2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum should i buy 2011 535i???????

08-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfa372 View Post
There is a huge difference between being moneysmart and owning a BMW.

If you actually price out a BMW, they tend to be about the same if you can get a good deal. My personal example:

I bought a 2011 328Xi CPO (w/ 17,500 miles) for just $21,500. It was a hell of a deal and this was in 2012. I drove it for a year and a half and it had 35k miles when I sold it privately for $20k. Net cost to run the car for 1.5 years was $100 + insurance + gas. My dad bought a 2011 Honda Insight brand new for $21,000. At the time I sold my car, it was worth $14,500. His cost to run the car for 1.5 years was $6,500 + insurance + gas + maintenance.

Sure I spent more on gas and insurance, but my actual cost was LESS than him. I drove a nicer, faster, better-equipped car, however he was driving a new car, while I was driving a gently used second-hand car.

Even now, people see my car and they imediately think I am spoiled or I wasted money since I am only 19. However, I have already met all my financial obligations. I paid my tuition and have money set aside for the rest of my duration in college, have an emergency savings fund that I can live off of for 3-4 months W/O working, and I can pay for all my expenses. I do have a slush fund for fun which primarily goes into my car for parts, however, I NEVER stretch myself too thin. I have no kids, house, wife, or other things that require a financial commitment.

When I went to buy my car, the dealer tried pushing me a lease on an M5, while I could afford it, it would not put me in a comfortable financial position, which is why I bought a used-CPO 5-series.

Now you're talking about buying a 5-series that has OVER 100k miles in a few short years. If something were to go wrong, you are instantly looking at a repair bill for a few hundred at the least but it can easily go into the thousands. My 2011 328 started getting a grinding noise when I turned the wheel and a clunking noise. The bill was for $3,700.

Unless you are ready to drop some major dough if something goes wrong, save your money and buy a newer, lower mileage BMW.
Sounds like you've thought ahead - CPO car, money in the bank for emergencies, slush fund for fun... and at 19! Good for you! Turning down a new M5 because you know it's an irresponsible thing to do - that's will power, especially at 19 years old!

$3,700 repair bill on a "grinding noise" on a 3-series - and if that were a 5, I'm sure you could bump that price up. Chad, are you listening?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post
If I ever meet you in real life I will personally give you a cookie.
Now, when you say "cookie" you're just talking about the baked dough kinda cookie, right?? I appreciate it, man - I think many of us have given Chad loads of good advice on this subject from back several months ago already - hopefully some of it is making its way through.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #25
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Ezmass

Beautifully said ! There's absolutely no reason why you (Chad) or anyone shouldn't take what ezmass said into heavy consideration. His advice is spot on, and probably will be the last of its kind that you will hear anywhere.

I remember when I was looking for a newer car a few years back (had to be in 2010 as I graduated HS and wanted a present for myself). I had the e39 and wanted to get into something more powerful and redesigned. I considered the e60 545 when passing by a dealer's lot and fell in love. It was white with the sport package, fully optioned out and selling for $23,000. Perfect ! Until I saw it had 75,000 miles and my Dad realized the front bumper was repainted poorly. I tried to convince my Dad to love the car as much as I did despite the high miles and shoddy paint work but he explained to me the dangers of owning a high mileage 6 year old V8 (which I would keep another 5 years as I would still be repaying the loan bringing total ownership to 11 years). I took his advice and with a heavy heart I moved on. My friend ended up buying the car and showing it off to me (I hated him for that) until he had valve stem failure a year later. Dealer quoted him $10,000 but he replaced the engine for $6,000 out the door. Shortly after that he discovered that the car was hit pretty bad in the front (which is why the bumper was repainted) and various components were damaged and needed replacement. $2000 repair bill. To make a long story short, he couldn't pay the car off due to the unexpected repairs and using his money that should've been for his car payment WITH the repair money (that's a different story for a different time). Over a 2.5 year period he spent almost $10,000 on repairs alone. Now his credit is shot and he can't think about getting into a house anytime soon. That could've been me.

Chad

The truth is you can't afford the car right now. Your looking to buy a car with a $55,000 plus MSRP and miles over 100k within a 3 year period. That find was at the bottom of the barrel and if you have to search that low just to get into the F10 then you better put more thought into this. I know it sounds like I'm a jerk but the truth only comes in one flavor. You recently bought your 545i, and if it was financed through a loan, your still making payments at present, and will be for a few years. If you bought it cash outright, then you need time to recover and should be using your money and time to establish a petty cash fund for repairs. At the end of every month, put a fraction or percentage of what would've been your car's payment into this fund to save for unexpected repairs in the future. For Ex: You would've been paying $500 a month, so you decide to save 40% of that amount equaling to $200 saved every month. Do NOT touch this money for anything except unexpected repairs and set a predetermined dollar amount (say any repair equaling to or surpassing XX% of your monthly salary where it would take X days to gather. This might be a bit confusing but once I construct a model and put in some more numbers you'll understand. The key here is that you MUST structure your finances properly and have enough "room" to adjust to any unexpected change or you will become overwhelmed and risk damaging your credit very fast. Remember, if one payment on any debt is 30 days or more late, you will never be able to have 100% on time payments again. Provided you pay all your bills ontime from that time forward, you will be at 99% max.

