2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications BMW F10 535i Xdrive Transfer case, Front, and Rear Differential Procedure?

02-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

BMW F10 535i Xdrive Transfer case, Front, and Rear Differential Procedure?

Is anyone experience with changing the fluid in the above mentioned areas? What types of fluid will I need and if possible, links? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
AlexRF10
Rep
Drives: BMW 535IX

I just did front and rear diff in mine. I used Liquimoly 75w-90 for both. FCP Euro sells a change kit with plugs. Looks like BMW switched to 75w-85 for later build dates, I'm not sure if it really matters. You need to suck out the rear fluid with a pump and a hose with a bend or I used a bent brake line to reach the bottom of the diff. There's YouTube videos for the rear diff. For the front you need to take off the bottom front cover that looks like thin carpet then the metal shield under the oil pan. Then you'll see the diff drain plug and the fill plug is on the driver side close to where the axle connects. They sell a wrench to get to it from the bottom but I took the side plastic off the driver side wheel well with an extension and a wobble on a 14mm hex socket. You'll need the pump or just the rubber hose to fill with the new fluid too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRF10 View Post
I just did front and rear diff in mine. I used Liquimoly 75w-90 for both. FCP Euro sells a change kit with plugs. Looks like BMW switched to 75w-85 for later build dates, I'm not sure if it really matters. You need to suck out the rear fluid with a pump and a hose with a bend or I used a bent brake line to reach the bottom of the diff. There's YouTube videos for the rear diff. For the front you need to take off the bottom front cover that looks like thin carpet then the metal shield under the oil pan. Then you'll see the diff drain plug and the fill plug is on the driver side close to where the axle connects. They sell a wrench to get to it from the bottom but I took the side plastic off the driver side wheel well with an extension and a wobble on a 14mm hex socket. You'll need the pump or just the rubber hose to fill with the new fluid too.
How much front diff fluid did you need? Someone told me 1L and that seems like a lot for a front diff

Also, isn't OEM rear diff fluid GL-4? The liquid moly and red line ones are all GL-5. Dunno if it's safe to replace GL-4 with GL-5
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
AlexRF10
Rep

The front was less than 1L, maybe 3/4. Rear was 1L, so you need to buy 2L anyway.

I think it depends on your build date, looks like they went from gl5 to gl4 but the diffs between dates are still the same part number. ECS has liquimoly gl4+ if you want to use that one. I don't think the diffs are that sensitive between the two different fluids, unlike the transfer case.

Looks like BMW switched to 75w-85 for build dates after 6/2011, but the oem BMW 75w-85 fluid is offered as gl4 or gl5 for the exact same diff, that's why I think it's up to preference.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #5
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your reply Alex, have you had any experience with the transfer case yet? Thinking to get that done while under there
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:58 AM   #6
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
Thanks for your reply Alex, have you had any experience with the transfer case yet? Thinking to get that done while under there
I just did the transfer case, front diff, rear diff, and trans. Bought my supplies from FCP Euro and ECS.

The transfer fluid I used...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-shell-pa...222409710~shl/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I did front/rear last spring. Transfer case will be this spring.

Choosing a fluid seems a little - tricky. I am, generally speaking, an "aftermarket" fluid kind of guy. I've used Redline or Amsoil (heavier emphasis on Amsoil in recent years) in the drivelines of all of my cars with success and savings. The catch is that in all of those cases, the specifications of the original fluids are pretty straightforward, and matching requirements using non-OEM fluids has been pretty easy.

I found the F10 was trickier. Using my own research, the Internet, the dealer Parts counter and the dealer Service rep, we had some difficulty.

For the rear diff, BMW says this:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ide/1VnczONFlo

To me this translated to the vehicle almost certainly coming with SAF-XO. This has been a rear diff fluid for decades and is essentially any GL-5 75W90 gear oil. Easy peasy.

For the front diff, BMW says this:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ion/1VndAkI4Dp

This clearly indicates that SAF-XO, Synthetik OSP and all the other "rear diff" fluids are NOT recommended for my front diff. The parts system seems to further confuse things with supercession history, date limits that are confusing etc...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0871

Further, different part systems (like ETK at the dealer, and bimmercat, show slightly different details. There seems to be a magic build date in 7/2011 where different fluids are forbidden on one side or the other, but none of the hard parts seemed to change on that date. I have a 3 or 4/2011 build date.

So, in the end, I ended up with Amsoil SVG in the rear and genuine BMW G2 in the front. It was expensive, but SAF-XO is expressly NOT recommended/allowed so I wasn't taking the chance on some internal corrosion damage resulting from my insistence on an aftermarket fluid based on the confusing presentation of acceptable/recommended fluids from BMW.

