2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain, transmission malfunction and partially available parking brake

11-15-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
aa7125
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 520d

Unhappy Drivetrain, transmission malfunction and partially available parking brake

Greetings!
I am a BMW F11 520d N47 owner.
In the past week my car has started to randomly pop up with a drivetrain malfunction. Today, my ride on the car has started a symphony with the "gong" sound. In the span of 20 minutes of riding, my car popped up several times with "Drivetrain malfunction", "transmission malfunction", and "Parking brake only available partially". The car drives fine with no issues, but the gongs are driving me crazy
Could it be due to moisture? (It has been raining quite a lot here, as well as sometimes its 0 degrees celsius)
I have read about PDM issues but only about the X3 models. The dealership for BMW is 300kms away, so I would like to avoid going there.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 04:51 PM   #2
mwnbr
Mark
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

I had similar last week on my F10 M5. I had some seven different warnings, some the same as yours, plus others such as power steering issues, pedestrian protection system, rear differential. Oh, and these issues occurred in cold and wet weather.

I did a lot of reading online, and it seemed it could be connected to Fuse 2 in the glove box. I removed the fuse and replaced but the issues remained. I took the car to a garage to resolve, and it turned out to be Fuse 2. The problems remained but following reset all was then good.

Hope yours is as simple as mine to resolve.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 03:40 AM   #3
PSD
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa7125 View Post
Greetings!
I am a BMW F11 520d N47 owner.
In the past week my car has started to randomly pop up with a drivetrain malfunction. Today, my ride on the car has started a symphony with the "gong" sound. In the span of 20 minutes of riding, my car popped up several times with "Drivetrain malfunction", "transmission malfunction", and "Parking brake only available partially". The car drives fine with no issues, but the gongs are driving me crazy
Could it be due to moisture? (It has been raining quite a lot here, as well as sometimes its 0 degrees celsius)
I have read about PDM issues but only about the X3 models. The dealership for BMW is 300kms away, so I would like to avoid going there.
Cheers!
I have exactly the same problem in my F11 520d - did you ever resolve this at all?

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by PSD; 01-03-2024 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Added more text
Appreciate 0