2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 550i needs new Engine 95k miles

01-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
sj_carr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i MSport

2011 550i needs new Engine 95k miles

Dealer tells me I need a new engine - metal shards in the oil. Took it in for running rough, in the past that was due to blocked injectors.
Had the CCP done one year ago. I think the injectors were replaced three times over the life of the car.

Dealer working with BMW NA - no news yet.

Last edited by sj_carr; 01-06-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

I'm very sorry to hear that. Hope it works out alright.

You may have swayed me to get the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_carr
Dealer tells me I need a new engine - metal shards in the oil. Took it in for running rough, in the past that was due to blocked injectors.
Had the CCP done one year ago. I think the injectors were replaced three times over the life of the car.

Dealer working with BMW NA - no news yet.
I'm sorry to hear that. Keep us updated!
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

This engine has been such a disappointment - so many issues... I wonder why BMW has found it so challenging to make a good TT V8. Audi has done a great job from the start with their 4.0 TFSI.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Metal shards in oil? That sounds like rod bearings. Did they say what caused it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Please do report back what you learn.

Particularly sorry to see it happen to a MT - there are so few of them!

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
sj_carr
United_States
Rep

A new engine is around $32,000, and BMW has offered to pay 50-50% - but that still leaves me paying $16,000. The car is really only worth 20-25 with that many miles. I asked them to take their contribution and give me a credit on something else.
      01-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
mragarg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_carr
A new engine is around $32,000, and BMW has offered to pay 50-50% - but that still leaves me paying $16,000. The car is really only worth 20-25 with that many miles. I asked them to take their contribution and give me a credit on something else.
Did you talk to the dealer or BLW NA? Because you should complain the engine has many problems and they should cover for the whole thing.
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL
2014 BMW 550i
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
sj_carr
United_States
Rep

So far only the dealer - BMW NA is next
      01-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #10
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_carr View Post
oh man wtf !? Im sorry to hear, there is no way I can get stuck with a 16k bill for a new shitty engine ... please keep us updated as to what they say about the credit or what you end up doing. Im guessing you dont have a 3rd party warranty ? I've always said I wouldnt own my 550i outside any warranty.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
This engine has been such a disappointment - so many issues... I wonder why BMW has found it so challenging to make a good TT V8. Audi has done a great job from the start with their 4.0 TFSI.
In general BMW V8 engines have been a big disaster, for example famous valve stem issues started with M62 in 1996 then continued to N62 then to N63. BMW never really fixed that issue just added more stuff to break like double-VANOS, valvetronic, turbos, etc. Very sad story
Please keep is updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #12
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I would speak with an attorney who specializes in lemon law cases before communicating further with the dealer or BMW NA. The basic premise here is that if BMW attempts to fix a defect under warranty and the repair does not work for a reasonable time period (1 year?), then expiration of the warranty does not relieve the manufacturer of responsibility. This assumes the injectors were replaced under warranty and the current engine failure is related to the injectors. BMW may try to blame the failure on maintenance neglect, abuse of the vehicle, or claim it is unrelated to previous repairs. But courts are fairly sympathetic to consumers in these instances, so they will likely settle with something more favorable than splitting the cost of a new engine.

I am not an attorney, but two experiences with lemons (VW and Volvo) taught me to ignore dealer BS, seek remedies from the manufacturer, and not hesitate to engage counsel.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
RoyalX916
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i and 2004 545i

I own a 2011 n63 and I have had an oil leak before I even hit 40k miles.
Still have warranty and what not but this still worries me for the future.
Hope it all works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I agree BMW V8 is POS
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #15
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

No bueno... but not surprising. For all the potential in the N63, we got the short of the stick on this one. I will go I6 with the next BMW that I get, no doubt.
      01-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

What caused them to conclude you need an engine replacement???
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #17
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Sorry to hear this. BMW's V8's, while alluring, aren't their bread-and-butter... not by a long shot. Thankfully, mine has been trouble free in the two years I've owned it. But I went into this one expecting I may not keep it for as long as I have previous (I6) BMWs. Then again, people complained vigorously about issues with the N54, and I had mine 6.5 years, put 87k miles on it, and never had a single engine related issue. So who knows - maybe I've been lucky.