For the transfer case, nothing but OE all the way. It's very exotic and has also been updated a couple of times. I'll buy it from somewhere less expensive like FCP though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #8
AlexRF10
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I haven't had the time yet. Looks like I'll just take the fill plug out and use a pump with a bent brake line but cut the flare off the end so it's smooth and won't get hung up on a gear to reach the bottom of the case and suck out the old fluid. Then fill with bmw fluid or the oem ATC fluid since ATC makes the transfer case. I believe you need to reset the transfer case adaptions afterwards. I'll be using ISTA, maybe you can use another program.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
AlexRF10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I did front/rear last spring. Transfer case will be this spring.

Choosing a fluid seems a little - tricky. I am, generally speaking, an "aftermarket" fluid kind of guy. I've used Redline or Amsoil (heavier emphasis on Amsoil in recent years) in the drivelines of all of my cars with success and savings. The catch is that in all of those cases, the specifications of the original fluids are pretty straightforward, and matching requirements using non-OEM fluids has been pretty easy.

I found the F10 was trickier. Using my own research, the Internet, the dealer Parts counter and the dealer Service rep, we had some difficulty.

For the rear diff, BMW says this:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-xdrive-lim_201104/repair-manuals/33-rear-axle-rear-wheel-drive-guide/1VnczONFlo

To me this translated to the vehicle almost certainly coming with SAF-XO. This has been a rear diff fluid for decades and is essentially any GL-5 75W90 gear oil. Easy peasy.

For the front diff, BMW says this:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-xdrive-lim_201104/repair-manuals/31-front-axle-front-suspension/1VndAkI4Dp

This clearly indicates that SAF-XO, Synthetik OSP and all the other "rear diff" fluids are NOT recommended for my front diff. The parts system seems to further confuse things with supercession history, date limits that are confusing etc...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FU73-USA-04-2011-F10-BMW-535iX&diagId=31_0871

Further, different part systems (like ETK at the dealer, and bimmercat, show slightly different details. There seems to be a magic build date in 7/2011 where different fluids are forbidden on one side or the other, but none of the hard parts seemed to change on that date. I have a 3 or 4/2011 build date.

So, in the end, I ended up with Amsoil SVG in the rear and genuine BMW G2 in the front. It was expensive, but SAF-XO is expressly NOT recommended/allowed so I wasn't taking the chance on some internal corrosion damage resulting from my insistence on an aftermarket fluid based on the confusing presentation of acceptable/recommended fluids from BMW.

For the transfer case, nothing but OE all the way. It's very exotic and has also been updated a couple of times. I'll buy it from somewhere less expensive like FCP though.
Good info but I'm not seeing anything about the front and rear fluids are not compatible. On the realoem link the front fluid part number is the exact same fluid part number for the rear for build dates after 7/11. And when you click on the old fluid part number for the front it says it's exchangeable retrospectively with the new fluid part number. So seems like the SAF-XO is compatible with OSP.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Good info but I'm not seeing anything about the front and rear fluids are not compatible. On the realoem link the front fluid part number is the exact same fluid part number for the rear for build dates after 7/11. And when you click on the old fluid part number for the front it says it's exchangeable retrospectively with the new fluid part number. So seems like the SAF-XO is compatible with OSP.
Here's a picture I didn't paste, it's at the link for front diff fluid:

It says only G2 for the F10 (and most other models).

This is the "conflicting" information of which I speak.

For the REAR, many fluids are OK. For the front, TIS says only G2, ETK is less specific implying that many work.

Personally, I like the TIS bulletins dated recently clearly stated what fluids are acceptable at the time of publishing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
AlexRF10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here's a picture I didn't paste, it's at the link for front diff fluid:

It says only G2 for the F10 (and most other models).

This is the "conflicting" information of which I speak.

For the REAR, many fluids are OK. For the front, TIS says only G2, ETK is less specific implying that many work.

Personally, I like the TIS bulletins dated recently clearly stated what fluids are acceptable at the time of publishing.
I did see the chart in the link just wasn't sure what I was looking at. I didn't know if the (x) means ok or not ok. I've never used tis. I just went of the info from realoem and a call to fcp before I changed mine. The gl2 part number from realoem pulls up a bottle of gl5 75w-85. I put 75w-90 gl5, I don't think the diffs are anything near as picky as the transfer case or trans so I doubt my differential will blow up lol. Hopefully a knowledge mechanic or tech will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I did see the chart in the link just wasn't sure what I was looking at. I didn't know if the (x) means ok or not ok. I've never used tis. I just went of the info from realoem and a call to fcp before I changed mine. The gl2 part number from realoem pulls up a bottle of gl5 75w-85. I put 75w-90 gl5, I don't think the diffs are anything near as picky as the transfer case or trans so I doubt my differential will blow up lol. Hopefully a knowledge mechanic or tech will chime in.
And therein is the rub - realoem (parts system) lists fluids, start and stop dates, supercession etc.... TIS (the service information system) says only one fluid is OK for the front diff and that's G2.

