2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Headlight adjustment

01-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
Bmwfan55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10n55

Hi everyone, hope someone can help. I own a n55 f10 with adaptive headlights. The beam pattern is off, I can see 2 light beams. Does anyone know how to adjust height and width of beam pattern? Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfan55 View Post
...I own a n55 f10 with adaptive headlights. The beam pattern is off, I can see 2 light beams. Does anyone know how to adjust height and width of beam pattern? Thanks for the help.
???

Not sure what your description of two light beams is...but the left and right are not supposed to be the same. If the beam throw on the driver’s side was the same as the passenger side...you would be blinding oncoming traffic. The driver’s side is different than the passenger side. You can get an idea of the pattern in the illustration below of the variable light distribution (even though the US DOT has gutted this feature as its supposed to function)...take note of #1 that shows the conventional headlight beam pattern:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
Bmwfan55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10n55

Yes, thanks for your help. What I mean is that when I got the car, if I was close to a wall, you'll see the light beam from both headlight seamlessly blending together, the top being a straight line and even distribution of light pattern in center. Now I can see a left headlight pattern and right, it somehow needs to be recalibrated, light beam from headlights don't really blend as one. So my question was how can I recalibrate headlights. Most cars have a set of screws to do so, I need help on knowing what screws I need to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Here are the locations but without the aiming machine I wouldn’t recommend it.

Adjusting headlights

Comply with test prerequisites for headlight adjustment.

Caution!
Do not damage adjusting screws when adjusting headlights.

Remove lid (1) and turn sealing cap (2) in direction of arrow and remove.

Carry out headlight adjustment at adjusting screws below openings (1) and (2).
Adjustment screw primarily for vertical adjustment
Adjusting screw primarily for lateral adjustment
Adjust the height at the adjusting screw (1)
US version only:
Only carry out the setting of the lateral adjustment when the securing plug in the adjusting screw for the lateral adjustment is missing or damaged
Make the lateral adjustment at adjusting screw (2)
US version only:
Press new plugs into the adjusting screw for the lateral adjustment without damaging it.

Attention: for height adjustment of LED headlights F01, F02, F03!
If necessary, required height adjustment may only be carried out through height adjustment of LED headlights (turn adjusting screw (1) anticlockwise)
1. LED headlight adjusted too low:
Adjust LED headlight higher to correct dimension at adjusting screw (1) (turn adjusting screw (1) anticlockwise)
2. LED headlight adjusted too high:
Adjust LED headlight at adjusting screw (1) too low (turn adjusting screw (1) clockwise). Only afterwards adjust LED headlight higher to correct dimension at adjusting screw (1) (turn adjusting screw (1) anticlockwise)
After headlight adjustment:
Perform reference run. To do so, switch the LED headlight off and on. Check headlight adjustment once again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0