Lets establish a scenario. You now live in NYC and make $40,000 per annum
(The following are all approximations and based off NYS and NYC tax information, 0 federal allowances, 0 dependents, independent status and filing single. Assume you have no rent and utilities expense due to living with your parents, but you decide to eat out often and as a result incur food expenses. I also tried rounding some figures up to the dollar.)

Gross
Annual Salary $40,000
Monthly Salary $3,334
Bi-Weekly Pay $1,667

Net Tax
Annual Salary $28,000
Monthly Salary $2,334
Bi-Weekly $1,167

Monthly Expenses
Food $210
Gas (Fuel) $200
Car note $600
Insurance $175
Mics Expenses $150

Total Monthly Expenses $1335

Income (Net Taxes and Expenses) $999
The above is the money you can decide to spend or save. Its the left overs after paying taxes and expenses.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the model is completed. Can you spot whats off in the above example? The "Car Note" expense happens to be almost 3x the amount of the next highest expense (Food). It also happens to be almost 25% of your monthly salary net taxes. In the next model, I'll try to implement what I was saying before about establishing a petty cash fund for unexpected expenses, using 40% of what would've been the car note as the monthly addition.

Gross
Annual Salary $40,000
Monthly Salary $3,334
Bi-Weekly Pay $1,667

Net Tax
Annual Salary $28,000
Monthly Salary $2,334
Bi-Weekly $1,167

Monthly Expenses
Food $210
Gas (Fuel) $200
Insurance $175
Mics Expenses $150

Total Monthly Expenses $735

Assets
Petty Cash Fund Established for Unexpected Car Repairs ($600 for previous car note x 40%) $240

Income (Net Taxes and Expenses) $1359

Ok, so now that's better ! As you may have noticed there are quite a few changes to this model. First, the subtraction of the "car note" from your monthly expenses, second the creation of an asset account entitled "Petty Cash Fund ..", third a number assigned to the Petty Cash Fund (which I briefly explained above) and fourth the addition of $360 to your Monthly Income Net Taxes and Expenses. Note that even though you are setting the $240 aside from your salary to your fund, it is not counted as an expense. Reason being is you can always use the money from your fund to pay for something in the future because it is something you own not owe. To put it simply I'll ask you this rhetorically: You need a cooling system overhaul which costs X amount of dollars. Can you use the money set aside for your car's repayment which was promised to your debtor on specified days of the month as per your agreement or can you use the money you set aside from your salary which you promised to yourself to cover events such as the one taking place at present? There you go.

Now in this latest model you will notice that you gained $360 to your income net taxes and expenses as a result of the difference between what would've been the car note ($600) minus the $240 you set aside for the fund. Its a win-win because now you have a fund for the car and an extra $360 in your pocket. In the event of something unexpected happening, like you need to take your girlfriend out on a special night, you can afford to use $100 without needing to subtract from your income (nt&e). Additionally, the fund is only 10% of your monthly salary (net taxes).

I want to draw your attention to the points of why this model is better than the others:

- It allows you more "wiggle room"
- It grants you more money in your pocket after paying various expenses
- It helps you to structure your finances and gives you options on where to put your money and what and how to cover unexpected expenses (which may arise at any time)
- It aids you in living within your financial means and gives you a financial road map on planning for your future

The final model will be an example of what others have been warning you against. Purchasing a car that has the potential for expensive repairs in the future while trying to maintain car note repayments.

Gross
Annual Salary $40,000
Monthly Salary $3,334
Bi-Weekly Pay $1,667

Net Tax
Annual Salary $28,000
Monthly Salary $2,334
Bi-Weekly $1,167

Monthly Expenses
Food $210
Gas (Fuel) $200
Car note $600
Insurance $175
Mics Expenses $150
Unexpected car repair expense (one time expense not continuous)$ 1500

Total Monthly Expenses $2835

Income (Net Taxes and Expenses) $-501

We have a huge problem here! Its evident you cannot afford the expense of having your car repaired this month! With no fund established to give you leverage and after paying your other bills you don't have enough to cover your car's repair. Your actually negative (loss) in the event that this repair must take place within this month (maybe you depend on your car heavily to get to work and without it you have no means of transport). Even if you leave your car home and take the bus or train to work you still owe that car note and have to pay insurance. Additionally, the money that would've been spent on gas expense is now a transportation expense and may increase due to more frequent use. Even if you zero'd out food and misc expenses, you still wouldn't "break-even".

