2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Newbie Ditching the Run-Flats..Need Help!

09-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Docluyan
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 TB/SO

Newbie Ditching the Run-Flats..Need Help!

I am currently in the process of evaluating alternatives to run flats, I'm changing from the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT DSST it came with.I need help with this decision.

The choices are
1-Michelin Pilot Super Sport
2-Bridgestone'sPotenza S-04 Pole Position
3-Continental Extreme Contact DW
4-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
5-Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT
6-Continental Extreme Contact DWS

One important consideration is that I live in Puerto Rico, so that means very frequent pot hole encounters( of the third kind) and tropical weather, therefore any information pertaining to the sidewall strength and/or any other advantages, of any of the above listed tires, when dealing with pot-holes is welcome!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
TF_F10-520d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e Msport

What wheel size are you running?

I got 20" BBS CH-R with Michelin pilot super sport tires and i'm very happy with these.

255/35 front and 295/30 rear.

BMW G05 X5 Xdrive45e M-sport - Air Suspension - Sport automatic - 741M 21" wheels | 275/40-R21 | 315/35-R21 | Nokian Hakkapelliita 9 | Sapphire Black | B&W Diamond Surround Sound | Comfort Seats | Merino Leather | Extended Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
zagaone
Rep
Drives: 550i sport

I'm also in PR with a 2011 550 sport package. After 18 oem(Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop) tires damaged the first year of ownership I installed the same Dunlops but from the 7 series with a bigger sidewall(245/45/19 front & 275/40/19 rear). Have not changed a tire in over a year. Actually wore down the first set of tires. The problem with the oem size is the load index is too low for the weight of the car, specially the front so when the suspension hit a pothole the tire collapse and get cut by the wheel edge. With the higher sidewall there is a higher load index and more space for cushioning the blow before the wheel hit the tire. Just enough to prevent the damage. That is why this tire issue is not as big on the 7 series. There is a small diameter/circunsference diference between sizes but actually works in our favor. Mileage read a little bit slow. I almost traded the car last year before figuring this out. Since then no problems on the same roads with the same holes. No more ding!! ding!! after the impact. Finally was able to enjoy the car. If you switch to no run flat on this same roads is a matter of time before needing a tow truck because of a flat. I was never stranded always made it to the dealer for replacement. No space for a spare. Hope this help.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Docluyan
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 TB/SO

The OE for my 550i with sport package are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT DSST, sizes are: 245/40R19 y 275/35R19, therefore the change you made does add a bit extra sidewall..No Rubbing?..will have to consider that! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
zagaone
Rep
Drives: 550i sport

My actual tires mfg and model is the same that you have and your size is the oem for mine also. No rubbing. The car actually looks better because the taller tires fit the fenderwell better. Is the load index for the tires that goes up a lot and solve the problem. Beware, if you hit a crater no tire will survive. So still be careful. But for the last year the car has hit some very serious holes, that I'm sure would have destroy the oem size tires and got away with no damage. Also the stiffer sidewall of the oem protect better the wheel from damage or wheel bending. Downside is a harsher ride quality than a standard tire. The security of not having to stop to change a tire or worse having to wait for a tow truck in the middle of nowhere or no man land, priceless.
Appreciate 0