The N63 has had its share of issues, but at the same time, your car is now at 95k miles. That's not to say it should blow up - even the cheapest of engines do 95k miles without considerable issue - but it IS to say you may have a hard time convincing someone it's a manufacturer issue. Stuff DOES break, unfortunately, and sometimes detrimentally as it may have here. But, in another way, you have a warranty for a reason, too - the manufacturer will stand behind the product from defect for that time period. At nearly twice the warranty length, it's admittedly much harder to hold it against the manufacturer - after all, they haven't warrantied the engine beyond 50,000 miles, and this one is now at 95,000. From that perspective, the old adage is in play - hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Sorry to play devil's advocate here. As much as it's a terrible situation, and BMW should be ashamed with all of the issues with the N63, in another way I have a hard time legally faulting them. The warranty is the warranty - and we, as consumers, all want them to honor it when it's in our best interest; however, unless the failure here has something to do with an issue that was legitimately being treated under warranty 45k+ miles ago, I'd say BMW is already doing the OP a favor offering to split the cost 50/50. Otherwise, where is the line drawn for an engine issue? 150k miles? 200k miles? 300k miles? And is a warranty, part of a legally binding contract, meaningless? Or is it only the consumer who can cry foul and sue the manufacturer to back the product outside of the warranty, or is it legitimate then for the manufacturer to change the terms of the warranty after purchase and shorten it?

We've come to expect that a solid German engine should last these lengths, but the fact remains that the warranty is still for 50,000. Shame on BMW's engineering, perhaps... or perhaps it's just some bad luck in this case. But legally speaking, I'd tend to air on the side of the warranty terms to be fair; unless, as I said, there's some evidence that this issue was in play 45k+ miles ago while under warranty.

Now, all of that said, they may still do something more for the OP. But I'd consider that good will - not an obligation. It's also important to keep in mind another old adage - which is, there's no more expensive car to own than an old German car. These were $70k - $85k+ cars new (I paid ~$86k for my 550xi new two years ago). But we tend to forget that when they're trading on a second-hand market because they've considerably depreciated. While cars depreciate, the cost of parts and maintenance don't - in fact, they go up. So, if you're driving around in an $80k car well outside of warranty, while you hope for the best, you do need to plan for major failures (engine and transmission being the biggies) biting you - either able and willing to pay out of pocket or covering yourself with a warranty. If you do neither, then you're gambling, and that can end badly.

Best of luck in the resolution. BMW is usually pretty reasonable. So, if you go about it professionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they show you some generous good-will here.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #18
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Sorry to hear this. BMW's V8's, while alluring, aren't their bread-and-butter... not by a long shot. Thankfully, mine has been trouble free in the two years I've owned it. But I went into this one expecting I may not keep it for as long as I have previous (I6) BMWs. Then again, people complained vigorously about issues with the N54, and I had mine 6.5 years, put 87k miles on it, and never had a single engine related issue. So who knows - maybe I've been lucky.

The N63 has had its share of issues, but at the same time, your car is now at 95k miles. That's not to say it should blow up - even the cheapest of engines do 95k miles without considerable issue - but it IS to say you may have a hard time convincing someone it's a manufacturer issue. Stuff DOES break, unfortunately, and sometimes detrimentally as it may have here. But, in another way, you have a warranty for a reason, too - the manufacturer will stand behind the product from defect for that time period. At nearly twice the warranty length, it's admittedly much harder to hold it against the manufacturer - after all, they haven't warrantied the engine beyond 50,000 miles, and this one is now at 95,000. From that perspective, the old adage is in play - hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Sorry to play devil's advocate here. As much as it's a terrible situation, and BMW should be ashamed with all of the issues with the N63, in another way I have a hard time legally faulting them. The warranty is the warranty - and we, as consumers, all want them to honor it when it's in our best interest; however, unless the failure here has something to do with an issue that was legitimately being treated under warranty 45k+ miles ago, I'd say BMW is already doing the OP a favor offering to split the cost 50/50. Otherwise, where is the line drawn for an engine issue? 150k miles? 200k miles? 300k miles? And is a warranty, part of a legally binding contract, meaningless? Or is it only the consumer who can cry foul and sue the manufacturer to back the product outside of the warranty, or is it legitimate then for the manufacturer to change the terms of the warranty after purchase and shorten it?

