2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N55/Performance Mods

01-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

N55/Performance Mods

FYI I am a noob at everything when it comes to the modding realm, please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Hi! I finally bought my own F10 and was wondering what mods to put on it performancewise, I looked at basic performance chips & turbos and superchargers but they just dont add enough power for it to be fast enough for me, Ive searched around and I know that certain mods when combined will make quite a powerful vehicle, My question is what mods are the best for making it fast?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

If you were that interested in speed, you should have bought a 550 or an M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Nokoa
Rep
Drives: 2014 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
A 535 has plenty of power and speed. This reply is too funny....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
A 535 has plenty of power and speed. This reply is too funny....
agreed. I can get in plenty of trouble w my N55. Yes N63 is faster but the N55 is no slouch.
      01-08-2015, 12:29 AM   #5
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

You may want to look into this and talk to the vendor's reps or local partners:
http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html
http://burgertuning.com/N55_JB4_F_ch...BMW_tuner.html

Besides the engine tune you can also consider upgrading intake, downpipes, exhaust, and then have some suspension upgrades (sport springs, brakes etc.) and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:23 AM   #6
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

So far I have
  • JB4 Stage 2 with Flex Fuel Wires running 50/50 E85/93 on Map 5
  • Intake
  • ER Competition Downpipe
  • Muffler Delete
  • ER Charge Pipe and BMS 2.3gal Meth kit on order

With just the mods I have, I'm able to keep up with almost anything on the road. I don't race from stoplight to stoplight, as I'm more concerned with tire shine slinging off onto my paint or gathering more brake dust than necessary, but for those times I need the extra power it is all there. My neighbor has a 550/6 which Im able to keep up with just fine but for all the $$ and effort it takes to approach or attain similar power figures to a 550, I could've easily have opted for one or waited a while longer to get an M5. If you want enough power keep the 535 stock as it does its job pretty well. If you want noticeable gains in power look into the mods I listed above. Trust me, you won't regret it! If you want an overkill so to speak and you had the means/resources, look into catless downpipes and BMS tunes for the 550. The power figures are simply magnificent. And if you want the ultimate power.. well....you know what to get
      01-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
So far I have
  • Intake
  • Muffler Delete

With just the mods I have, I'm able to keep up with almost anything on the road. I don't race from stoplight to stoplight, as I'm more concerned with tire shine slinging off onto my paint or gathering more brake dust than necessary, but for those times I need the extra power it is all there. My neighbor has a 550/6 which Im able to keep up with just fine but for all the $$ and effort it takes to approach or attain similar power figures to a 550, I could've easily have opted for one or waited a while longer to get an M5. If you want enough power keep the 535 stock as it does its job pretty well. If you want noticeable gains in power look into the mods I listed above. Trust me, you won't regret it! If you want an overkill so to speak and you had the means/resources, look into catless downpipes and BMS tunes for the 550. The power figures are simply magnificent. And if you want the ultimate power.. well....you know what to get
First thanks for the helpful reply I really appreciate it!, Second, will I be able to keep up with a 300 SRT? Cause this dude around where I live has one and keeps taunting me. Doesn't matter very much if I cant keep up even after the mods but It could be fun if I can .
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post
First thanks for the helpful reply I really appreciate it!, Second, will I be able to keep up with a 300 SRT? Cause this dude around where I live has one and keeps taunting me. Doesn't matter very much if I cant keep up even after the mods but It could be fun if I can .
Lol. Your welcome. Since I had my mods installed Ive been pressured into "showing what I've got" to a couple camaros, 335s, an e55 and e63 AMG, a 535, a 550 an M5 (F10) a dodge charger srt, an SRT-8 jeep and even a 458 italia. Of course I don't expect you to believe me on the last one but I have video evidence to prove it. Unfortunately, I won't upload the video online due to the potential for it to circulate and cause issues for both myself and the ferrari's driver . With the exception of the Ferrari 458 I was able to keep up with the other cars just fine. Boost comes in strong at 3k rpm and very strong around 4K RPM all the way to redline. I never felt I was in a situation where I needed the car to be faster as its already fast enough for me and for the road. The biggest issue I have now however, is that I find the car is too fast for the roads here in NY especially considering our speed limit has been lowered on local streets to 25mph and the highway speed is strictly enforced by Highway patrol units. I find it very difficult to contain my speed to 25mph on local streets or 50mph on the highway. On a highway on ramp I can easily hit 80mph so to keep my speed in check I have the speed warning activated when I surpass 45mph for the highway and 25 mph for the city. I believe that with a JB4 stage 2, DP, Intake, FF wires and a e85/93 mix you will easily fulfill your desire for more reliable power.
      01-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
hp jnkey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i M-Tech

