2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535d "must have options" - advice needed..

07-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535d f10

535d "must have options" - advice needed..

Hi, I currently own a 2007 e92 and i'm selling it at the moment and thinking of a 535d F10.

Context: became father recently, like sporty cars (the e92 has m pack), do an average of 30k km/year (mainly freeway), like the sport/comfort combo but tend more to the sport side.

I would like some advice on what would be the extras you guys recommend according to given information.

Mandatory: M Pack, Professional GPS, 19' rims (351), colour black, sport auto gearbox, leather, tinted windows, wide instrument panel, xenon lights.

Doubts: Colour - Carbon black or azurite (individual)
Suspension - plain M sport or damper control with active steering, etc.. (i've read about a somewhat souless steering feel, doesn't all that technology contribute to it, and in that case, original m suspension would be preferred - i've got m suspension on my e92 and don't complain about it.
Seats - M or comfort (i really like my back side support on my e92 and can't say i suffer from back pain even on long journeys)
Alarm? Folding back seats? Headlights assistant?
The sound will be aftermarket.

Biggest doubts are the suspension and steering choices and the seats.
Sorry for the testament, help appreciated..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

i owned a f10, now a f11...

if you just became father, then I recommend you take a f11... the f10 is too small with a child. the boot is tiny considering how big the baby things (pram) have become. To prove my point, drive to the next dealer - stick in a pram at the back of a f10 and see how little space there is left.. shocking..

suspension: had m-sport on my f10, now Adadptive drive on my f11... today, i would go for the m-sport. the adaptive drive is not worht the money. teh m-suspension is such a nice compromise beetween stiffness and comfort.

active steerting: it is must on this car..

comfort seats vs. sportseats: i have always owned the comfort seats (e60, e61, x71 etc..).. the comfort seats have 2 advantages (one of them you know from your e92):
1) the comfort seats allow you to blow up the side bolsters to give you a tight seating position. love that.
2) the comfort seats allows you to the set angle of the top third of the seat, bringing the headrest closer to your head. love that feature too..

colour: i am not sure what azurite is like but what disturbs me of carbon black is that it is blue rather than black. i would rather want ot have a pure black colour..

good luck and check out the f11 just to be on the safe side

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Mandatory - well I don't if tahts rights , as a BMW is a luxery car and you could argue none of us REQUIRE a BMW.

But anyway.....
HUD - this is really good and I'd not have a Beemer without one now.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGr View Post
Hi, I currently own a 2007 e92 and i'm selling it at the moment and thinking of a 535d F10.

Context: became father recently, like sporty cars (the e92 has m pack), do an average of 30k km/year (mainly freeway), like the sport/comfort combo but tend more to the sport side.
Welcome and parabéns!!
Did you also consider the F11? The boot is huge and should give you the versatility that is normally required or desired when you're carrying all the baby gear in the car.

Quote:
I would like some advice on what would be the extras you guys recommend according to given information.

Mandatory: M Pack, Professional GPS, 19' rims (351), colour black, sport auto gearbox, leather, tinted windows, wide instrument panel, xenon lights.
Nothing to comment, really, except that you might also want to check the new multifunctional instrument cluster (option 6WB)...

Quote:
Suspension - plain M sport or damper control with active steering, etc.. (i've read about a somewhat souless steering feel, doesn't all that technology contribute to it, and in that case, original m suspension would be preferred - i've got m suspension on my e92 and don't complain about it.
Seats - M or comfort (i really like my back side support on my e92 and can't say i suffer from back pain even on long journeys)

Color - as far as color is concerned, I think it is a very personal thing and I would never tell anyone "dude, that color sucks". Having said that, I do prefer "Sophisto Gray" above all other, and "Carbon Black" as a relatively close second place.

Suspension - coming from an as standard as you may get E60 530d, having Adaptive Drive was a must for me because it completely changes the car behavior at the press of a button. The "Sport/Sport+" modes' suspension setting may not be the same thing as the M-suspension and the car will be 10 mm higher, but you can also enjoy a comfortable ride when you have the baby on-board.

