2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum F07 Diagnostic Module for Tank Leakage -no signal to DME

01-04-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
onthelevel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i GT

F07 Diagnostic Module for Tank Leakage -no signal to DME

Having an issue with the DMTL not communicating with the DME. Result is a persistent SES. Tried replacing the DMTL twice to no avail. So, now trying to figure out the wiring between the DMTL and the DME. Obtained a wiring diagram from the dealer based on my VIN but the wiring diagram does not match the actual build. Wiring diagram shows 4 wires coming into the DMTL, 1 to a fuse carrier and 3 to the DME. The actual build has only two wires coming from the DMTL even though the DMTL has a 3 contact male pinout. I sure could use some help to get either a correct wiring diagram or some suggestions on where to look next. I have no other symptoms of a problem except the SES. Car runs great. I can post the wiring diagram from the dealer if that will help
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:25 PM   #2
onthelevel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i GT

no replies............decided to use "justask" and got a good answer from a BMW expert. He said my car was made during a time when the leak sensor system switched between a DMTL system and an NLVD system. Not sure which is the new and which is the old but mine is NLVD even though the VIN specific wiring diagram shows DMTL. He sent me the NLVD wiring diagram which shows the sensor as a separate unit from the pump that pressurizes the tank for sensing a leak. Sensor is mounted on top of the fuel pump located under the left side rear passenger seat. I can buy a replacement sensor from parts dealers (e.g., ECS Tuning, pn 16137333588) but the BMW dealer will not sell the stand alone sensor. They will only sell the entire fuel pump which includes the sensor. I know the fuel pump was a recall item in older F07 models but not the 2016. Not sure if BMW is just greedy and wants to sell more expensive parts or if there is something still fundamentally wrong with the fuel pump and therefore they won't sell only the sensor. Anyway, I have a lead on how to fix the problem. Hopefully it is a bad sensor and not an open circuit in the main wiring harness. I'll post an update after I learn more since no one seems to know much about all this.
Appreciate 0