2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum AC Condenser Leaks

08-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
CAF10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

AC Condenser Leaks

My AC went out on me just in time for summer. I took the car to the dear and they said the AC condenser has a leak and determined it was caused by object impact. The best thing was it's not covered under warrantee since it's deemed as an "external influence" and a repair bill for $1600. It must be a small object since no impacts marks on grills or bumper. I never had an AC condenser go out in 2.5 years old car before. I done some researches and found out that I'm not alone with bad luck that objects impacting the AC condenser. It appears to be systemic issues with our car design and the AC condenser. Furthermore, there are already three different iterations of part nos for the same condenser. Do you have a design flaw here, why three condenser part nos already? Please let me know if any other F10s have the same issue. Of course I'm fighting this with BMWNA, the more complaints we have the better chance they will issue a TSB and honor the repair under the warrantee.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
xd
Rep
Drives: 525d Touring Xdrive

mostly related to europe in the threads but may help http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985990

or on another forum
bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753066
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
DDarkEnergy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 Auto 2013

It is a manufacturing fault.

Just got my car back with a new condenser replaced under guarantee.
It took about 8 weeks, since I took the car to the dealer, to get the part from BMW. It is not related to stone damage, it is a manufacturing fault.
If the dealer insist with the stone damage line ask them to prove that it was damaged by a stone. Before doing that I suggest to inspect the front grille to see if there is any indication of stone damage like impact or scratches . Any stone has to first go through the grille before reaching the condenser.

You are not alone, in another blog ( http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=5&t=161859) I wrote this:

There have been many reports regarding A/C condenser failure. It is probably a manufacturing failure.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/98474-air-con-woes/
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985990
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f15 ... e-t224938/

I'm personally very doubtful about the A/C condenser being damaged by a stone hit because:

1 - It seems that only relatively recent 5ers are affected, less than two years old ones.
2 - There is no report of damage to the front grille.
3 - There is no reported damage to the intercooler that is located much closer to the ground and it is much less protected.
4 - There is no reported damage to the radiator. I agree that this is not expected if the condenser covers the whole of the radiator, but I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the the condenser covers only the upper left corner of the radiator (as seen from the front).
5 - Finally, what are the chances of a sudden increase of stone condenser damage correlated with BMW accepted condenser manufacturing problems?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
CAF10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Dealer called and informed me that the condenser part is back ordered, no release date given. I hope I don't have to wait 8 weeks like you. This is not acceptable, any F10 lawyers drivers on this site? Are there any other avenue beside complaining to BMWNA or BMW? I'm surprised that I have not heard from many other US F10 drivers. I believe both US and European models use the same condenser.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

My 2011 had the same issue.. This is a known problem with the f10
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #6
nocturnalguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328ix F30

Rock hit ac condenser

Hi everybody, I just had the same problem (2013 328-f30). BMW says a rock hit the condenser, $1700 Canadian, comprehensive covered it minus the deductible. Since the condenser is the first thing past the grill, does anyone know how to protect it while still having airflow?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
hawkjr1
Retired US Army/Police Officer
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport, E-92

Garage List
Last summer my A/C went out on my 2013 535i. When I took it in the first thing they said it is probably leaking from the condenser that was caused by some object striking it. They gave me an estimate of over $1000. They also advised me to contact my insurance company (GEICO) which I did. I called GEICO and they advised me that they will need to send someone out to the car dealer to see if it was damaged from road debris and it will take a few days. Well for me it turned out to be a leak from the O-rings at the line connections. It was fixed under the warranty.Your insurance company may be an option for you.