2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums EUROPE - CONTINENTAL Bus powered USB splitter

03-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Holzgerlingen
Rep
Drives: 535ix

Bus powered USB splitter

Does anyone know if I can hook up an external USB hub to the USB port in the arm rest? I have an odd requirement: I'll be living in Germany for one more year but my 535ix is American spec. In order for me to have the European maps for the navigation system I have to have a memory stick plugged into the only USB port (in the arm rest--no more glove box USB in 2013 model). By having the only USB port occupied with the nav maps stick I cannot play my iPod classic with full functionality--the AUX cable completely destroys the fidelity of the music and you don't get iPod functions on the screen.

In case someone is curious, I cannot download the maps to the hard drive. The stick MUST be in the USB port at all times or I will lose the maps completely.

So to summarize, I would like to have a bus powered USB splitter plugged into the one USB port that will accommodate both the USB stick for the Nav system and one for the iPod classic--WILL THE CAR'S PROCESSOR MULTI-TASK? CAN IT BE DONE?

Last edited by Holzgerlingen; 03-09-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

I live in German and have a US spec car. Do you have USB port in the glovebox?

Interested in learning about how you got the European maps. I have them loaded, but they are a few years old. Where did you get yours?
Appreciate 0