Seats - go for Comfort seats, no questions asked! They are THAT good...

Alarm - I also thought about adding it but then who gives a damn if a car alarm is buzzing, at least in big cities? If you do insist, I'd recommend going for a professional 3rd-party thing (which I might also consider once I bring mine to Portugal).

Folding back seats - add any option that gives you more flexibility. You'll need it!

High beams assistant - I had it in my 530d and found it to be quite useful and a good active safety option, especially when you are driving in the night in twisty roads.

Other options that you might also want to consider (from higher importance to lower importance):
- Head-Up display - brilliant feature, works fantastic and it is a real step forward in terms of active driving safety
- surround view package - the F10 and F11 are very big cars and the top-view and PDC are very helpful to avoid hitting objects, sidewalks, etc.
- tire pressure monitoring system
- active safety for passengers
- Internet, smartphone connectivity options, Apps, etc, for a nice ConnectedDrive experience (we still don't have a lot of options in Portugal but I am sure BMW will be adding them as we come along)
- moonroof

When are you planning to order the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep

rsyed - I'm now 30 years old, and i can't visualize myself just yet on a touring.... coming from a e92 coupe to an f10 is a evolution in terms of space for the moment.... i think...

can you get the same sport like driving when needed from the adaptive drive as the m? the comfort suspension would be a plus on some roads here in portugal...
but i didn't want to loose on handling and sportiness when needed....

is the active steering that important? or is just a way to rest your arms

the m seats don't give that 'hug feeling'??

i've seen carbon black in person and like it, about azurite i've seen only on internet..

by the way, what is the colour on this videos? can you tell? carbon or azurite?

AP - Of course, nothing is mandatory, but those are the ones which i've set my mind to, and i think add good value to the car...

i like gadgets but i think the hud would be just that... i hear the instruction on the gps and don't need to see it in front of me and why do i need the speed i'm going at right in front of me. What's the big feature that you think is important about hud, apart from the ones i've said?

Thank's for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

Re the HUD , I find teh best feature is simply not having to look down to the speedo or Nav screen. I know that probably sounds daft and you're probably asking, what sthe big deal?
Well it does take perhaps half a second to refocus you eyes wheras the HUD is right in front of you, in fact righ on the end of the boneet to be precise.With teh sat nav instructions there, you can decide to display otehr options on your screen, or turn the screen off all together - which I do at night , I find that more restful.
I thought it would be a gadget and although it is, I would certianly miss it.
Probably best to try it out if you can and see if its something you'd like. I only got the chance to sit in a stationary X6 to try it out so never saw it in action prior to buying my car , but glad I did.
It certianly has that wow factor when you show your friends, although thats not what its about!

Might find it difficult to find a car with it, in the UK it doesn't seem like a popular option as far as I can tell, the only car I've seen in showrooms with it are M5s so finding one to try out on the road might be difficult. It may be a more popular option in other countries possibly, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

further to this, if you google it and videos , you'll find some videos that poeple have taken which may help you make up your mind.

in addition point worth mentioneding is the reflection of where teh HUD would be, some people find this a problem, otehr don't but with no HUD you have a cutout which is reflected back from teh windsreen, if you're going to have a reflection in front of you, you might as well have the HUD there!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Let me put it this way… Ever since I had the HUD in my E60 I will never buy a car without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
rsyed - I'm now 30 years old, and i can't visualize myself just yet on a touring.... coming from a e92 coupe to an f10 is a evolution in terms of space for the moment.... i think...
Is that a way of calling us old fashioned?
The F11 with the M-package is as sexy and aggressive as the F10 with the M-package. Oh, by the way I am 34 y/o.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

can you get the same sport like driving when needed from the adaptive drive as the m? the comfort suspension would be a plus on some roads here in portugal...
but i didn't want to loose on handling and sportiness when needed....

is the active steering that important? or is just a way to rest your arms

the m seats don't give that 'hug feeling'??