Quote:
So far I have
  • Intake
  • Muffler Delete

Which Jb4 pigtail connector does the 535 N55 use, the Type A or Type B?

Your car must haul with all those mods.

I'm real close to getting a 2013 Msport 535, will definitely be installing a JB4.

I have one in my 2008 535, it runs great.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Lol. Your welcome. Since I had my mods installed Ive been pressured into "showing what I've got" to a couple camaros, 335s, an e55 and e63 AMG, a 535, a 550 an M5 (F10) a dodge charger srt, an SRT-8 jeep and even a 458 italia. Of course I don't expect you to believe me on the last one but I have video evidence to prove it. Unfortunately, I won't upload the video online due to the potential for it to circulate and cause issues for both myself and the ferrari's driver . With the exception of the Ferrari 458 I was able to keep up with the other cars just fine. Boost comes in strong at 3k rpm and very strong around 4K RPM all the way to redline. I never felt I was in a situation where I needed the car to be faster as its already fast enough for me and for the road. The biggest issue I have now however, is that I find the car is too fast for the roads here in NY especially considering our speed limit has been lowered on local streets to 25mph and the highway speed is strictly enforced by Highway patrol units. I find it very difficult to contain my speed to 25mph on local streets or 50mph on the highway. On a highway on ramp I can easily hit 80mph so to keep my speed in check I have the speed warning activated when I surpass 45mph for the highway and 25 mph for the city. I believe that with a JB4 stage 2, DP, Intake, FF wires and a e85/93 mix you will easily fulfill your desire for more reliable power.
Funny, I've never considered racing my 353, lol. An I in the minority?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Lol. Your welcome. Since I had my mods installed Ive been pressured into "showing what I've got" to a couple camaros, 335s, an e55 and e63 AMG, a 535, a 550 an M5 (F10) a dodge charger srt, an SRT-8 jeep and even a 458 italia. Of course I don't expect you to believe me on the last one but I have video evidence to prove it. Unfortunately, I won't upload the video online due to the potential for it to circulate and cause issues for both myself and the ferrari's driver . With the exception of the Ferrari 458 I was able to keep up with the other cars just fine.
Have any Dynos or track slips?
      01-09-2015, 02:11 AM   #12
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Thumbs up 550ix Steinbauer street race and drag videos

This is about N63 but I just want to share it as a proof of concept. I wish everybody who is talking his achievements on street or track would provide as clear confirmation as one of my friend does.
The guy has 550ix with Steinbauer box (by dealer) and sport downpipes, lowered on Eibach. All the rest is stock. There is his amazing collection of 70+ racing videos honestly with both wins and losses http://www.youtube.com/user/naiishiko/videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #13
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
Which Jb4 pigtail connector does the 535 N55 use, the Type A or Type B?

Your car must haul with all those mods.

I'm real close to getting a 2013 Msport 535, will definitely be installing a JB4.

I have one in my 2008 535, it runs great.
I have type B. Look closely on the BMS website and they will tell you in the option menu that most 2011 and some 2012s have type b and the newer 2012 and onwards have type A. I'll try to find the exact location on the BMS website.

Definitely go for the Jb4. The biggest difference you will feel is with greater torque .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Funny, I've never considered racing my 353, lol. An I in the minority?
Lol I guess you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Have any Dynos or track slips?
No not yet. I plan on dyno-ing when the weather warms back up. I hardly drive the car during winter/snowy weather. When I do get the info i'll upload it to my build thread.

To OP: One thing I wanted to add is that the mods and power are reliable. The JB4 can be removed in about 15 minutes without disconnecting the battery (which isn't recommended). To disconnect the battery two plastic/composite bolts that hold down the top portion of the trunk must be removed as well as a couple tabs that will loosen up the storage cubby underneath the trunk's cover. Just disconnect the negative battery cable and tuck it away neatly. I always wrap my cable in a clean lint free cloth to prevent contact with other metal parts of the car.

