2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum warm/cold air dial on the front air vent

03-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M-sport

warm/cold air dial on the front air vent

I was looking at some of our member's pics here and noticed... Some of the cars have 2 on the vent for driver/passenger and just one. As my wife always turns the dial to full blue telling me it's always hot which in turn gets my hands cold... do you only get 2 dial if you option 4 zone climate? can anyone chime with 4 zone option chime in on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
guji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

If case if you wonder what the real purpose of the thing is - The dial is a front air modifier.

For example, when you set the temperature at 69 degrees F but you prefer the front air to be a bit cool, you can turn the dial towards blue and you will get cool air WHILE keeping the average temperature at 69 degrees. On the other hand, if you prefer warmer air from the front vent, you turn it towards the red side.

Actual temperature is controlled by the central air condition so I don't believe it is necessary for everyone to have their own air preference, especially the ones in the rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guji View Post
If case if you wonder what the real purpose of the thing is - The dial is a front air modifier.

For example, when you set the temperature at 69 degrees F but you prefer the front air to be a bit cool, you can turn the dial towards blue and you will get cool air WHILE keeping the average temperature at 69 degrees. On the other hand, if you prefer warmer air from the front vent, you turn it towards the red side.

Actual temperature is controlled by the central air condition so I don't believe it is necessary for everyone to have their own air preference, especially the ones in the rear seats.
yeah, I use it pretty often but there's only 1 dial for 2 of us in the front seat. some of the pictures I've seen here shows 2 dials for left and right passenger/driver. I was wondering if you only get 2dials if you option 4 zone climate. Although I like the dial, I don't like how auto climate works. my 1 series before was completely automatic, I just set the temp and fan speed gets controlled automatically. Now with my F10 I have to set the fan speed and when I want heat fast and then I have to turn it down after it gets warm because fan speed is kept up even with auto setting...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

it's a bad design and it frustrates the hell out of me everytime i think about it. its redundant and counter-purposes itself. guji is right though, thats what the dial does, the digital temp control almost loses its purpose once you mess with the dial, that stupid dial overrides the digital temp control.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
Losco
Second Lieutenant
Japan
Rep

maybe ze germans like hot air on their feet / cold air on their face and vice versa!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
M1rcea
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
maybe ze germans like hot air on their feet / cold air on their face and vice versa!
Hahahaa, strange people these Germans )
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
GGPlena
Private
Rep
Drives: 530d

I think that this is a great feature!

Sometimes when you drive and are a bit tired it is nice to have some cold air towards your face...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
guji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
yeah, I use it pretty often but there's only 1 dial for 2 of us in the front seat. some of the pictures I've seen here shows 2 dials for left and right passenger/driver. I was wondering if you only get 2dials if you option 4 zone climate. Although I like the dial, I don't like how auto climate works. my 1 series before was completely automatic, I just set the temp and fan speed gets controlled automatically. Now with my F10 I have to set the fan speed and when I want heat fast and then I have to turn it down after it gets warm because fan speed is kept up even with auto setting...
I agree.. I found it interested too that I have to set the fan speed and the dial... drove many cars with automatic AC and this is the first time when things are not so automatic.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Since no one else actually answered your question, yes, you only get two red / blue dials if you order the 4 zone climate control.

I, for one, love the red / blue dial. Makes the climate control perfect, IMO.
Appreciate 0