2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 530d Msport one month and 2500 miles in

06-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

F11 530d Msport one month and 2500 miles in

So after getting to know my new Beemer here's my take;

Spec;
Imperial blue
Alcantara / cloth
19" 351's
USB
12 volt sockets
MFID
Visibility pack
Sport auto

On the face of it a bit of a mean spec, having seen fully toyed up 520d's in the showroom for more than mine ended up costing I canned some extras for the bigger 6 cylinder engine.no regrets at all, coming from an e91 330i 272 bhp screamer I am mightily impressed with its diesel counterpart with effortless performance decent mpg 35-50 depending on mood / road and crucially to me as someone who hates air con and loves full windows down air the noise is in a different league from the 20d although I have to say I can see why the 2.0 d makes such a compelling overall package in this segment. My car came with good years which I have not seen before in run flats and don't seem to have the outright grip of Michelin and Bridgestone run flats I have had in the past which isn't necessarily a bad thing for fun although there is no denying the weight of this car vs a smaller more nimble 3 series type choice. I love the comfort, smoothness, steering not the best but not so bad. Multi function display panel awesome and 8 speed lwith paddles extreme,y good from someone who dislikes auto gearboxes. All in all really love this car and very happy indeed
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Good, glad you are enjoying it.
What do you think of the ride / handling as you have the same set up as me with 19" on passive msport suspensions.

I agree with you on the 530d, it converted me away from petrol (e39 530i) and impressed with its smoothness and effortless grunt.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Good question
Personal preference I think, I like hard suspension and for me the MS and 19" set up is spot on, I can understand some may find it wearing and yes it can be harsh over potholes and can dkip sideways on bumpy corners but it works for me and is nowhere near as harsh as some s line audi's which really do shake your teeth !
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

you've highlighted something I've noticed , you say 'skips on bumpy corners'
I've noticed that as well, it feels like its sliding sideways, ever so slightly I hasten to add, but noticeable none the less.
I also find it tramlines as well and it seems sensitive to the condition of the road. Even road markings can be noticeable on occasions.
On good roads, it feels fine but I do think it loses it composure around town, particularly on the bad roads that we have in the UK.

If I'm honest , it could be better, my previous E39 msport on 18" mparallels was a slight firmer ride but felt so much more composed. I've no doubt the run flat tyres are probably responsible for a large part of that.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I do agree with your observations, out of interest how old are your tyres ? With previous msport / run flat set ups I have noticed these traits soften up with the bushes and wear on the outside tyre edges.....or is it just me adjusting the car !
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Good to see another "very happy" F11 user.

The ride and RFT feel was something I was very critical of when test driving examples of the F10/11. The reason I wanted Adaptive Drive and to keep wheels to a sensible size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
you've highlighted something I've noticed , you say 'skips on bumpy corners'
I've noticed that as well, it feels like its sliding sideways, ever so slightly I hasten to add, but noticeable none the less.
I also find it tramlines as well and it seems sensitive to the condition of the road. Even road markings can be noticeable on occasions.
On good roads, it feels fine but I do think it loses it composure around town, particularly on the bad roads that we have in the UK.

If I'm honest , it could be better, my previous E39 msport on 18" mparallels was a slight firmer ride but felt so much more composed. I've no doubt the run flat tyres are probably responsible for a large part of that.
The skipping sideways is a RFT trait, pleased to say I don't get that on my 18" wheel setup.

I can compare to my old E39 touring which was on M-Tech suspension and 17" wheels. The F11 with Adaptive Drive compares to that in ride quality and general composure. In fact better at low speeds and in town. Well sorted and copes well with poor surfaces. No skipping, tramlining or corruption from road markings, etc.

Comments do show these cars are still very sensitive to suspension and wheel combinations, particularly when we get off of decent surfaces.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
I do agree with your observations, out of interest how old are your tyres ? With previous msport / run flat set ups I have noticed these traits soften up with the bushes and wear on the outside tyre edges.....or is it just me adjusting the car !
My car is just over a year with 7000 miles on.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have just driven long journey in the dark and the visibility pack is just amazing, in a different league to any other road illumination I have seen ( well, apart from the Audi's down the Mulsanne at Lemans ). The LCI LED's must be even better - I would strongly advise anyone speccing a car or buying a used F 10/11 to get Xenon / LED adaptive auto etc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

I've not experienced the LED lights so not sure from just the lighting point of view if they are better or if its case of just being new technology. (New technology when it intially comes out is not necessairily better). Certianly the adaptive side of it looks more intelligent and is an improvement.
Whether the quality of the LED lights is 'better' than xenon , well wait to see.
I'm not sure if teh reach of the lights are the same, worse or better than xenon. The colour temperature looks similar (not to be confused with brightness) , just becuase it is whiter doesn't mean its brighter.

Certianly worth looking at and like adaptive xenons, you really only get the benefit on dark unlit and twisty roads. Around town and on the motorway, the adaptive is not really noticeable , at least to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Fully agree round town but do come into their own on dark twisty roads. The cabin is a lovely place to be in the dark that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

I am awaiting my LCI F10 535d (with Adaptive LED), so should be able to write about the difference. My current F10 has the Adaptive Xenons.

I have to say that the F10 Xenons are very good compared to a lot of cars. I have a 2009 E92 330 with Xenons as well; but the F10 Xenons are way better.

Having read a few (there aren't many) reviews of the Adaptive LEDs, it seems anyone who has them has definitely recommended the LED....

Let's see once the machine turns up...
      06-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
I am awaiting my LCI F10 535d (with Adaptive LED), so should be able to write about the difference. My current F10 has the Adaptive Xenons.

I have to say that the F10 Xenons are very good compared to a lot of cars. I have a 2009 E92 330 with Xenons as well; but the F10 Xenons are way better.

Having read a few (there aren't many) reviews of the Adaptive LEDs, it seems anyone who has them has definitely recommended the LED....

Let's see once the machine turns up...
I look forward to the review!
I'll be interested in obviously the adaptive LEDs and also what you think about the steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I look forward to the review!
I'll be interested in obviously the adaptive LEDs and also what you think about the steering.
It'll be a while before the review.

I have arranged that the car be built in Week 30 (late-July) and the car should be in UK by 3rd week Aug. Since, its only another week for the new 63 Reg, I will likely collect the car in Sep 1st week.

I'll write something up soon after...