2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)

12-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #309
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Yeah, i have the 2 batteries also, its for the 24 Volts for the electric steering
In which model, your F10?

So all cars with active steering have two batteries?

Interesting if so!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #310
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
In which model, your F10?

So all cars with active steering have two batteries?

Interesting if so!

Thanks.
i have a 550i made March of 2010, executive package i believe.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #311
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
i have a 550i made March of 2010, executive package i believe.
Wow; news to me!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #312
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Wow; news to me!

Thanks.
Yeah this thing is loaded with all kinds of bells and whistles. when you open the floor board in the trunk, it looks like some sort of electrical distribution panel. Wires everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #313
550i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 xdrive

I purchased a 2011 550i xdrive in he beginning of last December 2014. I parked my car one time in a drive way. The car began to hesitate and shake and kind of felt like it wanted to stall which btw it did. I took it to the dealership now mind you this was this in January. My sales associate told me about the recall. Injector pumps were replaced as a couple other things I forget what else but I have the receipt in my glove box. All was at the dealer expense! NOW my warranty expired this August that just passed. I didn't extend it because of the price and the length of warranty I was getting!! Sooooo

since August the car has been very jerky and hesitant. I can gradually give it more gas or pin it doesn't matter and the acceleration is jerky it kind of feels like turbo lag. It feels like a robot in slow motion. As the car continues to reach every mph until I let go of the gas. It's annoying because it isn't a smooth pull makes me feel like I'm driving a piece of shit.

I was driving over the gotheals bridge, nj .. some stupid grand Cherokee tempted me. I hit about 95!! I slowed down alittle and just when I knocked it down to low 80s and I went over a hill I guess I would call it. The AWD system malfunctioned now mind you this also happened back in August where I went over a mini bridge and was only doing like 25-35mph and it malfunctioned then too !! The car restricts the power and you can't accelerate. I slowed down and pulled over and turned the car off .. I turned it back on and it was fine idk what the hell that was all about I find it odd how that happens just a couple weeks after the warranty expires !! ANYWAY . . .

ssooooooo I'm racing this idiot and after I go over this bump which I anticipated and breaker specifically for .. THE AWD MALFUNCTIONED ..I had this jerk off riding my ass I had to flip my hazards on and I just let it roll and I gradually came to a complete stop on the fucking bridge. I repeated the same process turned it off and and then back on again. Car was fine!

The following day I drive out to queens it was raining I was just driving casual under 60mph nothing exciting. I get to my boys house and I follow him to this body shop we were checking out an estimate. It's local so I can't do anymore than 30-45 but on some turns and some blocks let's just say we werent driving like a normal local drivers ? !!! anyway so I park the car and turn it off .. so we're talking to the guy shake hands leave and head to another place.

I get in the car press the ignition then put the car in reverse and the entire car began to shake like a fucking earth quake !!!! I panicked so I put it back in park turned it off and then turned it back on .. I put it in reverse tried to pull out and it continued to shake I could barely give it gas like it wouldn't move. The check engine light came on after it stopped shaking and than the AWD system malfunction came up.

WTF DO I DO ??

btw during that day earlier in the day before the gotheals incident. I drove from Elizabeth Nj to Asbury Nj which is about a 45min drive it's about 20-25miles away. I went with my girl to the outlets to do some Christmas shopping. I drove for over 30mins straight doing 90+ which I have never been able to do anywhere going AND coming back. I'm always doing under 75 and that's back and forth going from 40-65mph and if I push it alittle it's only to about 85-95 and than I drop it down for obvious reasons.

I find this weird how I have a check engine light now.

I was just curious if anyone has had any issue and if this is related to the N63 campaign recall ?? how did you fix this issue ? because I've already had pumps and stuff swapped out and since I'm not under warranty do I still qualify for this fix even though it's already been done ??

Help me please lol I BOUGHT THIS CAR OUT last December and I'm regretting it so much !!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #314
HermanRubin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550 GT

N63 Engine Longevity & Customer Care Package

I purchased a CPO 2011 550 GT several months ago and during a routine service call at the dealership found that they had performed a set of services labeled "Customer Care Package" (CCP) at no cost. I have had no problems with the car, but upon further investigation via Google discovered all kinds of issues alleged to affect all N63 engines, which the CCP is intended to address.

Many owners believe the CCP is only a bandaid and the issues, including premature battery failure, oil burning, fuel injector failure, etc. (there are others) will resurface and, once any warranties expire (new car or CPO), owners will be on the hook for continuing repairs due to a poor engine design.