To install the JB4 stage 2 you will need to do a couple things. The first is to disconnect a series of sensors/plugs from their original location and plug them into the JB4's harness. After plugging them into the jb4s harness you will plug the jb4's harness plugs (which are similar to the OEM plugs) back into the OEM locations. The next is to attach the power and ground wires to locations specified in the BMS install guide. Last is to tap the JB4's CAN wires into the car's CAN wires. Remember a couple things:

+The JB4 harness and its plugs share a progressive design or in laymen's terms the harness' sensors/plugs are located at intervals where the they should be plugged in making it hard to confuse the Map Sensor and TMAP sensors for example.

+If you find that the Jb4's fittings are not snapping into place exactly as the OEM then you need to consider two things; either you have the wrong harness altogether or you have the harness aligned the wrong way.

+Attach the ground wire to the headlight's ground

+Carefully identify and postitap the CAN wires as its easy to mix them up. The BMS guide doesn't show this explicitly as they used pictures from an f30. (This might change if they update the guide but when I installed mine there wasn't an f10 pictured).

+Tuck the JB4 away really good so it wont slide to the corner of the hood risking damage when the hood is shut.

Its important to note that you may or may not receive error codes after the install. If thats the case, read the DME codes via JB4 interface and reset them. Immediately after, read the codes again and if the same codes show up again, either something has not been plugged in/attached correctly or something has been left plugged out. You may experience this with FF wires install and DP install as well. For the FF wire install remember to set the open fuel loop to 50 or you will get the drivetrain malfunction light which wont reset. As for the DP (downpipes) make sure the O2 sensors aren't installed in the wrong order and that there are no leaks at the turbo housing and exhaust locations.

Last edited by Mr Clean; 01-09-2015 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Post video or it didn't happen....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To OP: One thing I wanted to add is that the mods and power are reliable. The JB4 can be removed in about 15 minutes without disconnecting the battery (which isn't recommended). To disconnect the battery two plastic/composite bolts that hold down the top portion of the trunk must be removed as well as a couple tabs that will loosen up the storage cubby underneath the trunk's cover. Just disconnect the negative battery cable and tuck it away neatly. I always wrap my cable in a clean lint free cloth to prevent contact with other metal parts of the car.

To install the JB4 stage 2 you will need to do a couple things. The first is to disconnect a series of sensors/plugs from their original location and plug them into the JB4's harness. After plugging them into the jb4s harness you will plug the jb4's harness plugs (which are similar to the OEM plugs) back into the OEM locations. The next is to attach the power and ground wires to locations specified in the BMS install guide. Last is to tap the JB4's CAN wires into the car's CAN wires. Remember a couple things:

+The JB4 harness and its plugs share a progressive design or in laymen's terms the harness' sensors/plugs are located at intervals where the they should be plugged in making it hard to confuse the Map Sensor and TMAP sensors for example.

+If you find that the Jb4's fittings are not snapping into place exactly as the OEM then you need to consider two things; either you have the wrong harness altogether or you have the harness aligned the wrong way.

+Attach the ground wire to the headlight's ground

+Carefully identify and postitap the CAN wires as its easy to mix them up. The BMS guide doesn't show this explicitly as they used pictures from an f30. (This might change if they update the guide but when I installed mine there wasn't an f10 pictured).

+Tuck the JB4 away really good so it wont slide to the corner of the hood risking damage when the hood is shut.

