2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Heated Steering wheel DIY

12-31-2023, 06:35 PM   #23
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraturion View Post
Bought an 61319354048 but the car want to program it away with ista, it refuses this steering wheel colum. Thought maybe I only have a useless hba button, but the colum works but is not accepted by the ecu.
Not sure what you are stating, so I apologize if I miss understand your ask...

If you do NOT have HBA, adding a clock spring that has the HBA button on the left stalk, as found on 6139354048, does NOT enable HBA. If you want to FDL code HBA on your vehicle, then you also need to add the other components too.

You need KAFAS, or a rearview mirror with the HBA sensor on it connected to the CAN bus. Then FDL code HBA, which will require an FDL code change to KOMBI, and HBA should be enabled. After coding, two green light icons should show up on your instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:01 AM   #24
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarron5 View Post
Does anyone have a part number for an F11 SZL where heating = yes and HBA = no?
Obviously different to F10 part as I need to be able to activate the rear wiper. Thanks in advance.
This is the part number that has heating and lacks HBA

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:08 AM   #25
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

I got around to install the parts needed for this retrofit on my F11. The coding went well. I can see the steering electronics module, and I can activate the switch, but there is no heating. ISTA doesn't have any errors. I'm not sure if it has functions to activate heating from Ista since it has the old FRM module. I can see I have voltage on the A92*1B connector that plugs behind the clock spring on pings 9 and 11, with pin 9 being the + and having continuity. I haven't tested anything else since it was midnight by the time I got to this step.

Any pointers I can get of possible pitfalls???

The steering wheel is dead cold and the switch LED light stays on forever when activated.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 05:46 PM   #26
Feraturion
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Not sure what you are stating, so I apologize if I miss understand your ask...
Im not looking to retrofit hba

Im looking for an szl for an f10 pre-lci (have an f02) where I can insert the plug for the heated steering wheel without the hba button.

The 61319354047 does not have the heating connections on front of the szl, the 61319354048 does have the connections but haves the hba button I don't want.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 06:11 PM   #27
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport_Jon View Post
I got around to install the parts needed for this retrofit on my F11. The coding went well. I can see the steering electronics module, and I can activate the switch, but there is no heating. ISTA doesn't have any errors. I'm not sure if it has functions to activate heating from Ista since it has the old FRM module. I can see I have voltage on the A92*1B connector that plugs behind the clock spring on pings 9 and 11, with pin 9 being the + and having continuity. I haven't tested anything else since it was midnight by the time I got to this step.

Any pointers I can get of possible pitfalls???

The steering wheel is dead cold and the switch LED light stays on forever when activated.
Did you update your steering wheel electronic module to support heating? If so...great, the next step would be to FDL code heated steering in the SZL.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:26 AM   #28
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you update your steering wheel electronic module to support heating? If so...great, the next step would be to FDL code heated steering in the SZL.
So I bought the heated steering wheel that supports heat and vibe. it came with the vibe motor and the module. This should be enough. I will not be using the vibe function but it should do the heating just fine or so I thought...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #29
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I bought the heated steering wheel that supports heat and vibe. it came with the vibe motor and the module. This should be enough. I will not be using the vibe function but it should do the heating just fine or so I thought...
If you plan to use the steering wheel electronic's module (the unit that plugs directly into the steering wheel heating element and vibration motor), that is tucked away on the right side of the steering wheel, you will always get an ISTA LIN bus error. This should NOT hinder your vehicle or the steering wheels ability to heat. If you want the LIN bus error to go away, you'll need a steering wheel electronics module that only supports heating.

Did you ever get your heating element to work 100%?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:07 PM   #30
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you plan to use the steering wheel electronic's module (the unit that plugs directly into the steering wheel heating element and vibration motor), that is tucked away on the right side of the steering wheel, you will always get an ISTA LIN bus error. This should NOT hinder your vehicle or the steering wheels ability to heat. If you want the LIN bus error to go away, you'll need a steering wheel electronics module that only supports heating.

Did you ever get your heating element to work 100%?
The steering wheel element does not heat up. Based on your information, I suspect the steering wheel electronics module is to blame. All VO coding has been done on the car, all wires were run from the JBE boxes in the front to the clock spring harness, and I do not see any LIN bus errors in ISTA. I do not see the steering wheel electronics module listed in the vehicle tree. I am not 100% if this is one of those modules that should appear in the vehicle tree in ISTA.

I can invoke heating functions in ISTA using and as expected the current consumption on the steering wheel is 0.00a

I am inclined to buy the right module for the car but wanted to see if there are more areas I can look at. What are the odds that the clock spring is to blame??
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:10 PM   #31
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the resistance of the heater element and the resistance of the thermistor.

