2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Next BMW - thoughts?

12-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Next BMW - thoughts?

So, I'm starting to think about my next daily driver. I'm currently in a 550xi, and I'm thinking about mixing it up a bit. I've had BMW sedans for the past 15 years, and while I love them, I'm thinking maybe something different for the next. But that said, there's a reason I always come back to the BMW sedan - it's a technological marvel, comfortable, solid, fast, and does all I can hope for in a DD.

The F10 has been great, but I do have to say, the tires have been horrific, and BMW's insistence on no spare tire has infuriated me - but in their defense, many others have done the same. I see they have an optional spare now on the new 7 - maybe reason is setting in?

As far as daily drivers go, I don't really commute anywhere, so the car only gets driven about 6k miles a year - random business trips, restaurants, the airport, errands, etc. I'm usually driving it alone, but I may carry a passenger from time to time. Options I'm considering at the moment:

- BMW i8

I'm not into green cars or hybrid technology, but I'll admit the i8 makes it attractive. It's like something that was sent back from the future. The car is incredibly attractive, of course, both inside and out. However, I'm a bit let down by the fact that it lacks some of the basic technologies that are on my current 550xi (blind-spot detection, automatic cruise control, and ventilated seats to name a few). I suspect the name of the game is weight savings, so some stuff had to go. Could I live without it? Probably... but it's a trade-off. I'm also a bit concerned whether the car is truly ready for prime-time reliability-wise.

- Next 5-series

This is a safe choice unless they totally screw up the look of it. I'm all but certain the tech will be incredible (if it's trickling down from the new 7), the engine choices will be great, and it'll be a perfect executive cruiser. The down-side? It's also very much like the last 15 years of BMW sedans for me... just newer and sleeker. Don't get me wrong, I love them... but I do feel like it may be time to switch it up.

- 6GC

I love the look of the 6GC... even the regular 6 coupe. It's a beautiful GT car, and I'm certain it would make a great DD. It's a bit different than the typical sedan, so that's good, too. But, I test drove a 650xi last year and was a bit disappointed. It felt a bit slower than my current 550xi (not that speed is everything - far from it), but it was more than just speed - it was also control. The 6GC just felt much larger and less nimble. I suspect the 6 coupe is probably an improvement. I'd otherwise consider the M versions, but I'm not looking for a hardcore sports car in my DD.

So, that's currently my BMW line-up at the moment. Ideally, if the i8 convinced me it would work, I may choose it - it feels a bit more like an "experiment" versus a real car at the moment, but that may be just because it's SO different, in so many ways, from what I'm used to in a DD.

While I'd also like to stick with a BMW, I'll probably have to consider some other options, too. The AMG GT-S is on the list at the moment - a bit more hardcore sports car than I think I want/need from my DD, but very alluring nonetheless. I also like the new S-class coupe. I haven't typically found MB offerings very attractive, but these two are stellar in my book.

I'd love to hear some feedback from folks on the board.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
freeewilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Forget about it is a green car. Test drive a Tesla model s, it is so fun to drive, handles like a BMW (before f10), once you try it, you will lost interest on ICE cars. I have a few BMWs over the years, after I got the MS, my 535i just sitting there waiting for the end of lease.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

That's a tough choice with the new 5-series, E-class, Panamera, and A6 just a year or two out. The 6GC is beautiful but not necessarily better. If you have a second more practical car (other than an R8), the i8 feels like the winner. If you only drive 6k miles per year, then living with an "experiment" that lacks a couple of features could be an exciting trade-off to experience one of the most technologically advanced cars on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

The i8 is a great car, but getting in and out of it is a pain! 6GC is lovely too, but I'd probably want to wait for the next generation of design language and technology myself. Be that BMW, MB, Audi, Porsche or Maserati...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
How about M3 or M4?

I just got the M3 - amazing car!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
How about M3 or M4?

I just got the M3 - amazing car!
M5/M6 for me! Tho I've been browsing alot in the F80 forums but I'm not sure about driving a smaller car again
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #7
snowmuch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Macan Turbo

I8
      12-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

This is so funny, not saying you're obese but getting in and out of these is not like jumping into a F10...

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

^^^^^

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

My personal opinion is:

1. BMW I8 - Car looks great but compared to the Tesla P90D, its specs are terrible. The only good thing about the I8 is the looks and doors. Tesla is way more practical considering the amount of space it has in it for DD. I advise to look elsewhere.
2. BMW 5 series and 6 GC - I would get the 6 GC. Like you, I test drove one as well and loved it. I think when you get it, maybe at a chip to increase the power input to counter the slow speed you were getting. You don't see a GC as often as a 5 series and to me, the curves of the car are wonderful!

Good luck on your decision! Would love to hear what you have decided!
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #11
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I would do the 6GC, even the M6 GC if I could. Gorgeous car, perfect upgrade to the 5, while not getting into a large 7.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I would do the 6GC, even the M6 GC if I could. Gorgeous car, perfect upgrade to the 5, while not getting into a large 7.
The 6GC is a noticeably larger car than the 5 series, though...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
I say go all out with a B6 GC.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The Beast - haha, yes I saw that video as well. No, not obese here... but good to know I'm not carrying anyone on the heavier side either. The i8 is a bit of a trick to get in and out of, but the few times I tried at the dealer, it seems easy enough to pick up.

mragarg - completely agree on i8 specs. It's a grand compromise really... and expense to boot. It's not a great sports car for the money. And it's not a great hybrid for the money. But I suppose it's the only hybrid sports car for the money! But I'm not sure it's a reason to buy one. I'm weary of the i8 but interested. It's the one I really need to spend some time with to judge.