We've come to expect that a solid German engine should last these lengths, but the fact remains that the warranty is still for 50,000. Shame on BMW's engineering, perhaps... or perhaps it's just some bad luck in this case. But legally speaking, I'd tend to air on the side of the warranty terms to be fair; unless, as I said, there's some evidence that this issue was in play 45k+ miles ago while under warranty.

Now, all of that said, they may still do something more for the OP. But I'd consider that good will - not an obligation. It's also important to keep in mind another old adage - which is, there's no more expensive car to own than an old German car. These were $70k - $85k+ cars new (I paid ~$86k for my 550xi new two years ago). But we tend to forget that when they're trading on a second-hand market because they've considerably depreciated. While cars depreciate, the cost of parts and maintenance don't - in fact, they go up. So, if you're driving around in an $80k car well outside of warranty, while you hope for the best, you do need to plan for major failures (engine and transmission being the biggies) biting you - either able and willing to pay out of pocket or covering yourself with a warranty. If you do neither, then you're gambling, and that can end badly.

Best of luck in the resolution. BMW is usually pretty reasonable. So, if you go about it professionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they show you some generous good-will here.
I disagree.

It was determined early on that this engine was problematic. Sure BMW attempted to rectify this situation with the CCP, but that isn't a solution, it's more of a deterrent because the problem eventually returns. On top of that, it was never disclosed to me by BMW when I purchased my CPO '11 550 that the N63 had these issues. If that were the case, I never would've purchased my '11 550i. They shouldn't have permitted the resell of the N63 or certified them as CPO.

My family's 1998 Honda Accord had 275,000 miles on it when we sold it, the only thing that we ever worried about was a couple of window regulators, the water pump, and a transmission rebuild at around 210,000 miles. You can't justify that a now, "manufacturer-known" problematic $86,000 car, has paid for itself with only 95,000 miles on the odo.

These issues are a result of faulty design and the consumer should not be responsible for it. If anything like this comes up with my car, I will not go down without a fight and with the well documented SIB record of issues ranging from batteries, injectors, coils, plugs, maf sensors, and fuel pump related to the N63 alone combined with records of recommended maintenance completed, it would be hard to lose.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #19
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

While the OP's situation sucks I agree that ezmaass gave a thoughtful & mature response. There doesn't appear to be misrepresentation by BMW and the terms of the sale are pretty clear, you're on the hook for anything past your warranted mileage. BMW never claimed these cars would make it past any particular mileage.

This seems like a very generous offer from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #20
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Sounds to me as though the dealer is just trying to give him a break on the cost of the engine. In general dealer cost on parts is probably in this range. Would like to see what BMW will do for him but at the end of the day while this is upsetting I don't think BMW can be held liable for this. If they offer help it is definitely a goodwill situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #21
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Pffffft I smell a 550 burning in the everglades, insurance claim!!! Just kidding, but really tho burn that shit!!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 09:42 PM   #22
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK2BLN View Post
I disagree.

It was determined early on that this engine was problematic. Sure BMW attempted to rectify this situation with the CCP, but that isn't a solution, it's more of a deterrent because the problem eventually returns. On top of that, it was never disclosed to me by BMW when I purchased my CPO '11 550 that the N63 had these issues. If that were the case, I never would've purchased my '11 550i. They shouldn't have permitted the resell of the N63 or certified them as CPO.

My family's 1998 Honda Accord had 275,000 miles on it when we sold it, the only thing that we ever worried about was a couple of window regulators, the water pump, and a transmission rebuild at around 210,000 miles. You can't justify that a now, "manufacturer-known" problematic $86,000 car, has paid for itself with only 95,000 miles on the odo.

