2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Brake Pads and Dust

08-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Brake Pads and Dust

I purchased a CPO 2011 535 almost 4 months ago and notice that my rear wheels are covered in brake dust after about 4 or 5 days after a wash, but my front wheels stay relatively clean. I have owned 2 other BMW's in the past and this is opposite of what I am used to. I believe that BMW is finally using OEM brake pads that produce very little dust, so my conclusion is that when my rear brakes were changed (the CPO report shows my car got new rear brakes and 4 new tires) the "old style" pads were installed. Do you think I have any chance of having BMW cover the cost of new pads due to brake dust since F10's no longer have this issue? Obviously it will be a long while until I need rear brakes again so I don't want to wait until then. Another point to note is that I live in NY, but purchased my car from BMW of SF and had it shipped to me, so I would not be going back to where I purchased the vehicle to request this.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I still haven't gotten this resolved. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bake View Post
I would think they're not going to replace it because of the amount of break dust, but you never know. Then again, my windshield wipers were fine and the service adviser just randomly offered to change them for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
I purchased a CPO 2011 535 almost 4 months ago and notice that my rear wheels are covered in brake dust after about 4 or 5 days after a wash, but my front wheels stay relatively clean. I have owned 2 other BMW's in the past and this is opposite of what I am used to. I believe that BMW is finally using OEM brake pads that produce very little dust, so my conclusion is that when my rear brakes were changed (the CPO report shows my car got new rear brakes and 4 new tires) the "old style" pads were installed. Do you think I have any chance of having BMW cover the cost of new pads due to brake dust since F10's no longer have this issue? Obviously it will be a long while until I need rear brakes again so I don't want to wait until then. Another point to note is that I live in NY, but purchased my car from BMW of SF and had it shipped to me, so I would not be going back to where I purchased the vehicle to request this.
Same thing is happening on my 550i but i put new brake pads last summer. I've also noticed that the rears wear down much quicker that the front. not sure if its cause of the stability control using the rear brakes to correct the car all the time or what. Just like you my old BMWs dust up quicker on the front wheels than the rear. hmmmmm????
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I never did bring it in for this. My free maintenance is up in 2 weeks and I am leaning towards just replacing the pads myself with Akebono ceramic brake pads. From what I have read they are virtually dustless and stopping power is not compromised for normal street driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
SteelersF10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW F10 550

Quote:
I never did bring it in for this. My free maintenance is up in 2 weeks and I am leaning towards just replacing the pads myself with Akebono ceramic brake pads. From what I have read they are virtually dustless and stopping power is not compromised for normal street driving.
Akebonos are the best. I changed mine out myself. Very low dust.....
      04-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
BMW say that if you drive in the city the car adjusts the brakes for more rear bias (hence the rear brakes used more) for a smoother less brake dive type stop.
When you frequent the highway/freeway it does more front bias like normal.
Thats why i heard....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep

Quote:
"BMW" say that if you drive in the city the car adjusts the brakes for more rear bias (hence the rear brakes used more) for a smoother less brake dive type stop.
When you frequent the highway/freeway it does more front bias like normal.
Thats what i heard....
Appreciate 0