I have owned BMWs for many years. I generally keep my cars for ten years and have not had to face exorbitant maintenance costs until now. But I wonder if all of the negativity around the N63 is justified.

For example, I had a 2004 745li (the "Bangle Butt" version) that I bought as a CPO and had no real problems during five years of ownership. This in spite of the fact that there were also many reported problems and issues with that model and year.

I do love the GT. It is smooth, powerful, and beautiful. Not to mention the practicality of the hatchback design for transporting stuff. So I am not inclined to emulate Chicken Little because of the CCP and worries about out-of-warranty disasters.

Just wondering what others think of owning a BMW which has the N63 engine. Is it panic time, or is it possible that the dire predictions might be more than a little hype?

Last edited by HermanRubin; 01-31-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #315
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanRubin View Post
Just wondering what others think of owning a BMW which has the N63 engine. Is it panic time, or is it possible that the dire predictions might be more than a little hype?
You already bought the car, so it's too late to be asking these questions... All you can do if you want to keep it is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If it was me, I would sell it if the loss in selling it wasn't very large, or keep it if the loss would be large.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #316
Milestune
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

N63 Does EVERYONE have problems????

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a 5 with N63. Now that I'm reading all these posts, I'm getting cold feet.

Are all of these engines junk, or has CCP taken care of them?
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #317
HermanRubin
Registered
Rep

That was my question as well: Should you steer clear of all models equipped with the N63 engine, or is the CCP a permanent cure?

Well, based on my experience with previous BMWs, I'd say the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. BMW does innovate. They constantly change their engine designs, and as a result, there are frequently design issues that surface early on.

The fact that BMW has gotten out in front of the issues with the Customer Care Package is a good sign. But, the best plan, if you are to fall victim to the charms of an N63-equipped bimmer (like my 550 GT) is to make sure you have a solid warranty.

So my plan is to buy an extended warranty once my CPO warranty is about to expire (I have heard good things about Route66, BTW).

That way I can eat my cake and have it, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #318
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanRubin View Post
So my plan is to buy an extended warranty once my CPO warranty is about to expire (I have heard good things about Route66, BTW).

That way I can eat my cake and have it, too.
A warranty may pay for the repairs, but you still have to deal with all the hassles, time, and energy drain of facing car problems.

Also, who is going to perform these repairs, and how good are they? I don't have a good experience with these kinds of repairs - they are often not done 100% right and/or other problems are introduced ("collateral damage" of the repair).

It's better to move on than try to deal with it, even with a warranty.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      02-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #319
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

Visualguy, it seems you're on a crusade against the N63. It's pretty clear you don't like them and that's fine. For long term durability, nothing can match the 300 cubic inch Straight 6 in my '92 Ford F-150... which I sold years ago for a bigger, more powerful, more likely to break version which I much prefer.

I think you've adequately warned the universe that the N63 does not meet with your approval, and that's fine and even commendable. However, if you keep repeating yourself I can't help but wonder the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #320
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
Visualguy, it seems you're on a crusade against the N63. It's pretty clear you don't like them and that's fine. For long term durability, nothing can match the 300 cubic inch Straight 6 in my '92 Ford F-150... which I sold years ago for a bigger, more powerful, more likely to break version which I much prefer.

I think you've adequately warned the universe that the N63 does not meet with your approval, and that's fine and even commendable. However, if you keep repeating yourself I can't help but wonder the purpose.
Huh? How did a post about warranty trigger this?

Also, you don't even seem to own one of these, so where is your insight coming from?

If you don't own it, at least start by reading the various BMW docs about the N63, N63TU, and N63TU2 to gain some insight into the various issues and resulting design improvements to address them. Also, there's a lot of good information from N63 owners in 5/6/7 series forums.

I'm actually hoping BMW gets it right in the N63TU2, and will consider a G30 550i if they finally manage to fix issues such as the excessive oil consumption.

As I mentioned above, I'm not a big believer in having engine work done. This has nothing to do with the N63 in particular. All these modern engines are complex, and I wouldn't trust the service department to get it 100% right and not cause other damage. It's really hard work, and you need a lot of patience, attention to detail, and training. That's the reason I don't believe in warranty as the solution, and believe in moving on. That's based on over 30 years of experience in owning many cars, and has nothing to do with the N63 in particular - it's true for any engine with issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:34 PM   #321
HermanRubin
Registered
Rep

I do think you raise some valid points, visualguy. I also have a long history owning automobiles of various makes - 40 years in my case.

Yes, today's engines are complex, but they can be serviced, even those with issues (and I have had a bunch of those).

