M Sports had?

What's more odd is that some people are saying that they still have BOTH visible radiators on their LCI M Sports. Can anyone confirm an LCI 535i with M Sport definitely has BOTH side/fog light intake radiators intact and exposed?[/QUOTE]

The 2014 Msport I drove today had both sides open with a visible radiator on each side. As I said before it looks like the fog light is suspend over the opening to the radiator on each side. I'm really unhappy with BMW right now. I'm giving the X5 to my wife and planned on the 2014 535 Msport, but now I don't know what to do? Infiniti Q50 or wait for the M3?
      08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #128
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:

What's more odd is that some people are saying that they still have BOTH visible radiators on their LCI M Sports. Can anyone confirm an LCI 535i with M Sport definitely has BOTH side/fog light intake radiators intact and exposed?

The 2014 Msport I drove today had both sides open with a visible radiator on each side. As I said before it looks like the fog light is suspend over the opening to the radiator on each side. I'm really unhappy with BMW right now. I'm giving the X5 to my wife and planned on the 2014 535 Msport, but now I don't know what to do? Infiniti Q50 or wait for the M3?[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for confirming that again. Either something fishy is keeping certain buyers from getting the double-sided radiators their M Sports deserve, or some option is getting in the way of having it on certain models.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #129
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Wonder if it has anything to do with geographical regions? Colder climates don't get the extra cooling? I'm in Little Rock, Ar it gets pretty hot here. Maybe the ones that didn't get the extra radiator can post where they live?
      08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #130
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Guys,

Just to be clear here! I'm not spreading any rumors. Just relaying message from my dealership. Again I have hard time believing this. I'll do some more research.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #131
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Guys,

Just to be clear here! I'm not spreading any rumors. Just relaying message from my dealership. Again I have hard time believing this. I'll do some more research.
Not your fault at all man, thank you for relaying that! A credible salesman on the other site said something like what yours did. We may be onto something.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #132
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I have a theory about why some cars have both sides open (two secondary coolers) and why some cars have only one.

Check what tires are on the car. Why?

When you order the Msport package the ordering guide at the dealer (its not on the BYO website) there is two choices for wheels/tires for my 550i. Either staggered 351M wheels with Performance tires or squared 351M wheels with all season tires. Summer tires equipped cars also have a increased top speed limited set to 155mph while all season tire cars are set at 128mph. I have a feeling BMW is doing what they did to some early E9X 335 cars where xdrive or cars without Performance summer tires doesn't get the secondary oil cooler while rear wheel drive cars with summer tires do. Again just speculation at this point but i can't see any other reason why two nearly identical cars would have this variety.

Alan