2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications RPI Mufflers On 550i

09-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 m550i

RPI Mufflers On 550i

Whats up guys i finally got a chance to install my RPI mufflers on my 550i. The car looks and sounds amazing. As you can see from the pictures they cut the stock mufflers before the bends added a small piping and welded the mufflers on. overall i love the exhaust its quiet during cruising speeds and loud when im driving fast. My only complain is when im driving at crusing speeds and i slowly gas it theres a lot of drone around 2,000 rpm which stops as soon as it up shifts. is there anything i can do to eliminate the drone issue or is it something id have to get used to living with? Ive added some sound links as well let me know what you guys think

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

very nice, congrats, I love my rpi on my 535. my car sounds mean
RPI FTW
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry9020 View Post
Whats up guys i finally got a chance to install my RPI mufflers on my 550i. The car looks and sounds amazing. As you can see from the pictures they cut the stock mufflers before the bends added a small piping and welded the mufflers on. overall i love the exhaust its quiet during cruising speeds and loud when im driving fast. My only complain is when im driving at crusing speeds and i slowly gas it theres a lot of drone around 2,000 rpm which stops as soon as it up shifts. is there anything i can do to eliminate the drone issue or is it something id have to get used to living with? Ive added some sound links as well let me know what you guys think

Did you get those off the forums? Or buy the M5 mufflers and have them modified to work on the 550?

Looks and sounds great, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT
Quote:

Did you get those off the forums? Or buy the M5 mufflers and have them modified to work on the 550?

no need to modify really, my 535 has the exhaust intended for an f10 M6. the piping lined up perfectly, just had to adapt the inlet if the exhaust (3") to the stick (2.25")
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA View Post
RPI FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackGT View Post

I bought these directly from rpi but it was actually more difficult to install on my car over a 535 due to the curves on the piping, u can see it in the first picture how the exhaust curves to the left and right instead of it just being straight, they had to find piping that would fit onto the curves and weld it on the exhaust. after that it was a breeze
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry9020
Quote:
RPI FTW
Quote:

I bought these directly from rpi but it was actually more difficult to install on my car over a 535 due to the curves on the piping, u can see it in the first picture how the exhaust curves to the left and right instead of it just being straight, they had to find piping that would fit onto the curves and weld it on the exhaust. after that it was a breeze
you'd be surprised, the 535 exhaust curves the exact same way
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Im just going off from what the guys at the shop told me because another member from the forums recommended me to the shop cuz he has the mufflers on his 535 installed from the same shop and they told me his only issue was the piping diameter (2.25 to 3") like you had said.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry9020
Quote:

Im just going off from what the guys at the shop told me because another member from the forums recommended me to the shop cuz he has the mufflers on his 535 installed from the same shop and they told me his only issue was the piping diameter (2.25 to 3") like you had said.
exactly, that was my bigger issue was the diameter change. the shop I went to had a curved piece of 3" piping they cut and adapted to fit my rpi, worked out pretty nicely, they did have to cut off the flange that the rpi comes with though
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Nice! I spoke to RPI about possibly having them work on my 550. Thanks for the info guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #10
Sgirgiss1214
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 535I M sport

Best exhaust for the F10 hands down, the tone and exhaust note these mufflers make on the N55 is perfect, Way above expectations and nothing but compliments, highly recomended! Car sounds awesome btw Barry!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Nice. 535's have the same funky piping so the left always has a better curve and the right is more angled. Regarding drone, short answer, there's not much you can do to eliminate this unless you have a j-pipe or Helmholtz chamber welded on. This can be purchased in varying lengths depending on your setup. From what I've heard, this works well. You can, however, decrease the vibration in the cabin by using insulation inside your trunk space/battery area. That's what I did to my wife's and my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Barry just curious were these the M6 or M5 mufflers you purchased? RPI says the M6 mufflers fit the 550, not the M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Barry just curious were these the M6 or M5 mufflers you purchased? RPI says the M6 mufflers fit the 550, not the M5.
it may have been the m6 mufflers, I have the m6 axle back on my car. I was actually the beta tester rpi wasn't sure they would fit, so I tried them
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it may have been the m6 mufflers, I have the m6 axle back on my car. I was actually the beta tester rpi wasn't sure they would fit, so I tried them
Yeah that's what they told me too. I'm wondering if this applies to all M6 mufflers? Problem is the GT shares so much with the F01 that I'm wondering if the muffler piping between the F10 and the F07 GT are the same, even though when looking under both cars they look identical.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #15
Barry9020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's what they told me too. I'm wondering if this applies to all M6 mufflers? Problem is the GT shares so much with the F01 that I'm wondering if the muffler piping between the F10 and the F07 GT are the same, even though when looking under both cars they look identical.
im not 100% sure but i think i remember the invoice saying m5 rpi gt mufflers, i could be wrong though, i would just listen to PJinCA it was cuz of his thread and friendly advice of other members i purchased the mufflers! you should just send rpi the picture i have posted of them welding the mufflers on maybe they will be able to tell you based of the picture! btw hows your new GT treating ya so far? looks beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 01:35 AM   #16
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
im not 100% sure but i think i remember the invoice saying m5 rpi gt mufflers, i could be wrong though, i would just listen to PJinCA it was cuz of his thread and friendly advice of other members i purchased the mufflers! you should just send rpi the picture i have posted of them welding the mufflers on maybe they will be able to tell you based of the picture! btw hows your new GT treating ya so far? looks beautiful!
Thanks man, love the new one so far, but just too damn quiet for me, especially after having the custom exhaust on the old one for so long.

I have my downpipes and a custom 3" free-flow mid section made and sitting here at home, I'm just figuring out what to do rear-section wise. I'm debating whether to throw on some mufflers like the RPI or just straight pipe it with some 4" quad tips, like the Turner-style muffler deletes. Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #17
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks man, love the new one so far, but just too damn quiet for me, especially after having the custom exhaust on the old one for so long.

I have my downpipes and a custom 3" free-flow mid section made and sitting here at home, I'm just figuring out what to do rear-section wise. I'm debating whether to throw on some mufflers like the RPI or just straight pipe it with some 4" quad tips, like the Turner-style muffler deletes. Hmm...
definitely go with rpi, your car should sound as badass as it looks. straight pipe seems like a good idea until you have to live with it everyday. the rpi gives a nice and aggressive exhaust note without driving you crazy
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinCA
Quote:
Quote:

definitely go with rpi, your car should sound as badass as it looks. straight pipe seems like a good idea until you have to live with it everyday. the rpi gives a nice and aggressive exhaust note without driving you crazy
the GT is more a weekend/show car than anything, and I prefer more noise. i had all my mufflers/resonators removed on the last car and it still wasn't overbearingly loud for me, especially compared to some ///M cars i heard. so noise is not an issue. all comes down to what's the best deal/option for me
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:42 AM   #19
delje08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 13 550i, 04 545i

@Barry9020 i added an x-pipe by replacing the resonator. That eliminated the drone at 2k rpm.
Appreciate 0