2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Consumer report

03-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
every make and model out there will have their issues...tell me one car that's been problem free!
All cars develop some problems at some point, but you want the car to go at least, say, 6-7 years or 80K miles (whichever comes first) without requiring any work other than regular maintenance. Also, it's reasonable to expect no major repairs for at least 8 years or 100K miles.

Your chances of getting this with recent BMW models don't seem to be very good. A disturbing thing for me has been that all 3 new BMWs that I purchased in recent years needed to go back to the dealership for stuff even when they were brand new.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #24
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
All cars develop some problems at some point, but you want the car to go at least, say, 6-7 years or 80K miles (whichever comes first) without requiring any work other than regular maintenance. Also, it's reasonable to expect no major repairs for at least 8 years or 100K miles.
Exactly, especially given the premium pricing paid for these cars and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
TRIUMPHT
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i

Also agree and the point i was trying to make .. Comparing BMW to some of the "MORE RELIABLE" vehicles I've owned in the past having issues very early with low mileage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
every make and model out there will have their issues...tell me one car that's been problem free!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #26
TRIUMPHT
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i

That is the one thing I've always said when hearing about German cars and the headaches attached to them is why would I pay more for something that's not going to be as good or atleast on par with something much cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Exactly, especially given the premium pricing paid for these cars and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #27
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT View Post
....why would I pay more for something...
Driving dynamics, looks, safety and a bit of a brand prestige - if that's your thing . That's where they still stand out from competition.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #28
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

I leased a 2007 530i and had it 45k miles with not a single issue.
I owned a 2007 328i coupe I bought with 36k and had it until 80k.
The car did flash a brake problem which under warranty was to replace the brake computer that was a cost against the warranty to the tune of $3000! THis was at 42,000 miles. Im not sure that was necessary but I was not paying for it. If I were, I would have found a unit that was salvaged for far less!
Other than that that car was also problem free. The car when bought it costs $25000 and it was paid for in three years. I just sold it a few weeks ago but not because of fear. I really enjoyed the car and even if it needed repairs, its far less money to do that keep getting a new car. Is it logical to put $3000 in a repair on a car worth only $10,000? Yeah, because of replacement cost. ANy other car used might have issues as well.

The best (financial) value from these machines is derived from longer term ownership. The subjective enjoyment from the engineering of a premium german brand vs. a dependable Japan build is a personal choice. A F10 is a luxury item, not an appliance for transportation. You may need a car, but not a BMW. Nobody needs a BMW or other premium brand.

I don't put a ton of miles on my cars but when I did put 15k a year on my business car I leased from BMW (Pre-2008) with no money down and crazy residuals. The E60 retained its value better than any other car, and thus was the best to lease. Now, they want more down and the rates are not the same. It don't make sense for me. Buying a $65,000 car for under 40 grand, with 28k miles on it and financing half at .9% and since doing so, stretch the payments to 5 years (why pay it off with that rate?) is a no brainer FOR ME!

As for enjoyment, I am totally cool driving a 10 year old BMW as long as it is reliable and not a cash drain. Many prefer to drive a new car every three years (I was for years) and that's what leasing is for.

My take is there is not blanket advice for all as ones financial situation is different, financial goals are different, values for owning material luxury items, penis size, and spousal acceptance is all different for all of us.

Personally I really admire the 20 year old BMW in great shape that is driven daily over the heavy modified uber mobile. Not that they are not awesome, but there is something very cool about a well maintained high mileage car!