2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M Sport or DHP

12-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
highland pete you need to look further the adaptive drive system in the x5 .... overall the dhp in the 5 series is the most short changed of all and if you reach out to bmw techs it is predominately a vertical stabilization system…
F10/11 Adaptive Drive follows a very similar design philosophy to the E70 X5, from reading BMW data. The F10 VDC system (like the F01 & F07) is more advanced, using CDC 2e in ZF Sachs terminology. Plus a similar ARS configuration.

When you say "short changed in the 5-series", how do you mean? Design, components, software, or how it is implemented?

What is it about the 5-series VDC you don't like? Something to do with its two proportional valve control, for separate compression and rebound damping? Or what?

Obviously it is not as EDC in the M-cars, although M3, 4 & 5 all use three dynamic modes these days. Not like the E90/92 M3 with EDC-K with two controlled programs and the Sport setting running fixed, uncontrolled damping.

I guess you'd like to see something like EDC-K with the fixed Sport setting applied to the 5-series. Rather than three base programs all running adaptive damping.

How do you rate the 1 & 3-series Adaptive M-sport suspension? OK, it has lowered sport springs in most applications (xDrive excluded) but limited damping, as it is a two mode adaptive system with less sophisticated dampers than further up the ranges.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #46
twssas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi, 2018 X5, 2014 Z4

Well, we finally had an opportunity to test drive a DHP equipped vehicle.

Drove a 2015 550 Msport with DHP. Pretty impressive. Handling was great, steering feel very good. I put the chassis in sport, and left the transmission in comfort, among other combinations, and although the steering feel wasnt as heavy as out 2010 e60 sport, it was still very good. We took a couple of ramps off the interstate with tight curves well above the suggested speed limits and car did fantastic.

Then we drove a 2015 535 with Msport only. With the Msport, I could not mix/match chassis/transmission like I did with the DHP car, and it was with all sport, all comfort, all eco, etc. Steering still felt very good, but the same off ramps, wasnt quite as impressive. Still was good, but I thought the DHP performed better.

I actually thought you could configure chassis/transmission on either set up, but apparently not.

Did not have an opportunity to drive on any rough roads, was all interstate/off ramps/city streets, which is typical of wifes everyday driving anyway.

She preferred the 550 with the DHP. So looks like I am narrowing the build now to a vehicle with DHP. I really dont want to spend the money on Msport with DHP, since it would be mostly cosmetic, but do love that Msport steering wheel!

So, I am toying with the idea of a no-line build and pick DHP as an option. So, is my assumption correct, with DHP, whether it is a no-line, luxury line, or Msport, the DHP suspension would be the same on all 3 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:40 AM   #47
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

DHP suspension should be the same across all lines and no line.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #48
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
DHP suspension should be the same across all lines and no line.
Correct.
However BMW doesn't give it to a 520: such an F10 seems to be big enough to pay margins to BMW dealership but still too small to get the bloody DHP. Too many folks worldwide just cannot afford a twofold ownership cost because of the local taxes on engine volume and power are too high. That means, such an engine volume based restriction of functionality by BMW is a pure discrimination.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #49
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
Correct.
However BMW doesn't give it to a 520: such an F10 seems to be big enough to pay margins to BMW dealership but still too small to get the bloody DHP. Too many folks worldwide just cannot afford a twofold ownership cost because of the local taxes on engine volume and power are too high. That means, such an engine volume based restriction of functionality by BMW is a pure discrimination.
In the US, any car that has a combined fuel economy rating of at least 22.5 MPG is not subject to the gas guzzler tax. Even the 535i is not subject to the gas guzzler tax. Maybe BMW figures that the 520i does not really a high performance powertrain, so why give it a high performance suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #50
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
In the US, any car that has a combined fuel economy rating of at least 22.5 MPG is not subject to the gas guzzler tax. Even the 535i is not subject to the gas guzzler tax. Maybe BMW figures that the 520i does not really a high performance powertrain, so why give it a high performance suspension.
OK, this is very convenient. But there is many countries that apply sales tax that makes the purchase price double at once, or horsepower tax that make the bigger engines cost too high per year, regardless of mileage. Middle class people start to look at the smaller engines, and then BMW says: you guys are too small, not enough volume bought to have this and that. I believe, this is not fair, and that is what I mean.
Appreciate 0