2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My new 520d with 20" + M-sport suspension

07-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
Lars
Rep
Drives: BMW 520dA

Hi bm323,

I test drove a 525d with the auto sports transmission and dynamic dampers. In my opinion the M-suspension feels the same as the sport-setting of the dynamic dampers.

Regarding the tires, if looks were irrelevant I would still go for the 19" or 20"'s. These tires are a bit wider (245 in front and 275 in back) and give you a better handling. Personally I like a sporty drive. Again if your in for the comfort, go for the 18" ' s with the dynamic dampers!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
Lars
Rep

Hi Robin,

I have not tried the sport+ setting yet. Still I am a bit confused. In my opinion there's no electronics involved regarding the M-suspension. Just stiffer dampers, lowered springs and other stabilizers. How can this be electronically manipulated then? I thought this was the essence of the dynamic dampers?

Regards, Lars
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
Lars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smanoj77 View Post
what do you think of the 520d engine, now that you have had the car for a few days. I appreciate you saying its no 550/535i. I'm a bit apprehensive of the fact that the cars grown a bit heavier, wondering if the 520d has enough grunt to pull the car.
I think the engine is great. I test drove a 525d with 204bhp. For sure there is a difference, but not as much as I thought. According to BMW the car still does 0-60 in 8,2 seconds! That's faster than most of the other cars around.

Having said that, I want my cars' ECU to be chipped to 220bhp when its available. Anyone else having the same plans?

Regards, Lars
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Hi Robin,

I have not tried the sport+ setting yet. Still I am a bit confused. In my opinion there's no electronics involved regarding the M-suspension. Just stiffer dampers, lowered springs and other stabilizers. How can this be electronically manipulated then? I thought this was the essence of the dynamic dampers?

Regards, Lars
There is something I don't understand here. BMW states in various places that the sports automatic comes with dynamic driving control that among other things tightens the chassi in the sport and sport+ setting. How can that actually be done without using electronics? I suspect that something is done to the anti-roll bars.

The dynamic driving control is also included with the dynamic dampers, the adaptive drive and the integral steering. But comes as stand alone with the sports automatic.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #27
Alex315
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Volvo C70

Quote:
I think the engine is great. I test drove a 525d with 204bhp. For sure there is a difference, but not as much as I thought. According to BMW the car still does 0-60 in 8,2 seconds! That's faster than most of the other cars around.

Having said that, I want my cars' ECU to be chipped to 220bhp when its available. Anyone else having the same plans?

Regards, Lars
Mooie wagen Lars (nice car Lars)

Via f10-forum.de I found http://www.ds-motorsport.de/bmw-cars/5er/f10.html
seems the 525d has a big potential. Haven't contacted them to understand the tech diffs between first & 2nd stage of tuning and what price. Chipped 525d seems much different than chipped 520d. (6-cyl potential?)

Anyone here already driving a chipped diesel F10/F11?

Oh, and Lars, have you tried your car on non-highway roads (kassei, rioolputten, putjes in asfalt, dwarsverbindingen). How do the imperfections are felt in the car?

greetz,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #28
Lars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex315 View Post
Mooie wagen Lars (nice car Lars)

Via f10-forum.de I found http://www.ds-motorsport.de/bmw-cars/5er/f10.html
seems the 525d has a big potential. Haven't contacted them to understand the tech diffs between first & 2nd stage of tuning and what price. Chipped 525d seems much different than chipped 520d. (6-cyl potential?)

Anyone here already driving a chipped diesel F10/F11?

Oh, and Lars, have you tried your car on non-highway roads (kassei, rioolputten, putjes in asfalt, dwarsverbindingen). How do the imperfections are felt in the car?

greetz,
Alex
Hi Alex,

I drove the car on non-highway roads. Due to the RTF's and the low profile tires it is not the most comfortable car in the world. However, my previous car (Audi A4 Avant on 19" and sportsuspensions) was much less comfortable then the BMW. I think it is all about what you are used to and what your preferences are.

As I stated earlier, if you want the most comfort, go for the dynamic dampers with the 18" (or buy a Citroen), if you like a sporty ride, go for the 20".

By the way, I drove the car with my wife and kids and they never complained about the ride! I can surely recommend the sport suspension. The suspension itself is not uncomfortable at all. You loose the most comfort with the 20".

Cheers, Lars
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
I drove the car on non-highway roads. Due to the RTF's and the low profile tires it is not the most comfortable car in the world. However, my previous car (Audi A4 Avant on 19" and sportsuspensions) was much less comfortable then the BMW. I think it is all about what you are used to and what your preferences are.

As I stated earlier, if you want the most comfort, go for the dynamic dampers with the 18" (or buy a Citroen), if you like a sporty ride, go for the 20".
Do you mean that your A4 Avant on 19" and sports suspension was sportier than your F10, and a F10 with 18 inch and dynamic dampers drive like a Citroen?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #30
Alex315
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Hi Alex,

By the way, I drove the car with my wife and kids and they never complained about the ride! I can surely recommend the sport suspension. The suspension itself is not uncomfortable at all. You loose the most comfort with the 20".