If both check out good and your heating doesn't work, it would be an electronic module issue.

Values are posted in this post (see Post #15)https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783003

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 01-04-2024 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 02:49 AM   #32
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the resistance of the heater element and the resistance of the thermistor.

If both check out good and your heating doesn't work, it would be an electronic module issue.

Values are posted in this post (see Post #15)https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783003
Will do. Shouldn't the LRE module show up on ISTA's vehicle tree, though? Because, in my case, this module is nowhere to be found.

So, to confirm, the connector at the 5 o'clock mark on the steering wheel is just for current going to the heating element and for the thermistor sensor. If left unplugged, the LRE module should still show up in ISTA. Is this a true statement??

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 01-05-2024 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:38 AM   #33
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Shouldn't the LRE module show up on ISTA's vehicle tree, though? Because, in my case, this module is nowhere to be found.

So, to confirm, the connector at the 5 o'clock mark on the steering wheel is just for current going to the heating element and for the thermistor sensor. If left unplugged, the LRE module should still show up in ISTA. Is this a true statement??
The only module that shows up on the control unit tree related to heating is the SZL.

The thermistor feedback to PWM heating element adjustment is done in the steering wheel electronics module.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 03:51 AM   #34
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only module that shows up on the control unit tree related to heating is the SZL.

The thermistor feedback to PWM heating element adjustment is done in the steering wheel electronics module.
Ebay strikes again... ( I remember. asking the seller if the steering wheel was heated)

So, I finally got to the bottom of the problem. The steering wheel isn't heated. The heating element is missing. The LRA has the pins for it ( I think) though, and has the vibe motor connected. I'm stuck with a steering wheel that doesn't do anything for me now. Any pointers? Can I buy the heated steering wheel and reuse the module that supports the vibe??

Here is the LRA module on my steering wheel. As you can see, the third connector in the middle is unpopulated and the wire going into the steering wheel handle is missing. All there is left is the wire for the vibe motor and the LIN and power upstream cable.

What I would like to know if this LRE module supports heating. My gut feeling tells me no but I can ask the experts here to set me straight.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 01-06-2024 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:44 PM   #35
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ebay strikes again... ( I remember. asking the seller if the steering wheel was heated)

So, I finally got to the bottom of the problem. The steering wheel isn't heated. The heating element is missing. The LRA has the pins for it ( I think) though, and has the vibe motor connected. I'm stuck with a steering wheel that doesn't do anything for me now. Any pointers? Can I buy the heated steering wheel and reuse the module that supports the vibe??

Here is the LRA module on my steering wheel. As you can see, the third connector in the middle is unpopulated and the wire going into the steering wheel handle is missing. All there is left is the wire for the vibe motor and the LIN and power upstream cable.

What I would like to know if this LRE module supports heating. My gut feeling tells me no but I can ask the experts here to set me straight.

No it does not.....

But, for example, if the part number's last digit were a '0' instead of a '1', then yes it would support heating. I wouldn't necessarily go get 61319218830 tho, but it would work.....

(see RealOEM catalog snippet below....)
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 01-06-2024 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 01:39 PM   #36
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No it does not.....

But, for example, if the part number's last digit were a '0' instead of a '1', then yes it would support heating. I wouldn't necessarily go get 61319218830 tho, but it would work.....

(see RealOEM catalog snippet below....)
Damn... I have a completely useless steering wheel that I am about to throw in the river... I have no recourse with eBay since its been so long since I acquired the steering wheel and the seller probably will laugh at me...

At least I know why the heating doesn't work... I'm gonna have to fork up some more cash to get this going since I am so deep in it already...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:52 PM   #37
ooGQoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series F11

Good evening all from the UK.

It’s been really eye opening reading through this post, I’ve recently fitted and coded the heated steering wheel function to my brothers F22 which is without paddles but has vibrio. The only hardware I needed was the lower cowling and the headed wheel button, then just some coding via bummer code in expert mode.

This reignited the the want to do it to my 2011 F11 (with M sport wheel and paddles) I haven’t taken the air bag out yet so I can’t confirm if it has vibro or heating element already there however, when looking on realOEM it only lists my steering wheel with heating and vibro displayed on the diagrams and description. Sadly, I don’t have lane assist or active cruse but I do have sign detection and auto high beams (I’m mentioning it all as someone more intelligent then me maybe able to say if you have this then you should have that, etc). Anyway, I coded the heating to active via bummer code on my F11 just to see as I had my brothers heater switch to try, I plugged it into my clock spring unit (which had all the pins in it) just hoping that it would work but when switch on the button never lit up. After feeling so close but so far away I started to do some research to see what I needed to get it working, which led me to think that it could only be done to F10/11’s that had electronicly adjustable steering columns UNTIL I read this post and on one of your guys PDF’s states the parts that I would need to fit it to one with a manual colum!

