2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BMW F10 520D 2015 Engine fault

11-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
daffman_123
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D 2015

BMW F10 520D 2015 Engine fault

Hey guys can anyone help me. So i woke up today and when i went to start my bmw 520d f10 2015 it was fine then i put it in drive and went about 40ft then the car just lost all power (i didn't accelerate hard just normal) and then it put itself in neutral. i pushed it to the side and opened the bonnet (hood) and checked for obvious issues but i couldn't see any. I went to start it and it cranks for about 4 seconds then finally starts but sounds horrible when it finally starts then stays started for around 2-3 seconds then stalls out and doesn't let me add any throttle. The car has 2 recalls one for an EGR valve and another for some cooler i'm not exactly sure. Its heading to bmw on 10th November 2023 on a tow truck. Does anyone know what the issue could be as ive asked a few people and most of them have said it could be timing chain which could be true as these engines suffer from the timing chain tensioners snapping but can a car even start with a slipping/non existent timing chain? Praying that its something small as if its the timing chain thats the engine gone. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Appreciate 0