2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Remote battery low warning

07-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Remote battery low warning

The other day I had a warning in the check control that the battery in my remote key was low. I've now replaced the battery and all the functions of the remote work fine but I still have the check control warning. I've also checked the new battery's voltage and that is fine and have also cleaned all contacts.

It's on a F11 535i Touring October 2010.

Any ideas before I take it to my dealer? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Chris
The other day I had a warning in the check control that the battery in my remote key was low. I've now replaced the battery and all the functions of the remote work fine but I still have the check control warning. I've also checked the new battery's voltage and that is fine and have also cleaned all contacts.

It's on a F11 535i Touring October 2010.

Any ideas before I take it to my dealer? Thanks.
Please change the battery in your other remote. The low battery could be coming from the spare key fob.

Next, if the problem persisted, bight the bullet and replace the battery again. Possibility the new battery ain't so new.

Also, make sure no debris on electrical contacts inside fob.

Let us know the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

It could also be that it takes a few starts to clear out the code automatically. This is just a guess though.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Please change the battery in your other remote. The low battery could be coming from the spare key fob.

Next, if the problem persisted, bight the bullet and replace the battery again. Possibility the new battery ain't so new.

Also, make sure no debris on electrical contacts inside fob.

Let us know the outcome.
Update:

Tried the spare remote key - no battery low warning with this one so this tended to rule out any problem on the car's side.

Took out the new battery in the original key, gave it a good wiping and pushed it firmly into place in its housing and problem solved! The issue was presumably just a bad electrical contact.
Appreciate 0