2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Anyone with Dinan mufflers?

07-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Agrand84
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Anyone with Dinan mufflers?

So I just had my Dinan mufflers put on and for some reason they sounds loud as all hell. I saw a lot of people saying Dinan's is the least noisiest hence why I got it, but damn. I mean how loud are the other ones. Anyone else have the Dinan mufflers?

I think upon doing research i listened to too many bloggers who think they know that they are talking about but in actuality unless you have the product you shouldn't comment.
      07-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
ums81
Private
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrand84 View Post
So I just had my Dinan mufflers put on and for some reason they sounds loud as all hell. I saw a lot of people saying Dinan's is the least noisiest hence why I got it, but damn. I mean how loud are the other ones. Anyone else have the Dinan mufflers?

I think upon doing research i listened to too many bloggers who think they know that they are talking about but in actuality unless you have the product you shouldn't comment.
Can you post a clip?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:

I used the Dinan on my E60 535i...
It was just the axle back muffler. I will NEVER by another exhaust part from Dinan.
Above 2500rpm and above, it sounded marvelous. But the startup, idle, and low rpm sound was just too deep and loud. A cold start in my condos garage was embarrassing the low muffler tone would vibrate and rumble the walls. Very much so a disturbance of the peace.

Disabling cold start with my MHD tuner, circumvented the startup boom. But the undue bass and volume at throttle tip in were still a problem. I uninstalled the Dinan after a couple of months.

For what this muffler cost, I expected more sophistication. Had Dinan opted to incorporate an OEM like muffler valve this could have been avoided. Had Dinan chosen to make/tune specific mufflers for the 535i and 550i, this may have been avoided. But as delivered, I was less than impressed.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, regarding that companies exhausts. A $150 Magnaflow would have likely been better.

That being said, the muffler did increase power. It did sound great underway. But that low rpm bass and volume were out of character for this car. As a matter of fact, the $660 Apexi full exhaust I had on my old Accord v6 sounded better.

But on to your issue. You have two options to correct it.
1. Remove it. Or.
2. Have a muffler shop werld in an extra resonator/small muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I haven't had an F10 Dinan exhaust, but I did have one on my E39.

Now one thing to note - Dinan made ONE part for the whole E39 non-M5 lineup, and frankly they were probably targeting the 540 (4.4L V8) but I had the 528 (2.8L I6) so I'm not really sure that any of the engineering decisions regarding sound were made with the smaller displacement I6 in mind.

I observed embarrassingly loud COLD starts when the smog pump was running. But cold starts are always loud on any aftermarket exhaust. Every chucklehead with an exhaust youtube video wants to show how loud the cold start is. You'll never get away from loud cold starts except with a factory system IMO, or possibly an aftermarket system with active flaps.

Beyond cold starts, it was great. No drone when cruising - couldn't even tell I had an aftermarket system when at speed and not under acceleration. It had a musical, melodious tone was you wound through the gears 2500-4500 (manual trans of course) and just the right amount of bark when rev match downshifting. Since all 6 cylinders reduced into a single muffler it had a sportier sound - a 6-into-1 is like one bank of a V12 and it sometimes it made people look due to sound character, not volume - they were expecting to see something cool and not a sport package E39. (Each muffler in the F10 535 is fed by 3 cylinders and takes on a completely different character). It didn't sound like a wanna-be poseur system and it wasn't super loud. Right now I have the M Performance exhaust for my 535i and I wish it was more like my E39 Dinan exhaust.

A friend had an E46 Dinan exhaust on a well modified 323i, so it was designed by Dinan specifically for the I6 engines (no V8s in the E46 lineup) and it was quite quiet. Too quiet, in my opinion, for the money spent. I heard some E39 540s (V8) with Dinan exhaust (same part as my exhaust but on the intended vehicle) and it was also kind of quiet overall.

My F10 M PE is not quite the character I want. Cold starts are loud, I get drone 1500-2500 even when on cruise control on level ground and I find that system amps up the low tones (humming) and doesn't have enough "rasp" or "bark" of the exhaust impulses unless you're really on it. Maybe it's a turbo thing that is just part of life.

Personally, I'm watching out for a second-hand Dinan F10 535i exhaust to buy and try. In all the videos it sounds fairly similar to my M PE during acceleration, but "NO DRONE" and "Helmholtz chamber" (I think it is) are specifically listed as design features.

If anything but cold start on your Dinan exhaust is "super loud" you could have a problem - defective part or bad installation. Have you ever had an aftermarket exhaust before? From my understanding Dinan is quieter overall than M Performance. Yet there are threads where people say their wives couldn't tell the M PE from stock and it was "too quiet" so they were seeking something louder.

Exhaust sound preferences are subjective - I get it. The stock system is too quiet, and does really detract from my driving experience IMO. When I can drive in the warm seasons with the windows down in a suburban or light rural setting, shifting manually, the M PE sounds nice. But leaving for work at 5-6am in my subdivision is disruptive and not what I'm personally looking for (but I still do it compared to stock). Warm restarts and semi-cold restarts (even parked for a few hours) aren't as severe as overnight cold.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Agrand84
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I will. I haven't had time to take a video yet but I will this weekend.
      07-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Agrand84
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
I used the Dinan on my E60 535i...
It was just the axle back muffler. I will NEVER by another exhaust part from Dinan.
Above 2500rpm and above, it sounded marvelous. But the startup, idle, and low rpm sound was just too deep and loud. A cold start in my condos garage was embarrassing the low muffler tone would vibrate and rumble the walls. Very much so a disturbance of the peace.

Disabling cold start with my MHD tuner, circumvented the startup boom. But the undue bass and volume at throttle tip in were still a problem. I uninstalled the Dinan after a couple of months.