Its important to note that you may or may not receive error codes after the install. If thats the case, read the DME codes via JB4 interface and reset them. Immediately after, read the codes again and if the same codes show up again, either something has not been plugged in/attached correctly or something has been left plugged out. You may experience this with FF wires install and DP install as well. For the FF wire install remember to set the open fuel loop to 50 or you will get the drivetrain malfunction light which wont reset. As for the DP (downpipes) make sure the O2 sensors aren't installed in the wrong order and that there are no leaks at the turbo housing and exhaust locations.
So you installed all mods yourself? As I said in my original post I'm sort of a noob with modding. Although I'd prefer not going to a mechanic (labor costs). Do you think these mods could be installed by someone who is as inexperienced as I am?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Do your research first. The last JB4 stage two before/after dynos on an otherwise stock N55 I saw yielded a whopping 11 horsepower. Beware of any unsubstantiated claims or anecdotal stories not backed up by hard numbers. You have no idea what the circumstances are. btw, I beat a Bugatti Veyron two weeks ago driving home on PCH. Of course the guy was on his cell phone and flirting with his hot girlfriend while driving slowly and paying no attention whatsover to me.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 01-09-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #17
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Johnson View Post
So you installed all mods yourself? As I said in my original post I'm sort of a noob with modding. Although I'd prefer not going to a mechanic (labor costs). Do you think these mods could be installed by someone who is as inexperienced as I am?
I did everything myself except for the exhaust work. If you take a quick glance at my build thread you will see some of what I had to go through to DIY install my catless downpipe. It is by no means a comprehensive guide , yet. I plan to reinstall my stock DP this spring for emissions inspection and I will make a guide and publish it for the masses. If you decide to get a jb4 and/or downpipe and /or flex fuel wires I'd be more than happy to make a comprehensive video guide for you and send it over via PM. You can also ask me specific questions if you need help along the way via PM. I believe you will be satisfied with your car after you install the mods. A brand new Jb4 stage 2 costs $530, flex fuel wires cost $25 and a brand new VRSF DP costs $400. So with an initial investment of $955 ( a little under a thousand) you can have a good amount of power to satisfy your needs. Of course if you really want more power and have the accessible means, you could always get a 550 or an M5, but Id suggest going in "step wise" motion first and exploring the available mods/options with what you already have.

In closing, its always best to take advice from someone who has "lived it" before you so to speak. I have acquired a total of 2,000 miles since installing all mods except the flex fuel wires and an additional 8,000 miles on a fully stock car before that .After every mod (which I chose to install individually) I was careful to gauge any changes in driving characteristics/dynamics. Add to this the fact that I installed all the forementioned mods myself and any issues/concerns I encountered was resolved "in-house" showing the extent to which I know my car and have a strong grasp on what Im doing. Im not speaking on the basis from what I've heard or what I think, but from first hand experience installing and benefiting from these mods. I've found that some are so consumed with numbers, hp figures and dynos that they fail to see the greater picture. The reason most people get cars like ours is to benefit from the space, refined luxury, best in class sportiness and the practicality of having a sedan for family purposes which still provides the driver with the "ultimate driving pleasure". There are times when some, such as myself, feel the need to enhance the performance a bit and do so by installing mods.Chances are these mods won't turn our cars into complete monsters or help us to achieve significantly better 0-60 times or show enormous gains on the dyno, but will accomplish their goal of giving us what we so desired in the first place; an augmentation of the sporty feel without compromising the essence of the car. To be honest I bought the F10 purely because of aesthetic beauty and the fact that I had the ability to make a purchase based on such. I almost always drive alone, I have no wife or kids (maybe a slightly annoying girlfriend ) and I don't need to drive to work in my car. Those who know me can verify this and attest to the fact that I'm probably one of the younger members on this board. It goes without saying that there are much faster cars for the money Ive spent on my F10 but I could care less. Anyways, Im digressing. Install the mods first and drive your car for a bit and if you feel you need more power, the opportunity is always open to advance to a 550 or m5. Good luck.
      01-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Das Johnson ,
You can always go with BMS Stage 1 or BMS JB4 Stage 2 with Catless downpipe.
Not sure if you can keep up with 300 SRT though.
But for sure it will give you plenty of power to have fun with the car.
Installation wise, I can guide you over the phone whether you buy it from me or not.
It is very easy on the Stage 1, a little hard on the JB4 Stage 2, but it is something that you only need to use 10mm socket and some screw driver.

hp jnkey ,
2013 M Sport 535 most likely will be using Harness B.

Mr Clean ,
You almost got it right, the split year between Harness A and Harness B is MY2012.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
....btw, I beat a Bugatti Veyron two weeks ago driving home on PCH. Of course the guy was on his cell phone and flirting with his hot girlfriend while driving slowly and paying no attention whatsover to me.
Good one, had a good laugh reading this.
Appreciate 0