Thank's for the help guys.
haha... i am 33 and i own a f11... check out my signature - you will see that a alpine white f11 does not look tat bad after all.

but seriously, if you are taking a f10, then you might aswell stay with the e92. apart from the the extra 2 doors, you will not be getting that much more boot space with teh f10. my 2 cents, drive to the next dealer and stick a pram into the f10 and see how much space is left. you will be shocked.

i really don't notice a difference between sport and comfort+... and mind you, i forget to press sport everytime i start the car. that was teh good thing about the m-sport suspension - with the m-suspension there was no need to press any buttons and the balance was just perfect.

active steering is critical - one of the best options bmw offers. coming from teh e92, you will find the normal f10 steering very indirect. the active steering will compensate this big time.

nope, the m-sport sport seats don't "hug" you. the comfort seats do

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Is the new instrument cluster already available that would be nice! and what about the new idrive is it also?

i'm planning on ordering it in september.

so right now i'm inclining to comfort seats and active steering.

Touring not so much....
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Is the new instrument cluster already available that would be nice! and what about the new idrive is it also?

Touring not so much....
I don't know for sure if the MFID is already available for Portugal, but I would assume so, since they all come from the same assembly line. As for the newer iDrive, there's some indecision that will be clarified in the upcoming weeks (as per other threads in this sub-forum).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGr

Touring not so much....
Hmm...maybe you really are too young to own a Touring?

I am 42 with two kids and love the design on the F11, especially with M sport package and 19" wheels. The extra space is a bonus!

What you definitely should choose are:

- Comfort seats (so much better than std and sport seats)
- HUD
- Rear view camera
- Navi
- HiFi Professional or if money is no object, the new B&O system.
- On the F11, panoramic roof!

I have the std suspension (M Sport but xDrive model) and it works fine IMO.

BTW, congrats on being a father!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
Hmm...maybe you really are too young to own a Touring?
I thought the same exact thing!

Quote:
I am 42 with two kids and love the design on the F11, especially with M sport package and 19" wheels. The extra space is a bonus!
It is the sexiest BMW out there, especially in sophisto gray and shadow line trimmings…

Quote:
What you definitely should choose are:

- Comfort seats (so much better than std and sport seats)
- HUD
- Rear view camera
- Navi
- HiFi Professional or if money is no object, the new B&O system.
- On the F11, panoramic roof!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you guys for the congratulations.

About the touring aspect, by the time i have just one kid...., when the second comes i'll think about it...

Now more seriously, is the wife who everyday takes care of that part, on the renault laguna touring. I would only use it for that purpose on sporadic weekend ride and once or twice a year holiday trip. So i can use the other car in those situations. And as i do plenty of km monthly (3/4K) don't think the touring part would be the most needed.

As for the hud and rearview camera, don't really think i need it (i have to make a cut somewhere.... cars in portugal are stupidly expensive, comparing to our medium wage).

This same car, with the exact same specifications is 20000€ cheaper in our neighbour Spain!!

I'm talking as of now about 97000€ of car...... just the tought that with that kind of dough i would almost get an GTR.............. yes i know i'm really too young for a touring

About sunroof do you guys really give it use or it just stays closed most of the time? water infiltration? parasite noises? any of this problems may arise.

About the sound part i've not yet talked about it because it will be aftermarket. I have a set of Focal berylliums 3way sitting in the box and the installation already thought (keeping absolute stock look)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Thank you guys for the congratulations.

About the touring aspect, by the time i have just one kid...., when the second comes i'll think about it...

Now more seriously, is the wife who everyday takes care of that part, on the renault laguna touring. I would only use it for that purpose on sporadic weekend ride and once or twice a year holiday trip. So i can use the other car in those situations. And as i do plenty of km monthly (3/4K) don't think the touring part would be the most needed.

As for the hud and rearview camera, don't really think i need it (i have to make a cut somewhere.... cars in portugal are stupidly expensive, comparing to our medium wage).

This same car, with the exact same specifications is 20000€ cheaper in our neighbour Spain!!

I'm talking as of now about 97000€ of car...... just the tought that with that kind of dough i would almost get an GTR.............. yes i know i'm really too young for a touring

About sunroof do you guys really give it use or it just stays closed most of the time? water infiltration? parasite noises? any of this problems may arise.