For what this muffler cost, I expected more sophistication. Had Dinan opted to incorporate an OEM like muffler valve this could have been avoided. Had Dinan chosen to make/tune specific mufflers for the 535i and 550i, this may have been avoided. But as delivered, I was less than impressed.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, regarding that companies exhausts. A $150 Magnaflow would have likely been better.

That being said, the muffler did increase power. It did sound great underway. But that low rpm bass and volume were out of character for this car. As a matter of fact, the $660 Apexi full exhaust I had on my old Accord v6 sounded better.

But on to your issue. You have two options to correct it.
1. Remove it. Or.
2. Have a muffler shop werld in an extra resonator/small muffler.
Thats exactly what I thought that for the price this thing has the same deep bass tone as a cheap muffler. I had a 09 TLX SH AWD and I put on 2 magnaflow mufflers that sounded identical to this. I did not want my BMW to sound like a Japanese car.

But just like you said when it gets going it sounds awesome but that low vibrations makes the whole car shake even the seats. I will leave it for now and see how long it'll take me to get annoyed of it. Thank god I didn't pay full price for it. Dinan should be ashamed to put out garbage like that.
      07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Agrand84
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I haven't had an F10 Dinan exhaust, but I did have one on my E39.

Now one thing to note - Dinan made ONE part for the whole E39 non-M5 lineup, and frankly they were probably targeting the 540 (4.4L V8) but I had the 528 (2.8L I6) so I'm not really sure that any of the engineering decisions regarding sound were made with the smaller displacement I6 in mind.

I observed embarrassingly loud COLD starts when the smog pump was running. But cold starts are always loud on any aftermarket exhaust. Every chucklehead with an exhaust youtube video wants to show how loud the cold start is. You'll never get away from loud cold starts except with a factory system IMO, or possibly an aftermarket system with active flaps.

Beyond cold starts, it was great. No drone when cruising - couldn't even tell I had an aftermarket system when at speed and not under acceleration. It had a musical, melodious tone was you wound through the gears 2500-4500 (manual trans of course) and just the right amount of bark when rev match downshifting. Since all 6 cylinders reduced into a single muffler it had a sportier sound - a 6-into-1 is like one bank of a V12 and it sometimes it made people look due to sound character, not volume - they were expecting to see something cool and not a sport package E39. (Each muffler in the F10 535 is fed by 3 cylinders and takes on a completely different character). It didn't sound like a wanna-be poseur system and it wasn't super loud. Right now I have the M Performance exhaust for my 535i and I wish it was more like my E39 Dinan exhaust.

A friend had an E46 Dinan exhaust on a well modified 323i, so it was designed by Dinan specifically for the I6 engines (no V8s in the E46 lineup) and it was quite quiet. Too quiet, in my opinion, for the money spent. I heard some E39 540s (V8) with Dinan exhaust (same part as my exhaust but on the intended vehicle) and it was also kind of quiet overall.

My F10 M PE is not quite the character I want. Cold starts are loud, I get drone 1500-2500 even when on cruise control on level ground and I find that system amps up the low tones (humming) and doesn't have enough "rasp" or "bark" of the exhaust impulses unless you're really on it. Maybe it's a turbo thing that is just part of life.

Personally, I'm watching out for a second-hand Dinan F10 535i exhaust to buy and try. In all the videos it sounds fairly similar to my M PE during acceleration, but "NO DRONE" and "Helmholtz chamber" (I think it is) are specifically listed as design features.

If anything but cold start on your Dinan exhaust is "super loud" you could have a problem - defective part or bad installation. Have you ever had an aftermarket exhaust before? From my understanding Dinan is quieter overall than M Performance. Yet there are threads where people say their wives couldn't tell the M PE from stock and it was "too quiet" so they were seeking something louder.

Exhaust sound preferences are subjective - I get it. The stock system is too quiet, and does really detract from my driving experience IMO. When I can drive in the warm seasons with the windows down in a suburban or light rural setting, shifting manually, the M PE sounds nice. But leaving for work at 5-6am in my subdivision is disruptive and not what I'm personally looking for (but I still do it compared to stock). Warm restarts and semi-cold restarts (even parked for a few hours) aren't as severe as overnight cold.
Thanks for the input really appreciate it. I don't think it's defective it sounds exactly like some videos have it but that deep bass is what I was not expecting. I have had aftermarket exhausts on all my cars but this was the first time I chose to spring for an expensive brand name and not like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. I was initially going to get the M PE but ended up on settling for this one.

I like how it sounds when it moved but same as you I think there is too much deep low tones instead of rasp. I thought M PE exhaust would be better but maybe they are all the same. I'll switch with you haha. That whole no drone and some chamber thing is BS it probably reduces the drone slightly but it's still loud and shakes the car inside at idle or 1500 to 2500 rpm. I checked the work the guy did at the shop and it looked perfect. I will give it time and see how it settles in. Not too many people bought Dinan so I was curious if I was the only person with this complaint.
      07-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
I like how it sounds when it moved but same as you I think there is too much deep low tones instead of rasp. I thought M PE exhaust would be better but maybe they are all the same. I'll switch with you haha. That whole no drone and some chamber thing is BS it probably reduces the drone slightly but it's still loud and shakes the car inside at idle or 1500 to 2500 rpm. I checked the work the guy did at the shop and it looked perfect. I will give it time and see how it settles in. Not too many people bought Dinan so I was curious if I was the only person with this complaint.
If we were closer I would totally be in to "swap" for a few days. I can do the switch in my driveway on ramps in just a few minutes. I've been taking my M PE off for winter just because there's no interesting driving to be done and I don't want the cold start noise. The cut points and installation is identical for Dinan and M PE (from what I've read) so the hard work is already done on our cars.

Anyone else with Dinan closer to Toronto want to swap for a while?
Appreciate 0