2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 idle speed

01-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #1
fotontom
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i E82 M-Sport, 528i F10

F10 idle speed

I'm new to my 2011 N52 F10, but not new to the N51 / N52 engine. My prior and current E52's (in the 1-series) idled around 650 rpm, whether it was a manual or automatic trans. The F10 idles at 950 rpm, has the 8-speed ZF trans.

I've read ambiguous posts from other forums about a possible poor ground in the electrical system as the cause, but like I say, it was difficult to follow. I've searched this forum for an answer, but cannot seem to find one. My F10 came from a dry climate. there was no evidence of rust or corrosion anywhere.

Is there a fix, or can the idle speed be adjusted downward through any kind of programming tool? If so, what works best? It's hard for me to believe that an automatic should idle this high.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 03:45 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotontom View Post
I'm new to my 2011 N52 F10, but not new to the N51 / N52 engine. My prior and current E52's (in the 1-series) idled around 650 rpm, whether it was a manual or automatic trans. The F10 idles at 950 rpm, has the 8-speed ZF trans.

I've read ambiguous posts from other forums about a possible poor ground in the electrical system as the cause, but like I say, it was difficult to follow. I've searched this forum for an answer, but cannot seem to find one. My F10 came from a dry climate. there was no evidence of rust or corrosion anywhere.

Is there a fix, or can the idle speed be adjusted downward through any kind of programming tool? If so, what works best? It's hard for to believe that an automatic should idle this high.
The DME sets the engine idle speed base on the crankshaft sensor and the Electromotive throttle actuator...but will also vary engine idle speed when idling depends on different conditions, for example coolant temperature or power requirement of the auxiliary components.

Here are few 1st steps I would take:

1. Pull BMW codes (not OBDII codes) and post them
2. Pull the intake boot to gain access to the throttle plate, and debris or FOD could be keeping the throttle plate from fully closing, which can be remedied using some CRC Throttle Body cleaner on it

Cheers.
Appreciate 0