Why are they so specific about fluid for the front diff when the rear can use a wide range of fluids? I have no idea, but there's probably a reason. I don't buy the conspiracy theorists who believe that BMW would do something like spec an oddball fluid in one component just to generate extra revenue when vehicles are in for service. They themselves say you never have to change that fluid, in theory. Maintaining a special fluid in parts and inventory must have a reason. I just wish I knew what it was. Sometimes it's working around problems discovered in the field after failures.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:31 PM   #13
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

I used this on my 2013. Running well.

Red Line 50504 MT-85 75W85 GL-4, 1 Quart, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D4URV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.BFwEb394NSA3
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #14
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
I used this on my 2013. Running well.

Red Line 50504 MT-85 75W85 GL-4, 1 Quart, 1 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004D4URV6..._.BFwEb394NSA3
MT-85 specifically states it is not for differentials with hypoid gears, which I believe our rear diffs have.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:35 PM   #15
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And therein is the rub - realoem (parts system) lists fluids, start and stop dates, supercession etc.... TIS (the service information system) says only one fluid is OK for the front diff and that's G2.

Why are they so specific about fluid for the front diff when the rear can use a wide range of fluids? I have no idea, but there's probably a reason. I don't buy the conspiracy theorists who believe that BMW would do something like spec an oddball fluid in one component just to generate extra revenue when vehicles are in for service. They themselves say you never have to change that fluid, in theory. Maintaining a special fluid in parts and inventory must have a reason. I just wish I knew what it was. Sometimes it's working around problems discovered in the field after failures.
Thanks for the info man, you're truly a great help. If you do plan on doing the transfer case, let me know. I'm curious as to how I'm going to reach in there for the fill plug. I saw some videos of the f30 DIY which needed some things taken down, but then again it's a completely different chassis.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:38 PM   #16
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, change of subject, but does anyone know how to drain the coolant on the f10? I'm assuming it's a quick lower radiator hose pull and drain. Hahaha too lazy to start a new thread
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #17
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You said your build date was 03 or 04/2011. I see where you're coming from when TIS said that the only thing to use was G2, but from all other websites it says to that BMW Synthetiks OSP works till 07/2011 and then G2 from then after. At this point with all this confusion I might as well just go for G2 since it works fine with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 01:46 AM   #18
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You said your build date was 03 or 04/2011. I see where you're coming from when TIS said that the only thing to use was G2, but from all other websites it says to that BMW Synthetiks OSP works till 07/2011 and then G2 from then after. At this point with all this confusion I might as well just go for G2 since it works fine with you.
I'd suggest just going with Red Line 75W-85 GL-5. They list that it's recommended for G2 applications. The biggest issue with the OEM G2 is that they sell them only in 500ML bottles and you need 600ML, which is pretty infuriating given how expensive the G2 is.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #19
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info man, you're truly a great help. If you do plan on doing the transfer case, let me know. I'm curious as to how I'm going to reach in there for the fill plug. I saw some videos of the f30 DIY which needed some things taken down, but then again it's a completely different chassis.
I will be doing the transfer case this spring. I only have 80,000km on the car. It is my second transfer case, and this case has already had a fluid change once so I'm not overdue.

In my research it wasn't that hard to get to, but not as easy as on the X cars obviously. I have some low profile hex sockets that should be able to reach up to the fill hole OK. When I did the transmission, I removed some heat shielding to give easier access to the fill hole. I can't remember if there's a similar helpful step for the transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:
I'd suggest just going with Red Line 75W-85 GL-5. They list that it's recommended for G2 applications. The biggest issue with the OEM G2 is that they sell them only in 500ML bottles and you need 600ML, which is pretty infuriating given how expensive the G2 is.
Is this the fluid that you went with?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #21
AlexRF10
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I put my vin in Rheingold looks like we have two options of transfer cases. ATC 35L (no drain plug) and ATC 350 (with a drain plug). Looks like you just remove underbody cover and there is a small cross member under the case with only a few bolts holding it. It says to take out the member and put some kind of support under the case. ATC 350 has a drain on the bottom I think towards the transmission side. The fill plug on both cases is on the side next to the little ecu. Doesn't look like a hard job, I'll let you know when I get under there.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #22
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is this the fluid that you went with?
It's the fluid I'm planning on using, yep.

Quote:
When I put my vin in Rheingold looks like we have two options of transfer cases. ATC 35L (no drain plug) and ATC 350 (with a drain plug). Looks like you just remove underbody cover and there is a small cross member under the case with only a few bolts holding it. It says to take out the member and put some kind of support under the case. ATC 350 has a drain on the bottom I think towards the transmission side. The fill plug on both cases is on the side next to the little ecu. Doesn't look like a hard job, I'll let you know when I get under there.
Yea, the trans will sag a little if you don't support it, but it's also not a big deal if you don't, just don't drive like that. I use my jack for things like that. Good luck!
Appreciate 0