2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535 configuration - Black Sapphire on grey leather

06-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Rudegar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E500W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magic View Post
Although I do know there is plenty of electronics, I'm trying to keep some of the complexity down. Also, I was told by the company directly about IAS: people unfamiliar with it may get surprised to the sensitivity and different feeling, and at higher speeds they can potentially overstear in some situations. It's a factor in my decision, where some human factors come into play - not all technology. If I can guarantee that I'm always the only one driving the car with AIS, then I may factor it differently. I have to consider others' skills.

I have worked on 4-wheel steering 2 decades ago for a German car company as a graduate school sponsored project. I am quite familiar with the concept technologically, albeit not in final form. I'd still like to drive one today to know how it turned out. Appreciate your input.
Mr Magic: Thanks for your thoughtful and non-emotional response to the previous comment. I wish everyone could & would be as articulate and objective.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

The only thing I'd change on your config is the color of the leather. grey is boring and does not wear very well with time. My suggestion is to go with the Cinammon brown interior which complements the black exterior nicely and give the interior a more sophisticated and richer feel.

Quote:
I'm considering ordering 535i with the following configuration:

2TB - 8-speed Sport auto transmission with paddle shifters
475P- Black Sapphire Metallic
LCDE - Everest Grey Leather
ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package
ZPP - Premium Package
ZP2 - Premium 2 Package
ZSP - Sport Package
4CE - Anthracite wood trim
5DL - Side/Top View cameras (I am told it's offered in US)
4NB - 4-zone climate

Been testdriving them the last 2 weeks. 535i has plenty of power for me - was easily over 100 mph with 8 speed auto, will commute 80 miles per day roundtrip over winding mountain HWY, so mileage is a factor for me and lower weight helps the balance. Wallet weight factors too.

Sport suspension in sport mode felt very good to me.

Been going back and forth on white vs. sapphire black. I am settling on sapphire black for a change (I have white E46).

Interior, been going back and forth between Oyster/black and grey. I wanted lightest interior to keep interior heat down on our sunny CA days and to counteract the black exterior heat. Oyster/black, although looks great, has too much black and heats up interior in my opinion. Beige is ugly to me. Grey is lighter in real life compared to online system images and makes a nice monochromatic scheme with Anthracite wood, metal trims, and black sapphire exterior.

I'm used to the agility of my 3-series E46 handling (330i non-Sport). Want something a bit larger to carry people and more comfortable to drive longer distances. I'll trade a bit of the agility off for comfort, and still want to hold the road well. The F10 w/ sport suspension seems to work well for me.

Must-have navigation, 4-zone climate to cool back passengers better if car is black.

Wasn't able to test AIS. This gizmo is a non-obvious return on investment for me, steering felt great as-is. Also, worried it might fool someone unfamiliar (family member) with it driving on a slick mountain road and oversteer it around a curve.

Expensive run-flat tires are a concern on Sport pkg. I put 20k miles a year on them. But, test drive I took felt great. May think about non-run flats later.

HUD is out. I found most info, even from NAV, is right next to speedometer anyway, if not audible from NAV system itself. The killer was I wear polarized prescription glasses even in overcast days to see the road better and other driver's faces through their glass. HUD is invisible with polarized lenses.

Surround camera's were on a F10 demo car - looks nice in top view mode to help park and help check blind spots.

All the other driver assist items don't do much for me.

I've seen many posting of orders and would appreciate any comments in this configuration, especially the colors.

-Mr. Magic
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
The only thing I'd change on your config is the color of the leather. grey is boring and does not wear very well with time. My suggestion is to go with the Cinammon brown interior which complements the black exterior nicely and give the interior a more sophisticated and richer feel.
Thanks for your input. I've had gray BMW leather 10 years, and it's held up well. I've looked at cinnamon - too dark and looks brown to me.

I think the Oyster/black has a very stylish sporting look to it. The taupe color in real life strikes me as something that could fade (sun bleach) over time at differing rates, some taupe color in the shadows, light creams in the sun.

I'm leaning to Gray again since it looks classier, contrasts to the blacks (makes the leather looks lighter in comparison), and if it fades a bit, well, it's all still shades of grays.

I think the monotonic approach of metallic black exterior, interior gray wood patterned trim, light/medium gray interior, with glass and metal highlights is chic.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
grasso06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)

Quote:
grass,
Thanks - I suspect the same is in store for me if I place an order. Too bad. I think for myself, holding out 3 months for this option isn't worth it. Actually, that's 3 months sooner my 'boss' can take over my E46, so I think I can talk her into it.

kd6lor,
I suspect there might be a gender bias towards this option, but I don't think it will be like NAV. NAV is a rare e-gadget that both genders agree on: the guy doesn't have to argue with her about stopping and asking for directions, so both are at peace.

-Magic
Oh, and btw, it's more like 5 months... September build means November delivery in the US.
Appreciate 0