These issues are a result of faulty design and the consumer should not be responsible for it. If anything like this comes up with my car, I will not go down without a fight and with the well documented SIB record of issues ranging from batteries, injectors, coils, plugs, maf sensors, and fuel pump related to the N63 alone combined with records of recommended maintenance completed, it would be hard to lose.
Yes, some engines are more problematic than others. And BMW has a 50,000 mile warranty to deal with those problems on their dime if and when they occur, correct? If there's a faulty part, and it was repaired under warranty, and the problem then reoccurred and caused the engine to "blow" - then maybe there's a claim about faulty design. But if the issue here is simply a disastrous event, unrelated to any pre-existing (during warranty) situation, then I don't think BMW is at all liable, and anything they offer is simply good-will.

Regarding your particular CPO '11 550, why would you be under the impression that BMW owes you some kind of "disclosure" before purchase? You're free to do your homework, including sources like Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc., and make a decision about its reliability prior to purchase. BMW's interest is in selling the car. And if you're buying CPO, they're again warrantying the car.

BMW is giving you a 50,000 mile warranty - that's it. No other promises, no secret handshakes, no wink of an eye... a warranty - that's it. And that's the same for all manufacturers. Any reliability you experience beyond their warranty is your good fortune, and if you're going into ownership of an expensive German luxury car after it's warranty ends EXPECTING good fortune, then best of luck to you.

I've been driving BMWs for 15+ years now, and I've never had a detrimental mechanical problem with one of them - and I drove them, on average, to around 100k miles. So, I might begin to "expect" a certain level of reliability from my BMWs. But legally speaking, a reputation and past performance don't replace a contract. If my BMW's engine blows up at 95k miles, and my past BMWs were completely trouble-free well past this mileage, is BMW somehow liable and responsible? No, unless potentially the origin of the issue began while under warranty... and while possible, I'll admit it seems unlikely since 45k miles have passed since the end of warranty.

Your Honda Accord may have lasted 275k miles without many issues, and that's great. But with all due respect, this isn't a Honda Accord. It's an expensive luxury car with technology that's pushing the envelope, and with that comes additional maintenance cost and risk. You can't compare it to a 1998 Honda Accord. My R8 has magnetic shocks, and when they go bad (and they're known to in as little as 10k miles), they cost around $8k - $9k to replace. Should I complain because my BMW's shocks cost a small fraction of that and last routinely for 50k miles? No - apples and oranges. You need to assume the risks of maintenance when you buy something - whether a car, house, boat, what-have-you. The more expensive the investment, it's a good chance the maintenance costs will be higher, and the bigger your risk is if something goes "poof." If you can't afford that risk, then you either (a) don't buy it or (b) ensure you're covered with a warranty.

In general, BMW's V8 engines have been some of the most costly to maintain, and they're historically some of the most troubled. This isn't new with the N63 - there's a reason why the inline-6 is known as their bread-and-butter. But, in their defense, I'd also say they're not bad as far as luxury brands go. Want truly troubled? Try owning a Land Rover. And yet so many people, despite the reputation of mechanical issues, continue to do so - a trade-off for owning a vehicle, that when it DOES work properly, can do things like no other. But if someone's goals were pure reliability, I'd never direct them towards BMW... nor nearly any German luxury brand, since the brand's primary mission is sporting performance, innovation, luxury, and technology... and if they can make it all decently reliable at the same time, great, but reliability has never been the hallmark like it is with mainstream Japanese brands.

All said, I'd say it's anomalous for ANY BMW engine to blow up at 95k miles, and it's true that the N63 has had its fair share of problems. But, as I said, unless this event was somehow directly related to an issue that stemmed back to a time when the car was under warranty, even if the engine's overall track records is poor, a contract's a contract, and I don't believe BMW has any liability here. I'll maintain, if you're driving around with a BMW V8 at 95k miles, outside of any warranty coverage, you need to plan for the worst - as sometimes "the worst" actually happens.
Appreciate 0