2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Any Second Thoughts on Having (or Not Having) xDrive?

08-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #23
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_335 View Post
I'd agree with that. I drove RWD through roughest winters in new england. If anything, get winter tires and be done with it.
I live in Alaska and I've driven both AWD & RWD BMW's in the winter. Also, I always get a set of dedicated winter tires. In an RWD BMW on snow and ice when you stomp on the gas, you get bogged down power and a flashing traction-control light. In an AWD BMW, you just zoom off.

Edit: If you only have snow now and again, a 535xi with the stock all-season tires is just fine. If I drove carefully, I could probably make it thru an entire winter up here with just those tires.

Last edited by AKSteve; 08-26-2011 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #24
CJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

I Should have waited for xdrive.
I've never been stuck in Chicago winter snow yet but I like the idea of awd grip and go which is an issue 3 months of the year
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #25
planetary
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i (retired)

Northern California, and I chose RWD.

I can see AWD taking over the world at some point, though, sortof like sufficiently performant and cost effective automatic transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodchip View Post
I live in the harshest climate you can find in North America, and I like my RWD (with snow tires for winter). AWD does not make you stop any quicker.
You stole my words. This is one of the greatest misconceptions of all time. Believing that AWD will somehow save your life and is generally safer. What a bunch of bull... The only risk with a RWD is simply getting stuck in front of my own driveway, or just not being able to floor it from the lights. So, unless I am stuck in the middle of an intersection (rather impossible) and a runaway dump-truck in the perpendicular street is heading towards me to crush me into pieces, AWD is NOT any safer despite all false beliefs. Also, as to being more fun in the snow - who in their sound mind would even attempt to have fun racing a car in the snow? This sounds disaster to me. If it snows, I take it easy, even in my AWD MDX. Sure, it's nice to take off faster than the rest of the traffic, but what's the point? And I live in Toronto (suburbs to be specific) where it snows a lot and our roads are acutally cleaned very quickly (Durham Region). So the greates risk is - again - getting stuck in my own subdivision which sees snow removal trucks good 24hrs following the snow storm. And that's only about 90 days (or really 10-20 of actual heavy snowfall) out of 365. Need I say more? It was a no brainer decision for me. BMW = RWD! We say no to torque steer! :-)

Kill time at the pump!
http://logmympg.com
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep

I also did not want extra weight, more parts to maintain, more punctured cv joint boots to worry about and a host of other side-effects. I only wish they offered those darn headlamp washers in non-AWD F10s!

Kill time at the pump!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #28
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanf View Post
It's more like if I want to go thru the hassle of swapping out snow tires and having to change my driving habits in the snow RWD VS AWD.
Oh my God, I sure hope you're changing your braking habits in the snow. Or else I pray that you live far away from my house, my friend.

Kill time at the pump!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Oh my God, I sure hope you're changing your braking habits in the snow. Or else I pray that you live far away from my house, my friend.

AWD you basically have better traction in snow/slippery conditions than RWD. No denying that!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You stole my words. This is one of the greatest misconceptions of all time. Believing that AWD will somehow save your life and is generally safer. What a bunch of bull... The only risk with a RWD is simply getting stuck in front of my own driveway, or just not being able to floor it from the lights. So, unless I am stuck in the middle of an intersection (rather impossible) and a runaway dump-truck in the perpendicular street is heading towards me to crush me into pieces, AWD is NOT any safer despite all false beliefs. Also, as to being more fun in the snow - who in their sound mind would even attempt to have fun racing a car in the snow? This sounds disaster to me. If it snows, I take it easy, even in my AWD MDX. Sure, it's nice to take off faster than the rest of the traffic, but what's the point? And I live in Toronto (suburbs to be specific) where it snows a lot and our roads are acutally cleaned very quickly (Durham Region). So the greates risk is - again - getting stuck in my own subdivision which sees snow removal trucks good 24hrs following the snow storm. And that's only about 90 days (or really 10-20 of actual heavy snowfall) out of 365. Need I say more? It was a no brainer decision for me. BMW = RWD! We say no to torque steer! :-)

so what you think is the reasoning that in Canada for 2012, can only get the 535 and 550 in AWD?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #31
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
AWD you basically have better traction in snow/slippery conditions than RWD. No denying that!
Same tires, yes. But...only for going. For stopping and turning, your'e the same.

