2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Sports Auto Box

10-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
HUFFY
Rep
Drives: F11 520DM SPORT

Sports Auto Box

Hi I ordered a F11 520dm sports touring which is on its way. It comes with Sports Auto Gearbox, and I am now wondering, if it can be unselected from sports to 'normal' mode. Also does the sports auto gearbox mean it hands for longer in each gear and that the revs will be higher in each gear. If its deselected from sports mode. I am in my sixtys and want a comfort ride not a sports ride. The dealer informed me the 8 speed box can be driven normaly, ie no sports. Help please.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

The normal and sport modes are switchable (pull gear lever to the left for sport mode... in the UK where you don't drive on the right side of the road that would probably be push ), and the default when getting out of "Park" or "Reverse" is normal mode. So don't worry.
      10-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
HUFFY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
The normal and sport modes are switchable (pull gear lever to the left for sport mode... in the UK where you don't drive on the right side of the road that would probably be push ), and the default when getting out of "Park" or "Reverse" is normal mode. So don't worry.
Thanks for that, so why do BMW fit two Auto box's to the 5 series (one normal and one for sports models). And just to recap, if I just put the box into drive and use it, the gearbox will be normal? ie 'no high revs' no hanging about in all gears for speed' and above all nice and quiet !
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFY View Post
Thanks for that, so why do BMW fit two Auto box's to the 5 series (one normal and one for sports models). And just to recap, if I just put the box into drive and use it, the gearbox will be normal? ie 'no high revs' no hanging about in all gears for speed' and above all nice and quiet !
That's right. The default from starting the car is normal mode.

Have you ordered the VDC option? This offers two "comfort" modes for the chassis and drivetrain settings and two sports modes, plus (in 2012 Model Year cars like yours) an "Eco-Drive Pro" setting for maximum economy. (Incidentally, you will also now have engine start/stop, which up to 2012 was only available on manual gearbox cars.)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFFY View Post
Yes, stop worrying, you'll be fine.

The reason for two transmissions is, well, to make more money off options. The sport auto gearbox comes with a nicer shifter, shift paddles, and shifts a bit quicker in normal mode than the regular gearbox. But the shifting points should be the same, i.e. no high revs.

In my 535i my car is very "diesel-like", in that it upshifts below 2,000 RPM on a normal basis. I cruise normally around 1,100 to 1,500 RPM. Very odd for a petrol engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, stop worrying, you'll be fine.

The reason for two transmissions is, well, to make more money off options. The sport auto gearbox comes with a nicer shifter, shift paddles, and shifts a bit quicker in normal mode than the regular gearbox. But the shifting points should be the same, i.e. no high revs.

In my 535i my car is very "diesel-like", in that it upshifts below 2,000 RPM on a normal basis. I cruise normally around 1,100 to 1,500 RPM. Very odd for a petrol engine.
That's not quite right (unless I misunderstood)......

I have sports auto; it has the nicer shifter and the paddles as described above. It operates by default in Normal mode. 8 speed gearbox, shifts gear at quite low revs, stays in the highest gear possible relative to the circumstances.

You can select by button Sports mode. In sports mode it remains in automatic, but does rev higher and shift later. It stays in a lower gear ready to be more responsive when you need it.

For me, Sports mode is also Town mode. that's not to say I tear around built up areas like a lunatic, it's more that the sports mode has the responsiveness I think I need when navigating junctions, roundabouts etc. in moderate to high traffic.

Normal mode for me is cruise mode and as I spend lots of time on the motorway I am normally in this mode.

In 18,000 miles I have averaged a lifetime MPG of 45.4 with this gearbox on my 520 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Shake n Bake I fully agree, the throttle response is to lethargic in normal mode which makes town driving quite a chore. I have my sport button set to alter drive train and chassis which gives a nice steering feel and better throttle response. If I use the motorway I manually change to 8th gear and flick the lever over to manual, when exiting the motorway I just flick it back to auto. I also use sport + quite a lot which in my opinion further improves steering feel, I never drive in Normal mode. My car does not have VDC but has Sports Auto and only has 17" wheels but I think it drives / handles very well. Having come from an E61 I an not disappointed. Like you over the past 12000 miles I have averaged just shy of 46mpg.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
That's not quite right (unless I misunderstood)......
Sooooo what's not quite right about what I wrote? You just expounded on the difference between Normal Drive and Sport. The standard transmission has this as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Sooooo what's not quite right about what I wrote? You just expounded on the difference between Normal Drive and Sport. The standard transmission has this as well.
The bit about "But the shifting points should be the same, i.e. no high revs". Everything else was correct, this bit isn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
The bit about "But the shifting points should be the same, i.e. no high revs". Everything else was correct, this bit isn't.
I'm talking about the difference between the Sport auto box and the standard box, not the sport and standard drive MODES.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
HUFFY
Rep

Thanks guys for the info, I'm more lost now. However I'm picking the car up 6 November. Will let you all know. I'm not sure if it has VDC option (if it has I didn't pay for it) however the dealer tells me it has a 'sport and normal' button alongside the gear shift. So I'm now not sure what this does either? Obviously the gear shift can be manually pushed over for sports driving. I think BMW should have more info on there sites, because often the dealers don't know all the bits and bobs of the cars?
Appreciate 0