Does this clear things up a bit? I could go on to show you what an end of the year balance sheet would look like if you started saving $240 towards the fund for 12 months and incurred an unexpected expense versus not saving and having the expense but I think you got the jist of it.

Conclusively, I hope that by enjoining numbers to various scenarios, you will be able to see what others here are trying to tell you more clearly. We are all car enthusiasts and are here to learn more about our cars and in doing so we just may find out more about ourselves. One thing I learned is there are far reaching influences from every spectrum of the forum as we all come from different walks of life each with our own unique experiences and perspectives. There is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped and that is evident by the people who took time and effort to read and respond to your thread. Don't take the seriousness of our responses lightly because you see words pop up on a screen and not our faces. It is imperative that you take a good look at the suggestions provided and try to extract even one point that makes sense to you. Poor long term planning and the notion of "it is better to live today and forget about tomorrow" is what led to the economic decline and collapse a few years ago. In order to balance and maintain various liabilities at the same time one must have an impeccably organized, detailed and meticulous financial system in place. Unfortunately, many maintain their liabilities without balance and live "on the edge" for much of their lives. Seriously, life is too short for that. Take your time and plan things right. Build on what you already have and never start something new without finishing the old first, and in due time, you will be enjoying the finer things in life comfortably.

Best of luck

- Mr. Clean
      08-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #26
top6491
MSGT USMC (Ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad20 View Post
Ya I decided not to get it cause the mileage and the fact it sold in the first day it was listed .I'll just wait until the right one comes along . I'm enjoying my 545i but I'll be transferring to an Elk Grove dealership in around 6 months for work so my commute will bump to 45 mins per day and the fuel economy on the 545i is not very good .
Well, it's not as bad as you think, depending on how you drive. I averaged about 18.5 mpg combined hwy/city with the 545, and now about 22 with the 535, not that big of a difference. We all worked our ways up to the 5 series cars, I started with a two year old E46 325 with 25K miles that was awesome, then the E60 545, and now the F10 535, but I make over $150K year now. Have fun with the 545 now, drive sensible and your gas costs will not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #27
Chad20
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i sapphire black stock;/

Thanks for your responses. Mr clean and ezmaas I do take your advice seriously and therefore have decided to just focus on paying off the rest of my 545i. Buying a 30,000$ BMW would be a tight squeeze right now . Maybe in a year from now when I have my 545i paid off and can get a low mileage f10 535i or 550i .
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #28
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad20 View Post
Thanks for your responses. Mr clean and ezmaas I do take your advice seriously and therefore have decided to just focus on paying off the rest of my 545i. Buying a 30,000$ BMW would be a tight squeeze right now . Maybe in a year from now when I have my 545i paid off and can get a low mileage f10 535i or 550i .
Congratulations on a smart decision, Chad! Pay off that 545i ASAP. DEBT FREE is the life you want!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #29
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Get a Toyota Camry
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Congratulations on a smart decision, Chad! Pay off that 545i ASAP. DEBT FREE is the life you want!
Well, I wish it's that simple since our entire economy works on debt. Instead of paying cash for my car, I took a loan instead at 2%. I took the cash I would've paid and invest it in something yielding around 7-8%. Many people may think that young folks can't pull this off. I can tell you only your mind prevents you from doing this. It's a numbers game. You just have to figure how to win and execute thoroughly.

The rule of 7 says your investment will double in about 7 years if it's just average gains. If you can manage to time the financial market and get a 0% APR loan, then you can buy a car pretty much for free after 7 years. But even at 2% APR, it's really not that bad. Most of my investments end up doubling in 5 years or less anyways.

But first you need large sum of cash right? You can only make money with money right? Wrong. You can get that easily too. I started with a subsidized school loan(0%) when I was in college. Instead of spending that money like everyone else. I got a job and bought a house while still in college. Rented it out and lived in it. Sold it for a large profit when I moved away. Since then, I've been using creative financing to get everything for "free".

Even expensive toys can easily be obtained for free. I wanted a Canon 5D MK3 w/ 1.2L and a new Macbook Pro 15" Retina to get into photography. Instead of paying over $6k for it, I waited for cheap ones on craiglist. Then sold it on amazon where it is sold at a much higher price.

After reselling 4 macbooks, 3 cameras, and 4 lenses. I had the exact Camera, lens and Macbook I want for free. It took 2 months. My total labor hours spent of packaging, driving, research etc... is 9 hours.

Sorry if I went off tangent but I'm just making a point that anything can be obtained by anyone. You just have to know what tools you have and figure it out. I will never discourage someone to settle for less than what they want. I don't think we should tell Chad to delay that dream for 5-10 years. Life is short. If you want something, figure out how to get it without being at the mercy of the bank. Time may be the best way to get what you want but time is the only limited resource every human would have. Instead of wasting time, use your brain.
Appreciate 0