Given the choice between AWD on all seasons and RWD on snows, I'll take snows 11 times out of 10.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #32
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Same tires, yes. But...only for going. For stopping and turning, your'e the same.

Given the choice between AWD on all seasons and RWD on snows, I'll take snows 11 times out of 10.
Lets compare the same here... both drivetrains on winter tires...what would you choose for winter driving? for the extra piece of mind, and not much more in cost, i would take awd....

Last edited by bubbahead; 08-30-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #33
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I also did not want extra weight, more parts to maintain, more punctured cv joint boots to worry about and a host of other side-effects. I only wish they offered those darn headlamp washers in non-AWD F10s!
You could have ordered them as a special order. I did on my 535i.....along with perforated seats (was only available in a 550i), real climate control and window shades. All were special orders. The downside of the headlamp washers is that there isn't a button for you to choose when to use them. If your lights are on, the car decides when the lights need washing. I have seen them go on even in the summer when you don't need the lights washed....and the resulting overspray wrecks a nice clean hood!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
schultz
Rep
Drives: 535xi M Sport pkg Space Grey

For me, there are two determining factors for ordering X-drive:

1. I have owned two AWD vehicles previously because of the winter driving conditions I face every year. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and can assure you that AWD (without question, my vehicles were equipped with snow tires) is very useful and relevant here. Not only for taking off from traffic lights in snowy and icy conditions, but for regular city and highway conditions when road conditions are less than ideal. One great example is the frequency of slush filled roads that we encounter here in my part of the world. Both AWD drive vehicles I have owned tracked significantly better through rain, slush, snow and ice (or combinations of the above) than the FWD or RWD vehicles I have owned in the past.

2. My experience with AWD vehicles (equipped with snow tires) in the climate and environment where I live has given me clear justification for specifying X-drive on the 535xi I have recently ordered. There was never any doubt about what I wanted or needed. Nor is there any doubt that I will equip my coming 535xi with snow tires. Snows and rims will be the first purchase I make after taking delivery of my M-Sport (got to keep those M-style rims for the summer only). And they will be 18" tires and rims to improve traction and reduce the chance of damaged rims and tires by hitting some of the spring potholes we are famous for.

All that to say that ordering X-Drive is a personal decision based on where you live and what level of comfort you require for the driving conditions you experience everyday. For me - it was a no-brainer, in spite of the increased fuel consumption and, according to some, the perceived loss of RWD handling character. My two cents worth...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #35
Vladiik
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 m5

NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #36
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

Exactly! ordering Xdrive or not is a personal decision. If Xdrive/RWD works for you, fine. The tendency is there for those that chose RWD to try to justify their choice, same with those of us that went with X-drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #37
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

No question, you can get by quite well with RWD and a good set of snow tires, I've done it and would do it again in a second if the car I wanted didn't have AWD. However it is night and day driving AWD vs. RWD or FWD (all equipped with snow tires or course) in slippery, especially snowy conditions. It has been said here a number of times that AWD won't help cornering and braking. That's not completely true. Braking of course is the same, cornering while braking is the same, but cornering while accelerating is going to be more stable with AWD. Both RWD and AWD will slide around a slippery corner while accelerating, (AWD will not work miracles), and both are controllable by a good driver, but someone that knows how to use the slide can get around a slippery corner quicker with AWD. I'm not saying the point is to get around the corner quicker when the weather is bad (although maybe when misjudging a left hand turn when traffic is headed your way), but it shows that there is more traction available. That being said, a car sliding around a corner, will mean trouble for an inexperienced or reckless driver regardless of how many wheels put power to the ground. I love RWD cars, but the difference between RWD and AWD for regular everyday driving is not enough to make me give up the added stability in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #38
MrDit
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultz View Post
For me, there are two determining factors for ordering X-drive:

1. I have owned two AWD vehicles previously because of the winter driving conditions I face every year. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and can assure you that AWD (without question, my vehicles were equipped with snow tires) is very useful and relevant here. Not only for taking off from traffic lights in snowy and icy conditions, but for regular city and highway conditions when road conditions are less than ideal. One great example is the frequency of slush filled roads that we encounter here in my part of the world. Both AWD drive vehicles I have owned tracked significantly better through rain, slush, snow and ice (or combinations of the above) than the FWD or RWD vehicles I have owned in the past.