About the sound part i've not yet talked about it because it will be aftermarket. I have a set of Focal berylliums 3way sitting in the box and the installation already thought (keeping absolute stock look)
Just a quick question. We have freedom of movement of goods & services in the EU. Why don't you buy your car in Spain? For Euro20,000 it must be worth a little travelling surely?
      07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Just a quick question. We have freedom of movement of goods & services in the EU. Why don't you buy your car in Spain? For Euro20,000 it must be worth a little travelling surely?
Cars are subject to specific taxation and duties once they are imported from another EU country. You can do it and quite often it pays out, but the price gap is often reduced to a minimum due to the taxes that are levied by customs.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wish it was that simple.... on new cars we have to pay taxes when they come from abroad, making it in some cases even more expensive!! it can pay out but only on used ones... and even then we still have to pay a lot of taxes.... Comparing our car prices and the average wage in portugal we are at the deep bottom of europe!!!

Last edited by MikeGr; 07-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: bad spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
jinmadrid
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport F11

My 535D M Sport has pretty much all the main options. I think that M Sport suspension is better for you. I wish I hadnt spent the money on adaptive drive. I think the m sport seats are better than the comfort seats. I wish I knew all this before I bought. Am selling mine now at EUR65k if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

+1 on the HUD, I will never buy a car without it.

If you do go for the sports seats, you really should get the lumbar thingy for them. They are quite soft in the back without it.

Moonroof! This is nice. Might not be as important in portugal as you guys have plenty of sun.

Some said active steering is a must, I disagree and would never buy a F10/11 with it. I think you'll find the disconnected feeling of the steering worse then. If you like sporty cars, make sure you really try this out first if you are considering it. Try it on the twisty and narrow stuff as well as long sweeping curves at high speed. As far as maneuverability in parking garages etc, it's not a issue at all.

Navi is ofc a must. Awesome with the HUD.

Cruise controll with stop and go is awesome. Nothing like a regular cruise control at all and makes long journeys less tiring. It also add to the safety as it will start to brake, but not emergency brake when in emergency situations. When your foot hits the pedal you are already down quite a bit in speed and the pedal is "pre charged" so as soon as you hit it, it really slams on the brakes. If will flash red in the HUD. Needs to be in combination of some safety feature. Ask the dealer.

You do want iPhone integration.

If you get a HUD you might also want the speed limit info.

You probably also want traffic info. I love it when it says in the HUD that there is something in the road 1 kilometer in front of me.

Carbon Black is awesome. But according to the detailers here it's the hardest color to maintain. If you know how to use a DA machine and like to maintain your car, nothing beats Imperial Blue and Carbon Black (IMHO)

Alarm.. a must..

Rear veiw camera, this really is a must.

Last edited by LiveLarger; 07-26-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #21
michal12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

You should consider an Individual color may (probably will) add like 2 months to leadtime (maybe 5 months instead of 3).
Alarm - you should get it, even though you will never hear it
HUD - honestly I felt cross eyed after 30 mins of driving, so I would skip it.
Folding back seats - yes for sure. (for a surf?) For me being a skier, I consider ski bag mandatory too.
Headlights assistant - I have it in my E90, used it once. Not sure you need it. You would use it more on B roads, almost never in town or highway.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
MikeGr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you guys about all the help.

The hud is getting more and more to the back of the list, i don't really think i need it, sure it would be nice, but i don't need it€€€, same goes for the camera (got really used to the pdc sensors and see no point in watching whats happening back there...).
Colour will most likely be carbon (i never wash the car in an auto, always at home by hand, not a detailer but if it needs it, from time to time i will take it to one).
I do not want iphone integration because i have a galay sIII. Alarm yes, and also folding back seats.

Biggest doubts right now: was already inclined to comfort seats and active steering but livelarger and jinmadrid's opinions made me rethink on that ones.

I guess i will have to try some cars with and without them to make the final decisions.
Appreciate 0