As far as the 6GC - I love the looks. I think it's plenty practical for my needs, although I'd need to stick with the 650xi to get the xDrive. While I'd love the M6 GC, I want something still workable for winter... and yes, I know some M5/M6 owners drive their cars in the snow, it's not the experience I'm seeking. The 6GC is one of those cars that I really would like to own while it's current since I have a suspicion BMW may mess it up in the next model year... it's just a beautiful car, and that usually means they'll have a hard time improving it.

It's also large, though... very long feeling. And the 650xi I test drove, while nice, also felt a bit more sluggish than my 550xi and less nimble. I suppose I'd also consider the 650xi coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #15
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast
This is so funny, not saying you're obese but getting in and out of these is not like jumping into a F10...

Haha too funny. My wife has owned nothing but MBs. I will say their NA motors are getting stronger and they have way better suspension then BMW in terms of comfort and street handling. Our BMWs have a way stronger motor on the street and better suspension if your on a track. The thing is most of us don't track. If you stay BMW put non RFT in the budget. If you go MB get the V8 biturbo if you want the power. BMW has a great AT. MB AT has a horrible delay.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, I'm starting to think about my next daily driver. I'm currently in a 550xi, and I'm thinking about mixing it up a bit. I've had BMW sedans for the past 15 years, and while I love them, I'm thinking maybe something different for the next. But that said, there's a reason I always come back to the BMW sedan - it's a technological marvel, comfortable, solid, fast, and does all I can hope for in a DD.

The F10 has been great, but I do have to say, the tires have been horrific, and BMW's insistence on no spare tire has infuriated me - but in their defense, many others have done the same. I see they have an optional spare now on the new 7 - maybe reason is setting in?

As far as daily drivers go, I don't really commute anywhere, so the car only gets driven about 6k miles a year - random business trips, restaurants, the airport, errands, etc. I'm usually driving it alone, but I may carry a passenger from time to time. Options I'm considering at the moment:

- BMW i8

I'm not into green cars or hybrid technology, but I'll admit the i8 makes it attractive. It's like something that was sent back from the future. The car is incredibly attractive, of course, both inside and out. However, I'm a bit let down by the fact that it lacks some of the basic technologies that are on my current 550xi (blind-spot detection, automatic cruise control, and ventilated seats to name a few). I suspect the name of the game is weight savings, so some stuff had to go. Could I live without it? Probably... but it's a trade-off. I'm also a bit concerned whether the car is truly ready for prime-time reliability-wise.

- Next 5-series

This is a safe choice unless they totally screw up the look of it. I'm all but certain the tech will be incredible (if it's trickling down from the new 7), the engine choices will be great, and it'll be a perfect executive cruiser. The down-side? It's also very much like the last 15 years of BMW sedans for me... just newer and sleeker. Don't get me wrong, I love them... but I do feel like it may be time to switch it up.

- 6GC

I love the look of the 6GC... even the regular 6 coupe. It's a beautiful GT car, and I'm certain it would make a great DD. It's a bit different than the typical sedan, so that's good, too. But, I test drove a 650xi last year and was a bit disappointed. It felt a bit slower than my current 550xi (not that speed is everything - far from it), but it was more than just speed - it was also control. The 6GC just felt much larger and less nimble. I suspect the 6 coupe is probably an improvement. I'd otherwise consider the M versions, but I'm not looking for a hardcore sports car in my DD.

So, that's currently my BMW line-up at the moment. Ideally, if the i8 convinced me it would work, I may choose it - it feels a bit more like an "experiment" versus a real car at the moment, but that may be just because it's SO different, in so many ways, from what I'm used to in a DD.

While I'd also like to stick with a BMW, I'll probably have to consider some other options, too. The AMG GT-S is on the list at the moment - a bit more hardcore sports car than I think I want/need from my DD, but very alluring nonetheless. I also like the new S-class coupe. I haven't typically found MB offerings very attractive, but these two are stellar in my book.

I'd love to hear some feedback from folks on the board.
i8 - can't comment in any depth, i'm like you, it has a certain "style", but the dollar value doesn't stack up. my view is early model, which will be greatly improved 1/2 upgrades down the line.

next 5 series - my car, F11, and I'm shit scared they are gonna fuck it up. (pardon the french). the next upgrade I could walk away if its anything like the 'melding' of all the models to the extent the individuality is gone......

6GC - ugliest MFing thing I have ever seen. (you asked)

so, that hasn't helped you at all.

Happy New Year!

p.s. 5 series or nothing for me (the 4 is uglier (from the front) than the 6GC)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 FOR View Post
i8 - can't comment in any depth, i'm like you, it has a certain "style", but the dollar value doesn't stack up. my view is early model, which will be greatly improved 1/2 upgrades down the line.

next 5 series - my car, F11, and I'm shit scared they are gonna fuck it up. (pardon the french). the next upgrade I could walk away if its anything like the 'melding' of all the models to the extent the individuality is gone......

6GC - ugliest MFing thing I have ever seen. (you asked)

so, that hasn't helped you at all.

Happy New Year!

p.s. 5 series or nothing for me (the 4 is uglier (from the front) than the 6GC)
I really think you shouldn't sugarcoat it and say what you really think!!
Appreciate 0