2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum extended warranty and maintenance

09-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
valcor535
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535I X-Drive

extended warranty and maintenance

I got my new 535Xi about a month ago; I am very pleased with the vehicle; I was reading about the platinum extended warranty and the extended service maintenance programs, both together we are talking over $6000.00 ; my question is for the forum as follow, I am planning in keeping the vehicle for arround 5 to 6 years; in your experience is it worth the investment to buy one or the other or both of these programs? it is my first BMW I have had Mercedes Benz before and never had a major problems with them beside regular maintenance . Please advice.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcor535 View Post
I got my new 535Xi about a month ago; I am very pleased with the vehicle; I was reading about the platinum extended warranty and the extended service maintenance programs, both together we are talking over $6000.00 ; my question is for the forum as follow, I am planning in keeping the vehicle for arround 5 to 6 years; in your experience is it worth the investment to buy one or the other or both of these programs? it is my first BMW I have had Mercedes Benz before and never had a major problems with them beside regular maintenance . Please advice.

Thanks
I wouldn't buy it now. Wait till the exisiting is alway over. They normally will send you letter notice to ask if you want to get it. You can decide then.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

fwiw, I've owned both Mercedes and BMW and never had problems with Mercedes, but did with BMW. Ironically I had bought an extended warranty with one of the Mercs but not with any of the BMWs I've owned.

I'm not saying that a BMW will go bad over a Merc. It seems to depend on each sample. I've had good and bad specimens of all brands. Cars are more complex these days and repair costs are higher, so it makes you think more about warranties than in the past.

It's a gamble. But since the extended warranties are profitable, then the odds of something going wrong is probably not in your favor. Think of it as insurance. If I were to choose again, I'd probably just stick that amount into an interest bearing account and use it as my 'repair fund.' Again, it's a gamble.

Can't you wait until right before the original factory warranty is up before you decide to buy an extended warranty? At least you might know by then if the car is or isn't a good candidate for an extended warranty (i.e., seems reliable or not.)

I wouldn't buy the extended maintenance but just extend the factory warranty instead. There isn't a lot of maintenance required and you can DIY a lot of it. btw, an extended warranty on a current Merc (E Class, S Class) is right around $6k MSRP for a 7/100k extended. And that's without maintenance. Motivated dealers will sell the extended factory warranty for less than MSRP, so be sure to shop around.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Hey, it is like gambling. I got whatever they had. Just let something happen the car is going right back to them! I too plan on keeping the car 6 years or more. So I figure I'm covered till then. I believe if you wait to get warranty protection it will cost you more. Well that's the line they gave me. Also if they throw a price at you try to negotiate it. Hey, can't hurt. They are slick with that BS. There doesn't seem to be a set price for those "extras". They want to make money & you should want to save some. Be warned!

Last edited by Bmrmeup; 09-01-2011 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
hemanav
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

I'm considering it, shopping around, have found out that it is cheaper to buy early than later, more years and miles you'll pay more
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
keeping the car 5-6 years? So you would basically be paying $6000 for 1-2 years of coverage. Thats a complete waste.

You have to think of these things this way...these warranties are meant to make the dealers/underwriters money, so the consumer as a whole gets the short end of the stick. You will most likely lose on this deal, or there is a small chance you will make out. But for 1-2 years, you will most likely lose

Its luck of the draw. Unlike stickypaws, my e46 only needed oil changes and routine maintenance, so some years I only spend $75 for an oil change. Most reliable car I ever owned. My Merc on the other hand is quite the opposite, so you just never know.
Appreciate 0