2. My experience with AWD vehicles (equipped with snow tires) in the climate and environment where I live has given me clear justification for specifying X-drive on the 535xi I have recently ordered. There was never any doubt about what I wanted or needed. Nor is there any doubt that I will equip my coming 535xi with snow tires. Snows and rims will be the first purchase I make after taking delivery of my M-Sport (got to keep those M-style rims for the summer only). And they will be 18" tires and rims to improve traction and reduce the chance of damaged rims and tires by hitting some of the spring potholes we are famous for.

All that to say that ordering X-Drive is a personal decision based on where you live and what level of comfort you require for the driving conditions you experience everyday. For me - it was a no-brainer, in spite of the increased fuel consumption and, according to some, the perceived loss of RWD handling character. My two cents worth...
I am from Ottawa as well and decided on the xdrive for the exact same reasons you state. I previously had a RWD Lexus IS350 with great snow tires and although a great car, it was a beast during a typical Ottawa winter.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #39
tdepetra
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.S. View Post
Had e39 540 before - rwd.
Now got 535 x drive. Xdrive is the best feature of my car. Loved it in snow. LOVE it in dry. There is nothing like flooring it on green light and turn. Rwd would be slow with the tail coming around you the xdrive shoots like from a sling. Just turn the wheel and floor it - feels amazing.
I cant understand why everyone thinks AWD is for snow only. Have you guys tried flooring your car off the intersection in the rain? My 540 would just spin tires , even on dry. My 535x just GOES. Straight or turn. Most who praise rwd did not spend enough time behind a wheel of a powerful awd car. I was all for rwd before i drove audi s5 and 535x.
Xdrive is not just for snow countries - but dont take my word for it. Try it - chances are youll love it. Bmw did such an amazing job that my 535x feels like rwd but gives stability and grip like awd.
Totally agree. You can pretty much place the car anywhere you want to, on any surface and at speed. I spend a lot of time on icy roads in the winter, and can't imagine RWD in this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #40
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

xDrive = no manual transmission

Make mine RWD!!!
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
yogi799
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
so what you think is the reasoning that in Canada for 2012, can only get the 535 and 550 in AWD?
First of, are you kidding? Seriously (no sarcasm). Holy crax... I have just picked up my 535i with RWD, just in the nick of time, I guess!

As to the answer, few things IMHO:

1) added acceleration capability mistakenly understood as improved overall handling of the vehicle
2) false sense of added safety as a result of #1
3) good feeling of taking off quickly in snow (I can attest to that, got an MDX...)
4) no serious side-effects of AWD for most of 5-series owners (ie: no problem paying more for maintenance of more parts that can break, or a remote idea of what torque-steer is)
5) the fact that AWD does not "generally" negatively affect your drive in the summer.

Kill time at the pump!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #42
Vladiik
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 m5

RWD UPHILL With new wintersport 4d tyres

NOW F10 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #43
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Nice video from Dunlop, but I'd like to see the MB and an AWD MB with the same snow tires stop mid hill and then get going again. Real life in a snow storm is stop and go traffic. Not a big problem until you get to the hills and have no choice but to stop. You can't wait at the bottom until all the traffic has cleared to get a good run at it. By the way Dunlop makes some awesome snow tires. I've had 3M and 3D, both excellent.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #44
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
Nice video from Dunlop, but I'd like to see the MB and an AWD MB with the same snow tires stop mid hill and then get going again. Real life in a snow storm is stop and go traffic. Not a big problem until you get to the hills and have no choice but to stop. You can't wait at the bottom until all the traffic has cleared to get a good run at it.
Well said!
Appreciate 0