2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Run Flats?????

11-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Run Flats?????

I took my car in to have a run flat replaced. F10 ,19" sports package goodyear tire. I have the insurance on it. Took car to BMW today to have tire replaced. Mind you they knew I was coming since last Wednesday when "I heard the service guy order the tire" . This afternoon they call me & tell me that they won't have the tire till this Wednesday..........There are "none in stock" they say. It takes a week to get a tire? Boy are we in trouble......Good thing I wasn't on a road trip..............Just say'in.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

noo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
97mdrei
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

not good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrmeup View Post
I took my car in to have a run flat replaced. F10 ,19" sports package goodyear tire. I have the insurance on it. Took car to BMW today to have tire replaced. Mind you they knew I was coming since last Wednesday when "I heard the service guy order the tire" . This afternoon they call me & tell me that they won't have the tire till this Wednesday..........There are "none in stock" they say. It takes a week to get a tire? Boy are we in trouble......Good thing I wasn't on a road trip..............Just say'in.
I had the same experience. I was on the fence about the tire/wheel insurance but after reviewing lots of feedback on the RFTs I opted to purchase the BMW 5 yr plan for my F10. Sure enough, after 6000 miles, I picked up a nail and needed to replace a rear tire. No dealerships within 100 miles of my home had the tire in stock. While inspecting the tire, they discovered a bent rear wheel (coincidentally, same wheel as flat tire). The wheel also had to be ordered. In addition, I had to make an extra visit to the dealer so an appraiser could photograph and authorize the wheel replacement (he wasn't available upon initial discovery of damage). This was a big inconvenience to me but could have been a much greater had the tire (and wheel) been damaged to the point of not being usable.

A lot of preparation goes into an automobile product launch and it seems to me that a company the size of BMW (not to mention a company with their reputation) should have spare tires on-hand at the service departments when a product, like the 5 Series, is launched. Especially, when they are willing to sell a BMW backed wheel/tire insurance policy that requires replacement with BMW supplied OEM wheels and/or tires. Did I benefit from the insurance policy? Yes, but the process needs a great deal of improvement to get my full endorsement. So far, I'm not sold on the advantage of RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
rchang
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

We have the same problem finding Goodyear Excellence run flat tires. 3 of our tires developed bubbles on the side wall after 8000 miles. Goodyear told us they have stop production until March 2011. We bought our car in Sept 2010 and have being trying to find the Goodyear Excellence 245/40R19 tires since January. I have never experienced having this many bubbles on tires and finding out the manufacturer have stop production on this model.

Now I have too look for another brand just for the front or change all 4 tires.
Appreciate 0