2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Impressions (530d)

04-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
J-Raid
Private
Rep
Drives: E46

F10 Impressions (530d)

Hi, had some impressions...actually not mines, but from the chief editor of the mag I work at. Unfortunately I won't have the chance to get behind the wheel of the F10 until July, but till then his feedback is more than valid (and not as PR filtered as something published on the/a magazine).

To put it in short, the highlight is that BMW has tried to create an Audi. Wait don't shoot me, he said the car is awesome, but that it has clearly lost sportiness, and it's now clear the 5er is "just" a small 7 series.

The car tested was a 530d with Active steering and VDC.

In Comfort it was really conformable, in Normal it went great, in Sport and Sport+ it was clearly stiff but still bearable and ok.

He did notice certain lack of communication/feedback, not only from the steering but also the chassis in general. The feel is a bit more artificial than the E60. Though it is important to note that most of his driving was during a rainy day, he warned me, so the artificial thing can't be complete judged. Most likely he will driving it again, so hope I an get more dry feedback.

He encouraged the Active steering, and especially the active stabilizers (included in the Dynamic Drive package) for those really willing to keep the car in the BMW sporty tradition. Said Active steering felt a bit strange at first, but it is just matter of time to get used.

Basically, if you aren't going to be "racing" through a mountain twisty road this car will please you. Though he expected the BMW purists to complain about the tendency of getting closer to an Audi (aka less sportiness), but in exchange it would open to a bigger, new, market of potential buyers.

Now I can't wait to get my own impressions!

PS: I think the car was with 18" rims. Forgot to ask if it was with RFs
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Thanks, good info. When the F10 was in sport mode and the ride was stiff, was it not the usual sporty BMW, with communication and feedback?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What auto gearbox did the car have? Standard or sport?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Perfect for me...a smaller 7 is what I wanted!
Appreciate 0