Cheers, Lars
I will effectively be going for the dyndamp, either with 18" bmw rims and rft, either with the standard 17" for winter, and buy additional 19" rims for summer.
I like the fact that sometimes my mood is set to comfort, and sometimes to sport can be handled by the DDC.
Cheers, Alex.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #31
Lars
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Do you mean that your A4 Avant on 19" and sports suspension was sportier than your F10, and a F10 with 18 inch and dynamic dampers drive like a Citroen?
The Audi was definitly less uncomfortable than the F10. What I tried to say is that the sportsuspension of the F10 is has a more comfortable set-up than before. I drove a 525d F10 with the dynamic dampers and 19", this car was (in my opinion) very comfortable. Of course it doesn't drive like a Citroen, but the F10 has a really comfortable set-up (compared with the last model 5-series).

Regards, Lars
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #32
Alex315
Belgium
Rep

Lars, can you let me know when you have chiptuned your car? Would like to meet up to experience the difference. I'm just back from south of france with a 2.0 volvo engine, and gettingback in my 2.4 D5 volvo just feels less agile. So my pendulum is shifting back and forth 520d - 525d. Hope to hear from you. Alexander
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #33
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hi bm323,

I test drove a 525d with the auto sports transmission and dynamic dampers. In my opinion the M-suspension feels the same as the sport-setting of the dynamic dampers.

Regarding the tires, if looks were irrelevant I would still go for the 19" or 20"'s. These tires are a bit wider (245 in front and 275 in back) and give you a better handling. Personally I like a sporty drive. Again if your in for the comfort, go for the 18" ' s with the dynamic dampers!
Just wondering what your tires' thickness and brand are?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #34
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

style 312's are perfect for the f10!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #35
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
My car gets 2 clicks stiffer at Sport/+...noticable...

Sport+ the stabilitycontrol isn't 100% turned off:It just allows you to 'drift' a certain angle and beyond that the Stabilitycontrol kicks in(been there done that). If you push the small button above the Normal/Sport/+ button for a second or three, there is no traction control at all, allows you to make some rather nice drifts(in the rain it's just easier, gears are rather short, but anyway it will drift)
Hi, I have been playing around with the Normal/Sport settings and, voila, there is a small but discernable difference in the suspension damping between the Sport and Normal modes. In Sport, the ride gets more "jittery" (you can feel the road imperfections more) and the damping is harder, giving the sensation of a tighter chassis. Initially, I thought that it was a placebo effect from the transmission configured for Sport mode. However, when configured for "chassis" only on the i-Drive, changes on the fly between the Sport/Normal mode can certainly be felt. How this is possible boggles me and I have no idea if its due to the Dynamic Driving Control or the M-Sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #36
Twenties
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Gran Turismo 550i

Looks good!

2010 BMW GT 550i (F07) Euro Delivery
Blue/wht+blk/ceramic. Spt pkg+20, Seat, Camera.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #37
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Robin,

Regards, Lars
If you don't have "adaptive drive" i.e. normal or M suspension, then the button only stiffens the power steering. regardless of what the LCD says, there is not chassis stiffening with sport/sport+ modes without adaptive drive.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #38
freebird_76
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 5.20d 184HP Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernic View Post
Hi, I have been playing around with the Normal/Sport settings and, voila, there is a small but discernable difference in the suspension damping between the Sport and Normal modes. In Sport, the ride gets more "jittery" (you can feel the road imperfections more) and the damping is harder, giving the sensation of a tighter chassis. Initially, I thought that it was a placebo effect from the transmission configured for Sport mode. However, when configured for "chassis" only on the i-Drive, changes on the fly between the Sport/Normal mode can certainly be felt. How this is possible boggles me and I have no idea if its due to the Dynamic Driving Control or the M-Sport suspension.
I agree with you 100 %.
However it maybe something between Actual Sporty feeling you have with Dynamic Dampers and Normal mode. Anyways it feels different.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #39
stic57
France
Rep
Drives: F10 530d-F20 120D 2013

Congrats!! Looks amazing!! Please post more pics please
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
MiguelAlvarez
Rep
Drives: e60 530xd ///M

You have not the EDC but we can see that you have the buton near the gearbox to select sport or comfort, so even if you have not the EDC you can choose between different mode ??
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #41
Justigador
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Amazing pictures, congrats on your purchase!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #42
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelAlvarez View Post
You have not the EDC but we can see that you have the buton near the gearbox to select sport or comfort, so even if you have not the EDC you can choose between different mode ??
He got the buttons because of the sport automatic, but it now has normal, sport and sport+ settings, and no comfort.
And it just affect the steering throttle and transmission, not the suspension.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0