2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Upgrade HiFi system using $1000-$1500

10-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #67
BawstinMike
Ma' the meatloaf....
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F15 MSport

Anyone have a good suggestion on upgrading the OEM HK amp?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #68
alexng72
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i Black Msport

I'm waiting for the amp too. I also have a Mb quart qm200 ready for installing. Let's see how this set up comes out. I did purchase the Bav speakers before but end up returned them. The sound was better then OEM speakers but i was not really impressed with that set up. It lacks lots of power so the upgrade amp is the must thing to do IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #69
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexng72 View Post
I'm waiting for the amp too. I also have a Mb quart qm200 ready for installing. Let's see how this set up comes out. I did purchase the Bav speakers before but end up returned them. The sound was better then OEM speakers but i was not really impressed with that set up. It lacks lots of power so the upgrade amp is the must thing to do IMO.
Those MBQuartz should sound pretty good!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #70
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawstinMike View Post
Anyone have a good suggestion on upgrading the OEM HK amp?
There's a couple of options but they're not cheap. What's your budget?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #71
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBentley View Post
Wow you're right. It's apparent even more now that you made these points. Honestly I purchased it because of the fact that I had a nightmare while trying to get equipment installed at a local shop. The shop did my audio install on my e60 and I was actually impressed that they were able to fix 6.5" speakers in the 4" factory locations without any modifications, only hacking out a little bit of foam. Install was great. However I guess with the F10 things were different. F10 is very sensitive. I had the shop install an lcq-1 along with two amps(one for trunk subs and one for highs) and changed out the interior speakers as well. It all went wrong from the first week after as I got the battery drain issue and check engine light. Install shop basically didn't really know what they were doing it seems. Caused tons of problems for me that I ended up taking everything out two weeks after. Just wasn't worth it. Install sounded like shit too. Anyway, I'm a car audio guy I like my music loud and clear. If your amp delivers that without the hassle, and is plug and play, I can't ask for more! Can't wait..lol I keep saying it but it's true
Only a handful of shops in the country know to tune a car, specially BMWs. You will find shops that have great fabrication skills but can't tune a car to save their life. The only shop in your area that knows BMWs inside and out is in Edison, NJ. Don at Unexpected Creations. You should stop by one day and listen his car. Trust me it's worth the drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #72
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
To be honest with you you shoud've kept the BAV speakers. However for the money i can't fault you going with the MB quarts.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #73
rji2goleez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528xi

Well, yesterday I got my Bavsound Stage one kit and got it installed in no time. For a noob like me, their video was extremely helpful as I never pulled a door panel before! I can clearly hear the sound difference . . . more clarity, crisper than the OEM HiFi speakers. Next will be the bimmer-tech amp which I hope to received soon and then the Bavsound underseat subs at the end of November. This is enough for me.

Nelson - that's quite the investment you have in your gear!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #74
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rji2goleez View Post
Well, yesterday I got my Bavsound Stage one kit and got it installed in no time. For a noob like me, their video was extremely helpful as I never pulled a door panel before! I can clearly hear the sound difference . . . more clarity, crisper than the OEM HiFi speakers. Next will be the bimmer-tech amp which I hope to received soon and then the Bavsound underseat subs at the end of November. This is enough for me.

Nelson - that's quite the investment you have in your gear!
Good to hear u like it!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #75
alexng72
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
To be honest with you you shoud've kept the BAV speakers. However for the money i can't fault you going with the MB quarts.
Well my point is want to try different types of speakers of different brands so i can make a final decision. If the MQ quarts is not as good as expected, well i can send them back to the seller and try on sth else. Maybe Focal or sth idk.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #76
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Do u guys know is it possible to fit a 5.25" speaker instead of the factory 4" speakers for the doors.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #77
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
Do u guys know is it possible to fit a 5.25" speaker instead of the factory 4" speakers for the doors.
Yes it's possible as long as the speaker mounting depth isn't too deep. I believe the maximum depth they could be fit the doors is somewhere around 2.1"(anyone correct me if I'm wrong.) you could fit some deeper speakers into the rear deck with little modification
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #78
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's possible as long as the speaker mounting depth isn't too deep. I believe the maximum depth they could be fit the doors is somewhere around 2.1"(anyone correct me if I'm wrong.) you could fit some deeper speakers into the rear deck with little modification
My integra fit 6.25" my Nissan Titan fits 6.25" but our BMW's 4"! I'm wondering if having smaller components would make a difference in sound quality vs a bigger components?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #79
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My integra fit 6.25" my Nissan Titan fits 6.25" but our BMW's 4"! I'm wondering if having smaller components would make a difference in sound quality vs a bigger components?
Man I've gone through the same dilemmas as you. My Acura TL fit 6.5" it was great but it's hard finding 4" speakers for BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #80
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
That's because the 4" speaker in a BMW is used as a dedicated midrange and the 8" underseat woofer is used as a midbass driver. The problem is that most BMW owners don't really understand the concept of a 3 way front speaker system that consist of a tweeter, midrange and midbass speaker. People want midbass coming from the doors and real bass coming from the underseat woofer when those never were the intended intentions of the OEM system.

There's plenty of options...Jehnerts, Gladen, Focal, Bav just to name a few..
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #81
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
That's because the 4" speaker in a BMW is used as a dedicated midrange and the 8" underseat woofer is used as a midbass driver. The problem is that most BMW owners don't really understand the concept of a 3 way front speaker system that consist of a tweeter, midrange and midbass speaker. People want midbass coming from the doors and real bass coming from the underseat woofer when those never were the intended intentions of the OEM system.

There's plenty of options...Jehnerts, Gladen, Focal, Bav just to name a few..
got it! i always thought the underneath speaker was a sub and not a component? totally makes sense now!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #82
alexng72
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

any ideas when our amps arrive ???
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #83
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bimmertech amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexng72
Hey just wondering if you ever received an answer on our bimmertech amps and when we will be receiving them? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #84
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So basically the Stage 1 Bav upgrade wasn't a complete upgrade since at that time did not include the underneath speakers?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #85
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So basically the Stage 1 Bav upgrade wasn't a complete upgrade since at that time did not include the underneath speakers?
Hey man, not to get off topic but just wanted to say that I saw your wheels that you purchased in the other thread and they are insane!! Enjoy them I'm sure u fall in love every time u look at them lol
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #86
alexng72
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't heard from Nelson yet. Do you have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #87
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Correct, as you can see guys that did the Bav upgrade were waiting for years for their underseat speakers upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #88
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yours was order thru the website right?
Appreciate 0