2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Adios!
Closed Thread

09-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Adios!

I have reached the end of my rope with the F10. Multiple calls to BMW and multiple visits by their regional tech failed to resolve my issues with the idle and the steering. On top of that were all of the other little stupid electronic problems with the car (typical BMW) and I just decided to call it quits. I'd rather take the financial hit now and be rid of it rather than paying for it every month and not enjoying the ownership experience.

Typically if you have a lot of problems, BMW will get you out of the car and into another, but I don't want another one. If, like they tell me, "they all do that" then why should I bother? And I think BMW has got some issues to work out with their electronic steering assist, not just on the 5 series.

So I sold the car Tuesday. I should have kept my E92.

For those of you with no problems (or can live with the problems) I wish you the best of luck. For those who are thinking of buying a new 5 series, if you want a nice luxury car, go buy a Lexus. If you want a nice sport/luxury car, go get an Audi. If you want a nice looking luxury car, go get the Mercedes.

I love my M5 and I'll be driving that every day now. And I'll likely buy another BMW down the road, but it will be a used one, and something pre-turbo, pre-electric steering.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
inny
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F10

Garage List
2011 BMW F10  [0.00]
1995 BMW E34  [0.00]
2007 BMW E60  [0.00]
Heya,

I am sorry to hear your experience....

Currently I am driving an E60 and for the last 2 years with absolutely no problems and I am now waiting my AW F10.

Previously I was driving an E34 which only problem I remember having is something with the ABS "brain" or "ecu" cant remember how they called it that time.

Before that dad had an E28 which pretty much had no electronics as current cars but I don't remember him frustrated about that car. We actually sold it around 1994 for the equivalent of 6000Euros.

Brother owns a E81 with only coil problems. We replaced the coil around 3 times the last year.

What I am trying to say is that if you are BMW driver inside you, then you will keep going with BMWs. Unfortunately or fortunately my dad gave us this addiction and for me no Audi or Mercedes or any other brand will ever fit in my garage.

I do appreciate and feel your frustration but what I am trying to pass here is that BMW for some is the one and only option especially if you have/had plenty of models or a great experience with them.

I might be wrong, just my only 2 cents.

Good luck with your next car and I am honestly feel disappointed seeing people getting rid BMW for problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Bamsha
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
For those of you with no problems (or can live with the problems) I wish you the best of luck. For those who are thinking of buying a new 5 series, if you want a nice luxury car, go buy a Lexus. If you want a nice sport/luxury car, go get an Audi. If you want a nice looking luxury car, go get the Mercedes.
Well I have a 2011 with no problems so far, so I would definelty recommend to get a new F10 to anyone who is considering it at this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Lexus lol, all cars have problems. Sorry you had a bad experiece and I hope you enjoy your Lexus. We had a lexus 2004 RX330 and it had a few little problems just like most cars do. Great car and my mother still drives it. I think they make nice/good cars, but are dull. They are not as bullet proof as they used to be. Peace

My F10 has been almost perfect. I did have to update my software after it was a few months old. Almost 18,000 miles now.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsha View Post
Well I have a 2011 with no problems so far, so I would definelty recommend to get a new F10 to anyone who is considering it at this time.
+1

But of course I understand the emotions of OP.

Last edited by EdM5; 09-01-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
I have reached the end of my rope with the F10. Multiple calls to BMW and multiple visits by their regional tech failed to resolve my issues with the idle and the steering. On top of that were all of the other little stupid electronic problems with the car (typical BMW) and I just decided to call it quits. I'd rather take the financial hit now and be rid of it rather than paying for it every month and not enjoying the ownership experience.

Typically if you have a lot of problems, BMW will get you out of the car and into another, but I don't want another one. If, like they tell me, "they all do that" then why should I bother? And I think BMW has got some issues to work out with their electronic steering assist, not just on the 5 series.

I love my M5 and I'll be driving that every day now. And I'll likely buy another BMW down the road, but it will be a used one, and something pre-turbo, pre-electric steering.
Just curious, what was the hit on the trade. Was it in the middle of a lease? i thought you loved the stick shift in this car. I am in a little shock that you sold you car, but i understand the issues of idle and others were not being fixed.

Anyone else with a stick 535i from 11? think the 12 model is any better?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

All cars can have issues, it's not necessarily brand specific. For every owner with problems, you'll find another owner with none.