Moreover, even in cases where a given engine design is not known for flaws leading to problems, there are problematic cars. I once had two Audi 90 Quattros (back in the 1980's). Identical models, except for color and trim. And yet one was a lemon and one ran with nary an issue.

If you find a good mechanic and have a good warranty (and there are plenty of lousy choices in each category), you can deal with problems, especially if you like and enjoy your car.

I do think the BMW 550 GT is a phenomenal car, and my choice is to arm myself with good tech support and a good warranty rather than assume the worst and take a loss.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #322
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

The N63 isn't as bad as people keep making it seem. I ACTUALLY have high mileage on mine and haven't had a single major issue.

BMW came out with the CCP to correct faulty parts and PREVENT any potential issues in the future.

For some reason, this whole thing has been blown out of proportion within the past 30 days on the forum. Maybe it's due to depreciation of value with the early model F10's. Everyone's financial situation is different, and owning a nice luxury 400hp beast is many peoples dream but buying the car is honestly the more simple part. If you can't afford to maintain it, you shouldn't buy the vehicle. Regarding the CCP, it's been out for years now. Let BMW honor and fix their fault through the CCP and enjoy your car. There are worst cars out there. E90/E92/E60 335/M3/M5 respectively had it MUCH WORSE yet people still buy those models. The N63 isn't that bad, there's no history of throwing rods or engines blowing up. If you honestly want 100% piece of mind, easy maintenance, cost effectiveness, and longevity all in one package. Get a Honda or Acura. And I'm not saying that to insult/degrade either brand. My 1997 Accord has 275,000 miles on it and is running strong.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 02-08-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #323
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
The N63 isn't as bad as people keep making it seem. I ACTUALLY have high mileage on mine and haven't had a single major issue.

BMW came out with the CCP to correct faulty parts and PREVENT any potential issues in the future.

Agree
I look after quite a few here and they are trouble free, except for one that needed 1 ignition coil changed 2 years ago.
Ive had countless ignition coils go on 3 Series but only one on a N63 (5 or 7 Series).
No other problems what so ever.

BMW here dont even have CCP and only fix cars that have actual problems.
      03-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #324
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Must we trade-in our N63 cars to use the CCP credit toward the purchase / lease of a new BMW?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #325
tidal k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f01 750i

Don't get coldfeet man, That's what I felt too with my f01, but it runs just fine around the track n still feels solid.

http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304789

I just change my oil every 5000; and once a month put in some fuel injector cleaner to be safe. so far im @ 53,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestune View Post
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a 5 with N63. Now that I'm reading all these posts, I'm getting cold feet.

Are all of these engines junk, or has CCP taken care of them?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #326
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
Had the service recall done about 3 weeks ago. 2011 550i 58k miles.

Once every 5 start ups I'd say, it gets that weird crank sound directly after starting the car, similar to if you were to turn the key on an already started car.

Does anybody else still get this sound after getting the service recall done?
Dude am I glad you spoke about this weird crank I thought is fine.
It doesn't do it all the time just sometimes.
What have you done to get this fixed if anything?
anything you have to share please do.
Thanks in advance
      09-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #327
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Haven't done anything yet. I can't remember it happening since like 3 months ago. I believe someone said it might be something alternator / starter related. It usually happens in the winter time when its crazy cold if I remember correctly .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #328
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92
Haven't done anything yet. I can't remember it happening since like 3 months ago. I believe someone said it might be something alternator / starter related. It usually happens in the winter time when its crazy cold if I remember correctly .
I had the over crank issue, its the starter, get it replaced before your warranty expires!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #329
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Just received the attached from BMW of Manhattan.

Note their “Customer Care Package”.

LMFAO! :|
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #330
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

My AC return under passenger side footwell started sounding like a diesel engine was under there when cranking on the system.
Took it in yesterday, and here are the issues:

1 Blower Housing Cover with Integrated Filter-Must Remove Debris
1 Upper and Lower Oil Pan Gaskets - Leaking
4 Turbo Coolant Hoses - Leaking
1 Ventilation Hose Between Cylinder Heads - Leak

It's almost as if BMW designed this engine to singlehandedly pay for a new corporate jet. Hopefully at least some of this is under my extended warranty. Nothing I've taken it in for since last November (when I bought it) has covered repairs yet. I'm really starting to get sick of this. My car JUST his 61k miles, I garage it, keep it nice inside in and out, drive it hard like it's supposed to when I get a chance, and is about to have it's 5th birthday next month from original construction date.