2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes How much does wheel offset matter?

01-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
5ser
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Smile How much does wheel offset matter?

Hi everyone.
As I'm in the process of choosing new wheels, these following questions popped up in my mind:
How much does wheel offset matter? As long as the wheels fit and don't rub anything, should we pay attention to other things? Would a different wheel offset (compared to stock), thus different lateral wheel position, significantly affect suspension/handling or any other things?
I came across this offset calculator (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp). With this calculator, we can 'see' how the 'new wheels' would be positioned in relative to 'current wheels'. The calculator calculates how many millimeter the new wheels would deviate from the current wheels. I used this to check some new wheels (that I'm interested in) and see how the new wheels deviate from stock wheels. And the result is:
Inner clearance 3mm less and Outer position extend an extra 23mm.

Is there a definitive guideline like: as long as the deviation is within certain mm and the wheels don't rub anything, means that the new wheels are suitable?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Eff-10
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black F10

I would take the measurements you have now and measure it out 23mm to see how much clearance you have physically. I don't think there is a definitive deviation since all wheels are different and there are other contributing factors (width, tire size, etc) that effect the fitment of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

What type of size offsets are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
5ser
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Thanks for the replies.

I used the calculator to check a particular wheel that is 20 x 10" ET 34. BMW OEM 20" wheels for F10 would have 20 x 9", ET 44. I know from some members of this forum that they have installed this particular wheel to their F10. They find the wheels fit fine and don't rub anything. However, I wonder, although they don't rub anything, would the different offset, thus different lateral wheel position compared to 'stock', significantly affect suspension/handling or any other things (that might be harmful yet not noticeable)?
Appreciate 0