But BMW does seem to be having some well documented problems lately. Audi did in the past, and there was a period for Mercedes, too. Maybe this is BMW's 'low period." But the good thing is it motivates the manufacturer to do better. No mfg wants dissatisfied consumers publicly complaining, nor do they want bad publicity from places like JD Powers and Consumer Reports. And right now (2011) BMW is ranked very low by JD Powers.

I'm a long time Porsche owner and have the brand "addiction" in my blood. But Porsche has pulled some really lame stuff in the past and produced some big, big design mistakes that hurt consumers (IMS and RMS failures being some of the biggest gaffes.) Just because we have the brand in our "blood" doesn't mean they get carte blanche to make blunders.

BMW has made a lot of big expensive mistakes. And it's our job as consumers to make them accountable and to fix the known issues. We need to let them know that we won't put up with poor quality, and force them to do better. Don't sit back and look the other way just because you like the brand. There's no excuse for defending a brand for making expensive mistakes and shoddy products just because you like and own the brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Just curious, what was the hit on the trade. Was it in the middle of a lease? i thought you loved the stick shift in this car.
It was a lease, and yes, I took a huge hit. Too embarrassed to tell you what it was. I decided that making those huge monthly payments while not enjoying the car was a waste of my money. I rationalized the loss by balancing the cost against freeing myself from the stress of dealing with the car, service issues and BMW. Life is too short.

The transmission was sublime, most of the time.

When I wrote the original post here I was pretty ticked-off at BMW for their inability or unwillingness to address my complaints. Some of the comments by others in this thread are off the mark - if you read what I said, you'll see that I still have my M5 and expect to own more BMWs in the future. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. This car was my ninth new BMW. I've also bought 5 used ones. And I've owned 7 BMW motorcycles. To accuse me of not being a BMW fan is unfair.

Probably the thing I disliked most about the car was the steering. This is where I think BMW is really going wrong. One of their strongest suits has always been the very communicative steering on their cars, and to lose that is a crime.

Stickypaws makes some good points, and like him I have also been a long-time Porsche owner. Nothing drives like a Porsche, and even with their current issues they still make great cars. However, the prices are just too high for me to consider them again.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It was a lease, and yes, I took a huge hit. Too embarrassed to tell you what it was. I decided that making those huge monthly payments while not enjoying the car was a waste of my money. I rationalized the loss by balancing the cost against freeing myself from the stress of dealing with the car, service issues and BMW. Life is too short.

When I wrote the original post here I was pretty ticked-off at BMW for their inability or unwillingness to address my complaints. Some of the comments by others in this thread are off the mark - if you read what I said, you'll see that I still have my M5 and expect to own more BMWs in the future. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. This car was my ninth new BMW. I've also bought 5 used ones. And I've owned 7 BMW motorcycles. To accuse me of not being a BMW fan is unfair.

Probably the thing I disliked most about the car was the steering. This is where I think BMW is really going wrong. One of their strongest suits has always been the very communicative steering on their cars, and to lose that is a crime.

Stickypaws makes some good points, and like him I have also been a long-time Porsche owner. Nothing drives like a Porsche, and even with their current issues they still make great cars. However, the prices are just too high for me to consider them again.
Thanks for the reply. I had to sell a car int he middle of the lease so i know what you mean and I know the hit one takes. Sadly your car will go to another car enthuiast who will then get agrevated. I guess thats how it goes.

Now with the steering... of the cars I have driven, steering as been great. When did it all go to hell. I would like to know because i took the plunge and waiting now... so what do i have to expect? gloom and doom or some good luck? yikes!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Sorry to see you feeling like this and I would probably do the same in your position and hopefully your next car (whatever it may be) will live a long life without any issues... Some of your generalizations are pretty amusing, though:
Quote:
if you want a nice luxury car, go buy a Lexus. If you want a nice looking luxury car, go get the Mercedes.
Reading these it is clear to me that you (maybe fortunately) haven't had enough of ownership experience of different car brands. We had several Lexus cars/models over the years, and in the past they WERE pretty reliable and felt extremely "solid" when driving them, however that was all in the past. Our last Lexus, first-year LS460, had perhaps more issues than any car we ever owned before, including interior lower B-pillars looking like a cat's scratch post after one year (there was TSB for that), replaced padding in front seat's cushions due to some plastic part of the seat feeling rather uncomfortable when using a certain size of butt for seating (there was TSB for that), several adjustments to glove box compartment's locking mechanism which constantly created a half-inch gap between closed glove box door and the dashboard (there was TSB for that), pretty loud wind noise coming from the external mirrors' area during driving (multiple TSB's for that, was never resolved before the end of our lease), HomeLink transmitter being a bitch to program (there was TSB for that), fuel lines being replaced due to potential corrosion from certain types of fuel (there was TSB for that) and several other problems I can't really remember. And surely you wouldn't honestly think that current E-class Mercedes, with its awful exterior design which looks like something that was designed in Korea/China, can be really classified as "nice looking"? It looks much, MUCH worse than whatever BMW tried to do with E60's exterior design
So yea, generalizing car brands is not a good thing to do, as someone has already told you - every manufacturer has (and will always have) its set of issues, regardless of what "Consumer Reports", "J.D. Power" and other "random numbers"-generating publications might try to brainwash you with
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #11
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

