2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes weird noise coming from the front passenger corner

04-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i X-drive

weird noise coming from the front passenger corner

so this weekend i changed the stock springs and installed my H&R springs on my 2013 535i X-drive. Everything was fine until 24hrs after the installation, I started to hear a clicking noise in the front. it was a small clicking noise that i was thinking that maybe it was my aftermarket wheels touching since the new springs on the car are starting to go down.(it wasn't that). I kept driving in the local streets and the noise will come and go until it started to do it louder as i drive straight and as i turn to the left only. It even started to make the noise if I drove on an uneven surface.{it reminded me like when i had my old car and the shocks came off the springs}. I pulled over and check again but i dont see nothing loose, nothing leaking etc.
I took the car today back to the guy who installed my springs and he tells me that it might be the wheel bearing/HUB is nothing to do with the new spring installation since he double check everything and it seems to be fine and tight.

Any suggestion of what it could be???? PLEASE HELP
      04-03-2018, 04:43 AM   #2
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

please help.
      04-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

bump.

Taking the shop to another mechanic and check out what is the problem. hopefully is covered by my warranty that i bought with the car.
      04-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Do you have aftermarket wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Found the problem:

The shop that installed my springs didn't tight the main bolt that is in the center of the wheel hub. That was the noise that was acting up.
The new shop noticed it and now I am replacing the wheel bearing and a new passenger side axel. I called my warranty and placed a claim and I just have to pay $200 for labor cost.
      05-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
NYC535iowner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

clicking noise

I have question to all running H&R springs on their F10 xdrive.

Ever since i installed them i feel that the car is heavy and changes the angle on the front axles. Now today i started to hear a minor clicking noise now coming from the driver side of the car as I turn the wheel all the way. at the moment is not as bad as my passenger side noise from before. I am thinking before i replaced my passenger side axle and now I think i have to replace my driver side axle.

Is any one else is experiencing this problem???
      05-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

you have to remember your stock shocks weren't designed and engineered for those springs. sounds like you're having all kinds of issues now?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:53 PM   #8
DARKKN1GHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

What is the part number of the springs you installed on your xDrive?? I ordered Eibach springs for my xdrive but they only come with the front springs which is weird but i guess they assume the car has airbags in the rear so they dont make a full set of springs for our xdrive cars. Eitherway the shop shouldnt have been messing with the axles or center axle bolt at all to install the springs.. The best way for front of the xdrive cars is to remove the upper control arms bolts and swing it out of the way to remove strut assembly.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
DARKKN1GHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

A bit offtopic but copied this from Eibach's website "PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 2 Springs) E10-20-022-04-20 Front springs only, rear air suspension is adjustable. ; Tested with factory dampers." H&R has more of a drop front and rear and i doubt they tested it to work with stock shocks so thats why im sticking with less drop and eibachs.
Appreciate 0