Given the above information could someone be kind enough to point me in the direction to start checking what I have and what I may need to do next please?

Thank you in advance for any help given.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:11 PM   #38
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Damn... I have a completely useless steering wheel that I am about to throw in the river... I have no recourse with eBay since its been so long since I acquired the steering wheel and the seller probably will laugh at me...

At least I know why the heating doesn't work... I'm gonna have to fork up some more cash to get this going since I am so deep in it already...
What steering wheel do you have and which one do you want? (Maybe show a picture of which one you want.)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:15 PM   #39
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooGQoo View Post

It’s been really eye opening reading through this post, I’ve recently fitted and coded the heated steering wheel function to my brothers F22 which is without paddles but has vibrio. The only hardware I needed was the lower cowling and the headed wheel button, then just some coding via bummer code in expert mode.

This reignited the the want to do it to my 2011 F11 (with M sport wheel and paddles) I haven’t taken the air bag out yet so I can’t confirm if it has vibro or heating element already there however, when looking on realOEM it only lists my steering wheel with heating and vibro displayed on the diagrams and description. Sadly, I don’t have lane assist or active cruse but I do have sign detection and auto high beams (I’m mentioning it all as someone more intelligent then me maybe able to say if you have this then you should have that, etc). Anyway, I coded the heating to active via bummer code on my F11 just to see as I had my brothers heater switch to try, I plugged it into my clock spring unit (which had all the pins in it) just hoping that it would work but when switch on the button never lit up. After feeling so close but so far away I started to do some research to see what I needed to get it working, which led me to think that it could only be done to F10/11’s that had electronicly adjustable steering columns UNTIL I read this post and on one of your guys PDF’s states the parts that I would need to fit it to one with a manual colum!

Given the above information could someone be kind enough to point me in the direction to start checking what I have and what I may need to do next please?

Let's check to see if you have power to the SZL and the heating steering wheel switch...all you need is a trim tool and pop off the top plastic cover to your steering column, and then the lower half can be removed.

If you take a picture of the lower bottom rear of the SZL, and post, we can determine your next step.
Appreciate 1
ooGQoo0.00
      01-08-2024, 01:52 AM   #40
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What steering wheel do you have and which one do you want? (Maybe show a picture of which one you want.)
I have the M Sport Pre LCI Steering wheel with paddle shifters.
similar to this one.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 02:05 AM   #41
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooGQoo View Post

So I was in the same boat when I started this project. I had HBA, Speed Limit Info with KAFAS and that was it which meant I needed a new clock spring since the one I had in the car would not have populated PINS at the 5 o clock connector or... jerry-rigg the connector for the airbag to supply power to the heating element which I really didn't want to do. Also needed the switch, and a heated steering wheel with a matching LRA module. Listen, if your car didn't come with it from BMW then, chances are that your clockspring is not the right one unless you got incredibly lucky.

I went to the clock spring way which meant that 2 wires had to be installed between the front JBE to the harness that connects to the clock spring on the back side facing the engine on pins 9 and 11.

After that, you can measure the voltage on pins 1 and 4 at the front of the clock spring at the 5 o'clock. Given you already have the right steering wheel (unlike me), the right LRA steering wheel electronics, and the added actuation button on the lower shell of the steering wheel column, all you will need at this point is to VO code the car.

My car is properly coded for it ATT. The light comes up, and I can see its functions and actuation in ISTA calling Module functions for the clock spring as I was told by M_Bimmer that the LRA is not a mappable or manageable module and will not show up in the vehicle tree. In my case, since I do not have the right steering wheel or steering wheel electronics, the consumption and temp will not be used or be accurate.

This is where I am ATT. Waiting on a new steering wheel to complete this project.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 01-09-2024 at 02:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
ooGQoo0.00
      01-08-2024, 10:35 PM   #42
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have the M Sport Pre LCI Steering wheel with paddle shifters.
similar to this one.
So the picture you provided is the steering wheel you are trying to retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 02:35 AM   #43
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the picture you provided is the steering wheel you are trying to retrofit?
No, I grabbed this one pic from the internet, but other than the controls and the stitch color, it's just about the same style. This is the style I want because the new LCI M Sport one is just too expensive. This is the style I need. i currently have 2 of those without heating elements and LRE that supports heating.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 01-09-2024 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 06:43 AM   #44
ooGQoo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 series F11

Update with pics

Good afternoon, I’m just with my car now (first chance I’ve had to take a look) attached are the pictures of my steering wheel bethind my air bag.

From what you can see there, does this show having heating? There’s no vibrio motor at the bottom so I know it doesn’t have that.

Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0