Quote:

+ 1

I almost pulled the trigger my self recently. But the hit was too big so I chickened out at the last minute.

I admire your decision to just turn the page and move on. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneMan View Post
I almost pulled the trigger my self recently.
I'm curious what it is about the car that brought you to that point.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
I have had a lot of BMWs over the years, from my first secondhand 2002 up to my recent F12. Including Z3, 3series, 7series. Never a 5series though.
The cars have gotten a lot more reliable - which doesn't mean perfect. But neither are the competitors
So you won't be happier in a Lexus og Mercedes, but you will in your next BMW
      09-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

bye bye
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Top of the 3rd page:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=485934&page=3

- Jerky transmission
- Throttle delay
- Vauge steering
- Pulling to the right
- Faulty Runflat often bubble (although now I'm okay with my new normal tires).

Most importantly:
- BMW does not have fixes yet for steering.
- BMW says it's normal.

My build is March 2010
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
would you consider a 2011 335is? you did enjoy your old e92...?

I am still thinking they will have the electronic steering on the new f30 335i...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #17
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Lexus, lol.

Anyway, I am on my 2nd F10. First one, my dealer was fantastic and got me out of it after 3 service attempts. The replacement F10 has been incredible to own, my favorite car to date.

Wish you luck but always remember, they are machines made by man, much like life, always will be problems, however, I hope the problems that you will face in the next car you purchase will not get in the way with your overall enjoyment.

Later.
      09-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
would you consider a 2011 335is? you did enjoy your old e92...?

I am still thinking they will have the electronic steering on the new f30 335i...
I concur, I think they'll go with the electric steering on the F30, which will just be a mini F10. Well, mini is a relative term.

I did like the E92 and now regret selling it. The ride was a bit too stiff for me, and that was the only reason that I traded it for the F10. I wanted something more comfortable and I got that, but you know what they say about hindsight.

Of course, I did have the HPFP issue on the E92 and after that fix and recall the car never ran quite right. It's a pattern that I've seen before with BMW.

I'm enjoying driving my M5 every day, so it's not like I've left the BMW family, and since my fiance has an E46 there's always something to work on if I get bored.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I concur, I think they'll go with the electric steering on the F30, which will just be a mini F10. Well, mini is a relative term.

I did like the E92 and now regret selling it. The ride was a bit too stiff for me, and that was the only reason that I traded it for the F10. I wanted something more comfortable and I got that, but you know what they say about hindsight.

Of course, I did have the HPFP issue on the E92 and after that fix and recall the car never ran quite right. It's a pattern that I've seen before with BMW.

I'm enjoying driving my M5 every day, so it's not like I've left the BMW family, and since my fiance has an E46 there's always something to work on if I get bored.
thats good. again sorry the f10 didn't work out. I was always happy to know a 6 speed and 535i were paired up. Hope mine ends up being okay!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
tlaselva
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
For those who are thinking of buying a new 5 series, if you want a nice luxury car, go buy a Lexus. If you want a nice sport/luxury car, go get an Audi. If you want a nice looking luxury car, go get the Mercedes.
That's your emotions speaking without the benefit of your intellect.

I read your post carefully, and I have a suspicion your one of those 'difficult to please' customers.

Your obvious vengeful tone in your post IMO reflects worse on you than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #21
M3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3,911S

Quote:

I am with you When I read you thread I feel like it was written by me.
you did the right decision.
life is too short to be tortured by a lease.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaselva View Post
That's your emotions speaking without the benefit of your intellect.

I read your post carefully, and I have a suspicion your one of those 'difficult to please' customers.

Your obvious vengeful tone in your post IMO reflects worse on you than BMW.
You seem to be taking this personally.
Are you affiliated with BMW in any way?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread